Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Brand New WIN10 PC - Tips Please!

Okay, my i7-7700K/1080ti pre-built CyperowerPC just arrived. It's not even unboxed yet. It's got WIN10 installed (Primary drive is 3TB HDD with optane memory cache). It does NOT have a CD/DVD/Blu_ray drive.

Being completely unfamiliar with WIN 10, any assistance in getting off 'on the right foot' would be most appreciated. I intend to run P3D V4 and XP11 on this machine (also, possibly re-install FSX gold and P3D V3.4). So, I need to get from an empty system to an operating sim PC. :biggrin:

Some areas where I could use help in no particular order:

1) Updates to install/avoid. These would go into the machine BEFORE I install any sim specific devices (e.g. TIR, Saitek controllers) or SIM software

2) Settings to configure - Privacy or gaming related (I've seen mention of Game Mode?), Desktop settings for a WIN 7 type experience

3) Privacy software add-ons?

4) Should I create any sort of restore images and when (i.e. virgin system or after I do some customization?)

5) NVidia Driver (non-SLI, P3D V4, XP11)?

6) Should I worry about BIOS/Hardware drivers updates for MSI (I think - haven't actually confirmed this yet) X270 motherboard? The system is supposed to be pre-loaded and tested, so I may paly dumb and not concern myself right now?

Any other tips or man-traps avoidance items?

Cheers, Brian

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Here are a few thoughts for starters:

Although it's possible to completely turn off Windows Updates, my advice is not to. However, I would make sure that your system only gets critical patches and security updates and NOT driver updates. Updated drivers sometimes cause more problems than they cure and often just give extra features which you don't really need - better to review and install them manually. To stop automatic driver updates, see: http://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/

Get O&O ShutUp10 to easily turn off most of the potential privacy intrusions: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Turn off update delivery optimization which can turn your PC into an Internet update server: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-delivery-optimization

It's definitely worth making a backup image but I'd do it when you've got all of the above sorted and Windows generally customised the way you want it. I'd then start making a separate regular, periodic backup - I backup weekly using Macrium Reflect, which I highly recommend.

I would say don't update the BIOS unless you have a specific problem which an update addresses or need a feature provided by an updated BIOS.

There is a bit of a learning curve if you're coming from a previous version of Windows (especially Windows 7 or earlier) but it's well worth the effort. Others may disagree, but in my opinion it's the best version so far and I've either had, or regularly used every version from Windows 3.1 onwards (with the exception of Windows ME and Windows 8).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

One can be a negative Nancy and try to block/secure everything in Win10 or just use the built in privacy/setup options (like I do).

Only real suggestion I have is you may need to launch and run more programs and addons with admin rights for them to work right and be stable, least that is my case.

Win10 is very complete and full featured, embrace the change, don't try to fight it.

I'm running the latest version of Win10-64 (Creator) without any problems.  The only thing I've done is exclude FSX/P3d in Windows Defender.  

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Thanks for the comments so far. I unboxed and fired it up last night. I opted out of signing in to Microsoft and declined all the telemetry and keystroke monitoring options. I was not able to avoid updates, so it's got the latest OS (for good or for bad).

So far, I'm just getting used to W10 and customizing the system to my preferences. Over the next couple of days, I'm going to play with overclocking and see how it holds up.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

One of the reasons W10 is faster is that the UI is not a resource hog like 7 was. My Computer is now File Explorer ( file icon on the taskbar, then This PC). If you have the Creators edition, a right click of the start button shows that Power Shell has replaced Command prompt, and there is no short cut to Control panel. If you have no use for power shell, you can change it back to command prompt. Right click task bar/ task bar settings. To go quickly to control panel, type a c (or con) in the search box, right click the control panel listing that comes up and save to task bar. Then you can go to control panel from the task bar.

All the normal right click functions are the same as they have been for ever.

W10 by default wants to use Edge and The new Groove player. But you can set it to use other things that are better. My bias is for Chrome and Media Player.

You'll get used to the Ribbon UI as opposed to the older file UI.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, vortex681 said:

. To stop automatic driver updates, see: http://pureinfotech.com/exclude-driver-updates-windows-10/

Get O&O ShutUp10 to easily turn off most of the potential privacy intrusions: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Thank you Vortex681. Both of these links were very helpful.

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE