Sign in to follow this  
jimimac

Vr steam mode

Hi oculus arrives tomorrow so in preparation I thought I ask what is the difference running in steam vr mode as opposed to running in oculus mode is there any advantages running one over the other.

Thanks,jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

I believe Steam VR tends to run a bit slower.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks, looking forward to using vr, I'm already impressed with afs2 just get in and fly no hassle also like the aircraft as well.

Jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

My Oculus wouldn't run unless in Steam mode.
I have no idea why, other than the sim was delivered through Steam.
I have no issues with display or sound.
You will love the experience, a new dimension to flightsimming.

8 minutes ago, WingZ said:

My Oculus wouldn't run unless in Steam mode.
I have no idea why, other than the sim was delivered through Steam.
I have no issues with display or sound.

Hmmmmm....... How do you run games from the Oculus store, then? Or the Oculus demos?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 hour ago, WingZ said:

+++1 !!!

I just got my Oculus last week and I totally agree. VR and flight simming just go so well together; natural in the extreme. I have had several people try to describe the VR difference, and the best way to put it is "you are there in the life sized cockpit". The world is much bigger like it should be. I had no idea it could be this great, but it surly is.

I cant wait for AF2 to get some more features and optimize them clouds. 

I also have no option to run AF2 in VR mode using the Oculus mode. Since I bought AF2 from Steam, I guess it expects Steam VR to run AF2 in VR. I suppose this could change with updates (?). Oculus mode works fine for Oculus programs on my system, and I run one or the other based on what I'm doing.

2 hours ago, pracines said:

I also have no option to run AF2 in VR mode using the Oculus mode. Since I bought AF2 from Steam, I guess it expects Steam VR to run AF2 in VR. I suppose this could change with updates

Join the Oculus public test channel (beta) https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/200468603765391

Once you do that, the next time you run Aerofly, an Aerofly Icon will be added to Oculus home. You will then be able to launch Aerofly from Home like any other Oculus App. NEVER delete this Icon, since at least for now, if you do so, you can't get it back.

This will work with all Steam games. Each one you start after receiving the Oculus Public test channel update will cause an Icon for that Game/App to be added to oculus home. This will even work for P3DVR Mode.

Devons rig

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

How do you run games from the Oculus store

Outside Steam. My comment applied to AFS2 launched via Steam.
Actually I should check that... since the update I think it changed!

9 hours ago, pracines said:

I also have no option to run AF2 in VR mode using the Oculus mode. Since I bought AF2 from Steam, I guess it expects Steam VR to run AF2 in VR.

I simply run AFS2 by double clicking the icon on my desktop... In Steam I have added -othervr as a startup option and that's it: double clicking the desktop icon starts AFS2 in VR. I don't have Steam VR installed so I suppose that means I am running it in Oculus mode. I suppose you can only run AFS2 in Steam VR mode when you have actually installed Steam VR and use it to start Oculus. No need for that.

With the 1.17 PC software update (available now in our public test channel) we’re making it easier to manage your content library all in one place. Now, you’ll be able to view and launch all apps that support Rift from your computer or in VR, even if you acquired them from outside the Oculus Store. We know people sideload apps for a variety of reasons, so we've included some options to help provide flexibility and control of what’s displayed. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

You can toggle displaying third party app titles “on” and “off” from the Filter menu of the Library in the upper right of the Oculus desktop app

You can remove individual apps from your Library (note that this does not uninstall the app; also, at this time, this action can’t be undone)

If you are using an app obtained or purchased outside the Oculus Store, your activity will simply display as "Online"

Library will still display the five most recently played apps. If you toggle “off” third party apps titles, they will be removed from recent activity

We’ll be iterating on Library functionality and features with future patches. If you’re testing the release, please share feedback with us via the PTC, and stay tuned for future updates.

Devons rig