Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I'm in....

This sim really needs to be optimized. At O'Hare I get 17 fps but in P3Dv4 at O'Hare I get 27 fps in a much more complex aircraft. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

2 hours ago, AJT1967 said:

Pretty happy and impressed with what I've seen so far. Like a lot of others here, I've been simming since the days of Sublogic. Also a real world pilot with single and twin time. In all of that time, I've seen some big changes, and unfortunately, many complaints, which I feel have not been justified. I still fly FSX a lot, and do a lot of testing and tweaking. As a result, I'm used to reinstalling FSX on average every quarter :-)

One thing that I love about FSW is that I am yet to have the sim crash on me. :-) even though I've attempted to tweak a few things. There are however two questions that I will put to Cryss if possible please:

1. I seem to have had a slow down in frame rates since the last update, has anybody else noticed?

2. Is there any intentions to work a bit more on the colour palette? Sim still looks a little washed out to me.

I admit to not having the best PC in the world, but Cryss, FSW has prompted me to do a rebuild just for this sim, so thanks to you and all of your team for all of the work.

Cheers,

Andrew.

I think I have lost about 3 FPS as well, now that you mention it, and yes, the one critique that I have, is that I also find the FSW world (in daytime operations) totally devoid of depth-of-color.  It's like I have two very ripe cataracts in both eyes...that foggy, white haze, and loss of color depth.  Yes..it looks exactly like looking with eyes that have need-to-be-removed cataracts.  If there is a post-process program, to strengthen color depth, like we have for P3D, can someone point that out to me...but until then, this is the one major thing, I would like to see addressed ASAP.  The planes look payware. The cockpits look payware...but the scenery engine, and the lighting/color depth, does need work. This sim is certainly coming together...and I am hooked on it.

I love to fly within this sim...and the TrueSky is well...interesting, in that although you don't have real-world data being fed to it, the weather morphs around you...as it did on my two hour flight from Michigan, to Gananoque, Ontario yesterday.  The real-time forming cloud tendrils need some polishing, as it is an eye distraction (at least to myself, and looks a little weird), but I certainly like the way that the cloud bases ebb and tide, so are dynamic in nature. 

Heck, there is a LOT I like about this sim...and has taught me a life lesson, of TRY IT, before you pass on it....and shrug the shoulders.  Had I not decided a couple of days ago, to jump aboard...I would have never known how much fun and fabulous challenging weather operations, this sim affords. It is the best out there...across all other sims that I own...and I own them all, lol!

Yes..as you already stated...I hope the Devs can darken and create depth to the color pallets registers of this developing platform.  I can see FSW, becoming a niche, inside a niche environment...lol...for I think it to be so different against the other two ESP-based platforms.  Why can't P3D and FSX:SE have heavy weather rain/snow upon the windshields and out upon the environment, as FSW has...if it is the SAME ESP-driven engine for all?  How come the developers behind FSW could pull this off...but the likes of the programmers at Lockheed-Martin...seemingly could not...for what are they...up to v4.0 already?  Same lame weather depiction on cockpit windshield/outside environment, rain or snow...across all four released versions!

That fact amongst other things in my opinion, really makes this ESP-based sim platform have a standing on its own...and shines right through. If the programmers of FSW can give us such real-world rain-snow depictions...what else have they up their sleeves?!?!??!  

I'm now a lucky guy to be on-board, to welcome those coming additions to FSW, and enjoy the usage thereof.

Life is good...:)

Cheers,

I also forgot to mention, one thing that I absolutely love in this sim, is the new 'landing view' from the cockpit. I feel that this needs to be zoomed out a little, but of course, this entire forum is an ongoing learning process for Dovetail.

Yesterday I did a quick flight from Friday Harbor to Orcas Islands in the Cherokee, and with the latest patch, it feels to me like the flight model has also been improved, thanks Dovetail for that alone.

Now, if only I could get a working helicopter, and also import some of my UK2000 scenery, I will be, as we used to say in London: 'Well pleased'.

Thanks,

Andrew.

8 hours ago, AJT1967 said:

Now, if only I could get a working helicopter, and also import some of my UK2000 scenery, I will be, as we used to say in London: 'Well pleased'.

Hi Andrew, if you have the UK2000 VFR scenery for FSX you can import it no problem - this is EGLC:

y4mNBi_hAy1Pi8kM0Vl9b7HEUDg1kQgqrmNvKNtx

And here's Gatwick with imported default FSX AI traffic:

y4mqDYO_Qovafc6CWk43M-85VXf0zKrSyq5-AETo

On the ground at Gatwick for a better view of the AI:

y4mPwYnYdGm2MhlpNsSxp0meYcu-v0WsGhAyKJGs

A32xx,

I have been reading a number of posts about importing the scenery, but so far every time I've tried, it has crashed the sim to desktop.

