Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

I'm in....

Recommended Posts

Loving the positivity in this thread, going to pass the feedback onto the devs. 

We've come a long way in what's coming up on three months since launch. Really eager to see what you guys think of each update :) 

  • Upvote 1

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

Share this post


Link to post

You guys are doing fine Cryss. Taking the small steps to get FSW where it should and will be. I've seen too many times where a program is released as Early Access and dies. I can give examples but I won't. Just keep putting out the updates. Oh, and by the way, I want better looking runways, LOL...

  • Upvote 1

Scott H...

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, arsenal82 said:

On steam competition is fierce

those 67 millions have 67 millions games to play with a couple of millions being high tech modern graphics stuff   

The majority of Stem users when look at sim graphics will be put off instantly as they are used to richer contents than us 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I will say, that only those that hang around a real airfield, at the threshold, sipping coffee...watching planes take off...YOU KNOW, you are one, if you are reading, lol....will ever be interested in this program.  There might be a ton of other STEAM content that would bowl over the graphics et,all, but, like driving, racing, submarine, warfare (even air...), etc, I don't buy them, for I am not personally interested.  I do feel though, that Dovetail did a rudimentary R.O.I. discovery, and thought there would be enough of our established user pool, to float the project, and then by word of mouth, new users would be attracted.

I am a very well seasoned flight simmer, have been enjoying this hobby and interest, uninterrupted since 1984, one computer system/platform after another, have two other long established (to date) ESP-based flight sims, but still was curious, purchased this ESP endeavor, and am happy as a pig in ****, for having dipped the toes...

If I could throw into a sim 'bowl', the weather effects and visuals of FSW, the ability to self-generate XP11-based Ortho4XP high res ortho content, and all the other A.I. features of FSX-SE/P3D, and their ability to support commercial big-iron, I would have the absolutely most perfect Mitch-Sim in the baking....

So...I never throw the baby out with the bath water...I will fly FSW for all that it affords to date. i will fly XP11 for what it affords to date, and a little (smile) secret. When I purchased and set up FSW, I saw (I actually forgot, lol) that I had an FSX-SE copy in my Steam Library, that I had bought when it first was released, and on a very aggressive sale price.  "Oh...what the he**".........I only ever had the boxed version of FSX, never had the Gold, or Acceleration, etc...and knew that FSX-SE was in fact a tweaked Gold version. I was curious...so I ran the install.  I then took the time to port over all my ORBX from ORBX Central 3, and was blown away by how much better, FSX-SE was...seriously better, than the Boxed, non Gold version.

Smooth animation and double the FPS of my boxed version.

So....it's back...now on my system, I have FSW, FSX-SE, XP11, and P3D v3.4  

I do fly them all.  I have kicked nothing to the curb...but get what my flight taste is for that hour, by what sim I fire up. No throwing out the baby....it's all good.

I do so highly recommend that for the asking price, anybody that does not have FSW already in the hangar...to not procrastinate...and pick it up.  Again...the price is worth just the challenging weather  and Cold Night scenarios, let alone everything else (good...) that comes with the purchase.  

If I want to run in rain or snow....it is a no-brainer, that I will now fire up FSW...and all the other sims, will support other flight interests, along with FSW for that flight fulfillment.

Simming has never looked better...XP is always being updated, P3D, the same, but at a slower pace, can't speak for FSX-SE...., FSW is very much and aggressively being attended to....so all is good. All is good...

About to fire up Advanced Snow in FSW...and see about how it now looks, upon the approach at Final...for threshold obtainment, since the latest update.

(You can always tell when I have had a coffee, or three...my fingers start to tap the keys!) :ha:

Cheers,

Mitch

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DTG_Cryss said:

Loving the positivity in this thread, going to pass the feedback onto the devs. 

We've come a long way in what's coming up on three months since launch. Really eager to see what you guys think of each update :) 

I think you guys are doing a great job.  You have the best foul weather depiction, in the industry!

Bring onboard, what FSX-SE and P3D already affords in other features (in sim) and you will dominate the ESP-based....absolutely!

Cheers,

Sesquashtoo

Share this post


Link to post

If you can fly my idiotic first attempt of a mission(Snowblind) since the trueSky update, I will applaud you sir... Is it doable, yes... Is it hard, yes...Just don't kill Pierre....


Scott H...

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, switch686 said:

If you can fly my idiotic first attempt of a mission(Snowblind) since the trueSky update, I will applaud you sir... Is it doable, yes... Is it hard, yes...Just don't kill Pierre....

LOL...still a FSW newbie....flying mostly Free Flights.  Since turning on WideView and bumping the LOD to 7.5...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I also have FPS locked down to 33, by use of the FSW.cfg file, with using Adaptive at 1/2 in the nVidia Inspector mask.

Smooth as cream...

Back to the flight. Took off from my FBO of KNFT, and heading to Mackinac Island, at 10,500 AGL.

BTW....is FSW 64 bit?  Not sure...had no OOM's even with LOD set to 7.5....

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

BTW....is FSW 64 bit?  Not sure...had no OOM's even with LOD set to 7.5....

Yes FSW is 64 bit, so you can crank up that LOD_RADIUS so long as your system can handle the load (I also use 7.5). It's actually got some other nice "under the cover" improvements over FSX like DX11, PBR rendering of aircraft and alpha-fade for autogen. The rain/snow effects and trueSky do a much better job of taking advantage of your GPU (using shader code) and the code is optimized for modern CPU architecture.

