Sign in to follow this  
Paul Golding

Question for Dreamfleet 727 owners

Paul, many thanks for the DF727, which at the moemtn is my favourite aircraft by far!A question: how does one fly STARs or SIDs, which consist of waypoints correctly. I do not have the CIVA INS installed and therefore I usually prefer SIDs and STARs which contain mainly VORs and NDBs and do not have too many waypoints. If there is a waypoint then I usually use FSNAV to measure the distance from a VOR which is eqipped with DME and or check on which VOR radial this particular waypoint is located and/or determin the bearing from an NDB. A combination of 2 of these methods determinates roughly, where a certain waypoint is located, but this method is not very exact. Thus I usually overfly waypoints or turn too early. Is ther another method to track waypoints without INS, GPS or FMS?CheersWolfgang

Guest Boone

Also, while on this thread - do the current Fed Ex 727's or Cougar's planes have an FMS installed? Or do these cargo haulers still navigate the old fashioned way??? (Always wanted to know this!)Many thanks in advance.Cheers,(SONIC) BooneCurrently saving pennies for a new pooter for FSX (don't tell the misses!)

>Also, while on this thread - do the current Fed Ex 727's or>Cougar's planes have an FMS installed? Or do these cargo>haulers still navigate the old fashioned way??? (Always wanted>to know this!)>Many thanks in advance.>I don't know the actual legalities of the situations, but when ever I see a WWII bomber at any fly-in, I always see a hand-held moving map GPS sitting somewhere around the glare-sheild. I can always assume that the hand-held is bascially the "real" source of first hand navigation, while other systems make up the "legal" parts. I can't imagine any airliner size airplane operating without some type of GPS or FMS these days. After numerous flight into terrain accidents, and recommendations from the review boards of these accidents, it's highly recommended that aircraft carry moving map GPS devices for the "highly added" situational awareness they offer.These day's, it's just STUPID for commercial aircraft, or any aircraft to fly into rising terrain, when a simple moving map GPS can make all the difference. End of rant.... :D L.Adamson

Actually, I think you'll find it's the other way around with VOR/NDB being the real source and GPS for additional awareness.For terrain awareness, my 727 has the RealityXP TAWS installed and it certainly makes low vis approaches to the likes of Innsbruck a lot more comfortable :-)That said, a look on airliners.net shows plenty of recent 727 cockpits with no evidence of additional nav equipment.Dreamfleet Project ManagerGreatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

>Actually, I think you'll find it's the other way around with>VOR/NDB being the real source and GPS for additional>awareness.VOR/NDB is still the "legal" source for most aircraft at the moment, even though NDB's are being phased out in the U.S., and VOR's will likely follow. Shortly, IFR legal GPS will be the norm.Now.........with glass panels (Garmin 1000)that you'll find in a new Cessna 172 "trainer", which are much more navigation oriented than some systems found in commercial airliners, (example: XM Satellite weather overlayed on the moving map), what's the "real" source? An instant 1/2 second look at the colored moving map GPS, or plotting DME & headings derivived from VOR's, wind corrections, etc? I'm just being realistic here.IMO, with GPS and WAAS that we have here in the U.S., I could care less when all northern hemisphere VOR's and NDB's disappear. I don't know if you've seen my recent GPS/WAAS test, which concluded that "altitudes" were being nailed within 10' or less? Sure beats the old 300' or so! L.Adamson

If this influences your decision to purchase in any way, I actually first bought the captain sim version of the 727 and then later bought the DF. I wish I had waited for DF to come out, but I in no way regret purchasing both. As the others have mentioned, this plane keeps you busy. None of that boring hands off flying you get with FMS/C's. You'll absolutely love it. Hand flown approaches are terrific with this flight model. I have ready access to level C 727 sim time, and the DF version is spot on in every respect that can be replicated within FS. An DO try the INS gauge mods. Adding that program will really enhance your flight immersion. Buy the Jet! :-)And I am in no way affiliated with DF, but would work for free if I had any talents worthy of these payware gods.;-)

Guest G. Stone

Well I purchased it and I am impressed. It looks like I have to spend alot of time studying. Currently I am trying to complete the tutorial 1 from Budapest to Munich. I can't get past the Engine 2/APU Bleed Switches - ON on page 20.. lolIt is totally different than any other plane I flown so far. I have been fooling around flightsim since FS2000 and I have owned the PSS A320, Justflight's 777/747 combo (don't fly any of them anymore) and I currently own the LDS767 and the PMDG 6/7/8/900 and even though this is a Boeing aircraft it is totally different at least to me.I will be waking up early and staying up late to get this tutorial flight complete.

>Also, while on this thread - do the current Fed Ex 727's or>Cougar's planes have an FMS installed? Or do these cargo>haulers still navigate the old fashioned way??? I believe many FDX 727s have the HT-9100 GNSS dual GPS installed. Each GPS has a MCDU on the pedestal. The GPS can be coupled to the FD and to the AP using the Aux Nav position on the Nav switch. Some A/C have single channel AP, some dual/autoland. Some are certified for Cat IIIA minima (requires special controls for windshear). The GPS also provides a CDI that I assume can be used for RNAV / LNAV approaches. FDX also has a laptop computer system that provides a lot of the data you could get from an FMS system (runway data / stopping data for example). My contact is now flying the MD-11 with full FMS.scott s..

>>In addition, there's a number of user edits around for adding>the CIVA INS.>Where?* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

I have the DF727 and it is wonderful. Many have posted on its navigation capabilities, but I just wanted to chime in on the flight model. It's the only airliner I have that actually "feels" heavy. A very hard perception to achieve with a computer and a plastic yoke! I'm a systems "nut", and this plane is perfect for someone who like to work through every process. However, even the DF727 eventually overwhelmed me. There's a reason there was a crew of 3 on this plane. I've found the feature that DF gives in terms of setting up the plane in different configurations to be very helpful: ;from cold and dark to ready to roll. I prefer to set up with the "ready to start engines" thus letting my virtual flight engineer get paid for doing his job ;-) Mike

You just need a little more practice Mike. After a while you can get from cold to taxi in under 10 minutes with ease.That said, I most often use "ready to taxi". The result was that checking out something on a "cold and dark" start the day, the bloody thing wouldn't start for me! Out with the kneeboard checklist only to find that some silly bugger had switched both the packs AND aircon to on :-) Guess that's why the checklists are there!Dreamfleet Project ManagerGreatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest G. Stone

Since all you guys have the 727 I have another question, How do you toggle between ADF 1 and ADF 2?I am still working through the tutorial flight dated 12/2005 and I am instructed to set ADF 1 to 343 and ADF 2 to 378. Here is what I have done so far based on help from the DF FAQ and forums1. I have turned on tooltips so I can see the frequency2. I have set the left knob (Gain) to ADF3. On the right knob (Tune) I tune the frequency and the tuning meter lights up but the tooltips and RMI shows ADF 2 as active.

Hello Paul:The following error is what I get when I click on the link for the installer, and I am afraid I don't speak German. error 404: Datei nicht gefunden! Das angegebene Dokument konnte auf diesem Server leider nicht gefunden werden. RTH