I've been copying the Scenery and Texture folders from UK2000 VFR1 int a new folder in the Addon Scenery of FSW, and manually modifying the scenery.cfg as per a few readme files on the web, but it's still causing a crash. I also tried the same with the standalone Southend scenery, but same result.

Are you able to advise how you got it installed please?

Thanks,

Andrew.

2 hours ago, AJT1967 said:

Are you able to advise how you got it installed please?

Certainly, first of all you need to copy your FSX UK2000 folder into your FSW main folder. Then there's just one difference between the FSX and FSW scenery.cfg entries, and that's the Title line which in FSX starts with an @IDS_AREA number. You'll be adding the UK2000 scenery after or below the FSW Addon Scenery entry which is this:

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

So, your UK2000 Common Library entry should be next:

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_UK2000_Common_library
Local=UK2000 scenery\UK2000 Common library
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Note the sequential numbers I've highlighted in red - all your following entries must be in sequence.

Although the UK2000 VFR Airfields work with very minor details missing (patio chairs for example) the Xtreme airports don't work at all. The ones I've tried will cause CTD's when clicking on them in the flight plan map! One thing I've noticed since Update 9 is that the animated birds around some VFR Airfields aren't animated any more. It could be just be me fiddling about, but if not I'm sure the animation will be restored in a future update.

Hope this helps,

Tim

3 hours ago, A32xx said:

Hi Andrew, if you have the UK2000 VFR scenery for FSX you can import it no problem - this is EGLC:

y4mNBi_hAy1Pi8kM0Vl9b7HEUDg1kQgqrmNvKNtx

And here's Gatwick with imported default FSX AI traffic:

y4mqDYO_Qovafc6CWk43M-85VXf0zKrSyq5-AETo

On the ground at Gatwick for a better view of the AI:

y4mPwYnYdGm2MhlpNsSxp0meYcu-v0WsGhAyKJGs

Dang!  Can you just move over My Traffic 5.4 into the main FSW folder, or fool the install by temp renaming FSW.exe to FSX.exe?!?!?!?!?!?!?   Hmmmm........

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, A32xx said:

Certainly, first of all you need to copy your FSX UK2000 folder into your FSW main folder......

You don't need to copy the scenery into the FSW folder, you can point to it in the scenery.cfg file just as you can with FSX.  In the example above

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_UK2000_Common_library
Local=L:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\UK2000 scenery\UK2000 Common Library
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

will work and save space by avoiding the need to copy the scenery.

Edited by n4gix
Removed the extat "Local="

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Dang!  Can you just move over My Traffic 5.4 into the main FSW folder, or fool the install by temp renaming FSW.exe to FSX.exe?!?!?!?!?!?!?   Hmmmm........

Unfortunately not, all the AI Traffic add-ons from FSX include FS2004 models which aren't recognised by FSW.

1 hour ago, AndyUK said:

You don't need to copy the scenery into the FSW folder, you can point to it in the scenery.cfg file just as you can with FSX.

Good point Andy, my excuse is that I'm in the habit of copying scenery with config utilities which I like to keep separate from my FSX-SE versions.

Regards,

Tim

Just spotted a cut & paste error in my previous post, the second instance of Local= shouldn't be there.

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your advice, the scenery is up and running in FSW now.

I have to admit, even though there are a few things missing, it still looks pretty good. I intend to be doing some more flying today after I've completed my language studies. I'm an old Londoner anyway, and used to go to Southend airport frequently. Currently living in Perth, Western Australia,but still there is no payware scenery available for YPPH. I think I know why though.

Great community we have here. Thanks once again.

Andrew.

On 13/08/2017 at 0:13 AM, Sesquashtoo said:

Yes..it looks exactly like looking with eyes that have need-to-be-removed cataracts.  If there is a post-process program, to strengthen color depth, like we have for P3D, can someone point that out to me...b

Have you tried playing with NVCP/"Adjust desktop color settings"?
Try increasing Digital Vibrance and/or tweaking the "Use nvidia settings" sliders.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, AndyUK said:

Just spotted a cut & paste error in my previous post, the second instance of Local= shouldn't be there.

I fixed it for you.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 hours ago, gboz said:

Have you tried playing with NVCP/"Adjust desktop color settings"?
Try increasing Digital Vibrance and/or tweaking the "Use nvidia settings" sliders.

gb.

Yes, I have color saturation at 100...but I know this will be addressed. This is not the RTM, yet.  No matter though..I'm in for the long haul..and am absolutely loving every feature and visuliaztion on the weather and sky front.  The best ever!  This is only going to get better and better with every update package. No doubt, whatsoever!

Cheers,