As a trade-off though, the aircraft models are very high-detail (compare the size of aircraft MDL files to FSX), so they have spent some of that optimization on better aircraft visuals.

The terrain engine needs an update but I expect that's still a long way off.

EDIT: Just curious, what are your system specs that are giving you such great results?


Barry Friedman

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, fshobby said:

Yes FSW is 64 bit, so you can crank up that LOD_RADIUS so long as your system can handle the load (I also use 7.5). It's actually got some other nice "under the cover" improvements over FSX like DX11, PBR rendering of aircraft and alpha-fade for autogen. The rain/snow effects and trueSky do a much better job of taking advantage of your GPU (using shader code) and the code is optimized for modern CPU architecture.

As a trade-off though, the aircraft models are very high-detail (compare the size of aircraft MDL files to FSX), so they have spent some of that optimization on better aircraft visuals.

The terrain engine needs an update but I expect that's still a long way off.

EDIT: Just curious, what are your system specs that are giving you such great results?

Thank you for all that!  Just what I wished to know!  

CPU: i7-975 Extreme (4 core, not locked) overclocked to 4.3 Ghz running on air-cool, stock cooler.

GPU: EVGA 1070 FTW (no overclock needed, or set)

12 GB's System RAM, of Crucial premium, triple channel 1600 Mhz, overclocked to 1800 Mhz through a custom Alienware BIOS v11, that can be used because my Dell runs the same M.B. 

Monitor: Dell U3415W running at 3440x1440 (default)  I never run any less than this, for all my sims.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

CPU: i7-975 Extreme (4 core, not locked) overclocked to 4.3 Ghz running on air-cool, stock cooler.

 

How well does this handle dense autogen (eg. NYC)? I found that with older CPU's it struggles quite a bit, but does OK on current gen CPU's.


Barry Friedman

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, arsenal82 said:

On steam competition is fierce

those 67 millions have 67 millions games to play with a couple of millions being high tech modern graphics stuff   

The majority of Stem users when look at sim graphics will be put off instantly as they are used to richer contents than us 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well thanks to steam FSX is still selling today, and never seen it on sale in any game store or shop in the last 4years here in the UK , you would likely find it on ebay.

And new simmers are often posting on the forums.

Ray Fry.


i9 10900K\ASUS APEX MB \ MSI RTX 2080Ti GAMINGX TRIO \ M.2  Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB C Drive \ 2+1TB Samsung 850 EVO \ 2TB BarraCuba \ 32GB G.SKILL Z DDR4 3600MHZ \ Windows 10 Home\ ASUS 28" 4K monitor\ 4TB Portable Drive\P3DV5

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, fshobby said:

How well does this handle dense autogen (eg. NYC)? I found that with older CPU's it struggles quite a bit, but does OK on current gen CPU's.

I do real well, even in fog or the Thunderstorm scenario.  Very pleased...

Share this post


Link to post

Had a good flight...lots of fun... BTW, that round shadow on the panel...is my head! I was heading east....great gob-smack! The last pic is my setting up for final at Gananoque, Ontario...in the beautiful, Thousand Islands. My wife and I go there, as often as we can. Great outdoor and marine activities. The flight originated from  KFNT, Michigan.

20170811153449_1.jpg

20170811153533_1.jpg

20170811153624_1.jpg

20170811154446_1.jpg

20170811154909_1.jpg

20170811162433_1.jpg

20170811162457_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Had a good flight...lots of fun... BTW, that round shadow on the panel...is my head! I was heading east....great gob-smack! The last pic is my setting up for final at Gananoque, Ontario...in the beautiful, Thousand Islands. My wife and I go there, as often as we can. Great outdoor and marine activities. The flight originated from  KFNT, Michigan.

Stunning pictures, really nice. Can't wait to see what FSW has to offer say a year or two from now :)

Edited by n4gix
Please do not quote pictures!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/rF3btc2

 

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty happy and impressed with what I've seen so far. Like a lot of others here, I've been simming since the days of Sublogic. Also a real world pilot with single and twin time. In all of that time, I've seen some big changes, and unfortunately, many complaints, which I feel have not been justified. I still fly FSX a lot, and do a lot of testing and tweaking. As a result, I'm used to reinstalling FSX on average every quarter :-)

One thing that I love about FSW is that I am yet to have the sim crash on me. :-) even though I've attempted to tweak a few things. There are however two questions that I will put to Cryss if possible please:

1. I seem to have had a slow down in frame rates since the last update, has anybody else noticed?

2. Is there any intentions to work a bit more on the colour palette? Sim still looks a little washed out to me.

 

I admit to not having the best PC in the world, but Cryss, FSW has prompted me to do a rebuild just for this sim, so thanks to you and all of your team for all of the work.

Cheers,

Andrew.


Kind regards,

 

Andrew.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, AJT1967 said:

1. I seem to have had a slow down in frame rates since the last update, has anybody else noticed?

 

Didn't notice any change in here.

 

Yet I think the sim needs a performance boost. We need an increase on the view distance of the autogen (and the city lighting for sure). With the performance we have today, this sim would just strugle in big cities if they implemented the shadows and an increase of the view distance. And those two are really important features to me (really high distance view of the scenery and advanced lighting technology as advanced shadowing and ambient occlusion)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    28%
    $7,080.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...