Sign in to follow this  
James Smith

PMDG 777 vs Captain Sim 777

16 hours ago, CaptainLars said:

I use PFPX for flight planning, then I enter the passengers and ZFW (about 20% more weight usually in the front cargo compartment) into the computer. It's all inside the limitations. I set the correct trim before takeoff, and I can't remember a CG below or above what you said.

Further, it's not that the 777 would be tail or nose heavy. It's that when you pull the yoke, it goes very much up, so you must correct. Then it goes very much down, and you must correct. Then it goes very much up, and you must correct... I use the trim switch fairly often on climb-out, trimming up and down. Perhaps I should try to leave the trim switch more alone.

You shouldn't have to use the trim on initial climb out. If TO trim is set correctly for the CG then you will be in trim at about V2+10. Overuse of trim could lead to an unstable pitch cycle such as you describe. Try enabling the FBW speed bug (CDU options) which will show you what airspeed the aircraft is trimmed for and climb at that airspeed. Alternatively trim until the FBW bug is at your current airspeed. It's not a realistic feature (the real aircraft doesn't have it) but some people find it useful.

• Upvote 2

ki9cAAb.jpg

I'm going to try leaving the trim alone plus FBW speed bugs. Thank you very much for your advice.

2 hours ago, kevinh said:

Try enabling the FBW speed bug (CDU options) which will show you what airspeed the aircraft is trimmed for and climb at that airspeed. Alternatively trim until the FBW bug is at your current airspeed. It's not a realistic feature (the real aircraft doesn't have it) but some people find it useful.

THIS did all the difference for me. Before was a true nightmare, with the FBW bug is much easier to control the beast. It's not realistic but don't feeling the plane on your bodie isn't realistic either, so it's fair enough for me. :wink:

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Olympic260 said:

If you have the PMDG 777 stay with that. CS does not simulate the systems, flight dynamics etc etc like PMDG does

Concurr.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Hi guys,

I am type rated on the 777 and have flown it now for 5 years .. this PMDG thing is just mindblowing !! I think it's fenomenal. My only real critique is that I have found it's pitch control to be very unrealistic showing way too much inertia .. (V/S takes too much time to follow/adapt to pitch changes) and turning requires way too much back pressure and pitch changes to mantain level flight or same V/S. I think this is the main issue. There are other issues but this is the one that annoyes me the most. Regarding trim it is indeed not like the real thing like the elevator back pressure need wile turnig,  I think this is because fly by wire is not really simulated here.. anywayi hardly use any trim at all, it certainly doesn't need a constant use of it. Other than that i think it's really superb and incredibly accurate. 

5 hours ago, Stefano74 said:

Hi guys,

I am type rated on the 777 and have flown it now for 5 years .. this PMDG thing is just mindblowing !! I think it's fenomenal. My only real critique is that I have found it's pitch control to be very unrealistic showing way too much inertia .. (V/S takes too much time to follow/adapt to pitch changes) and turning requires way too much back pressure and pitch changes to mantain level flight or same V/S. I think this is the main issue. There are other issues but this is the one that annoyes me the most. Regarding trim it is indeed not like the real thing like the elevator back pressure need wile turnig,  I think this is because fly by wire is not really simulated here.. anywayi hardly use any trim at all, it certainly doesn't need a constant use of it. Other than that i think it's really superb and incredibly accurate. 

If I remember correctly, some of the FBW simulation is inaccurate as Boeing keeps their inner workings of their FBW a very close held secret. I'd imagine this came up in testing prior to release with the pilots on their team. If it could be any more realistic, then I'm sure they would make it so. By the way, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here! For future reference, PMDG require all posts to be signed with your full name, first and last. 

On 8/23/2017 at 3:39 AM, Milton Waddams said:

If I remember correctly, some of the FBW simulation is inaccurate as Boeing keeps their inner workings of their FBW a very close held secret. I'd imagine this came up in testing prior to release with the pilots on their team. If it could be any more realistic, then I'm sure they would make it so. By the way, welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you here! For future reference, PMDG require all posts to be signed with your full name, first and last. 

Unfortunately the pitch behaviour of this 777 is not just inaccurate, it is in fact so wired that it renders the airplane hardly flyable at all. Many other PS3D or FSX airplanes fly much better therefore an almost normal pitch behaviour can be attained. So I think PMDG should not strive to match the real B777 FBW behaviour but they should come up with an airplane that can actually be flown. The PMDG B737 for example had a quite realistic stable pitch behaviour and the lag between pitch changes and V/S changes was realistic (in the 777 is way off and to stabilise that V/S is a real challenge).

I have tried now a number of ILS in different condition and despite my efforts I can not manage to conduct decent approaches consistently (and don't say it's because of me :biggrin:)

Stefano Furlanis