Sign in to follow this  
kityatyi

What if the Captain wants to sleep during cruise?

I am wondering if I can do a DC-6 overnight flight without actively monitoring the systems. Well, simply said, the captain wants to go to bed during the cruise phase. :biggrin:

Yesterday I found out that I can pick up the GTN 650 as well as the 750 for P3DV4 for a bargain as I already had the 750 for V3. And so I did. The 650 now allows me to do longer flights without having to tune radios and set courses every half an hour (since the PMDG GPS gave me constant crashes I simply ignored its existence). The 650 is awesome. But there is still an obstacle I need to overcome. The fuel tanks. At some point, the main tanks run dry and someone has to switch to the alternate tanks. I have not done such a long flight yet that it was necessary. I am wondering if the AFE is able to take care of this or it definitely requires my input?

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

Press "P" :biggrin:

On a more serious note, to ensure proper balance, you should not be running the main tanks dry before the auxiliary tanks. The manual describes proper fuel management. My suggestion to you would be to configure the fuel system, then calculate how much time will elapse until the next change in fuel configuration. Then, set an alarm. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I used to do this for step climbs and fuel management in jet airliners.

Robert Toten

• Upvote 1

No proper sleep for the captain then. He'll rather call in sick tonight and skip this one. :-)

1hxz6d.png
kityatyi

I7 6700K 4.6 GHz, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2666 MHz RAM, 750GB SSD, 1TB HDD

When I flew P3C Orions there was  a bunk bed in the back for rotating naps by the pilot, copilot and flight engineer when missions lasted more than 12 hours.  Maybe PMDG could add a patch for simulated bunks 😉

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

34 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

When I flew P3C Orions there was  a bunk bed in the back for rotating naps by the pilot, copilot and flight engineer when missions lasted more than 12 hours.  Maybe PMDG could add a patch for simulated bunks 😉

I had a buddy who flew the Orions with you guys who said it was not unusual to find everyone asleep on those looonnng patrols :)

1 hour ago, silverheels2 said:

I had a buddy who flew the Orions with you guys who said it was not unusual to find everyone asleep on those looonnng patrols :)

Thank goodness for high quality autopilots !!

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.