Sign in to follow this  
JYW

Carenado C208 (and Cargomaster) released for XP11

Well as promised, here are my thought of the new C-208 for XP11

It fly pretty much like the XP10 one, except for the better handling of the engine, there is no discernable change

It does not support the XP10 liveries like the other Carenado plane that have been modified to XP11

So just for the liveries, I will mostly keep flying the XP10 version

19 hours ago, rat7 said:

Well as promised, here are my thought of the new C-208 for XP11

It fly pretty much like the XP10 one, except for the better handling of the engine, there is no discernable change

It does not support the XP10 liveries like the other Carenado plane that have been modified to XP11

So just for the liveries, I will mostly keep flying the XP10 version

Hi, thanks for the input. 

Bob

Are the cockpit textures now higher resolution? I have the XP10 version and the cockpit labelling is not very sharp. I would buy it if it feels like an upgrade but not just for PBR, which I have for free externally, and an optimised flight model, which again, I have for free..

EDIT - I just found the review (http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/forums/topic/652-aircraft-review-c208b-grand-caravan-hd-series-xp11-by-carenado/&tab=comments#comment-2413) and the textures all look the same as before.. no update.

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

6 minutes ago, toby23 said:

Are the cockpit textures now higher resolution? I have the XP10 version and the cockpit labelling is not very sharp. I would buy it if it feels like an upgrade but not just for PBR, which I have for free externally, and an optimised flight model, which again, I have for free..

EDIT - I just found the review (http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/forums/topic/652-aircraft-review-c208b-grand-caravan-hd-series-xp11-by-carenado/&tab=comments#comment-2413) and the textures all look the same as before.. no update.

It's very surprising to see that Carenado haven't produced one of their fancy marketing videos for the release either.  This suggests to me that perhaps there isn't enough over and above the XP10 version to 'show off'.   Like you, I'd upgrade for new VC texturing but not for PBR alone.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

JYW - you can get external PBR textures here for free from AeroSimGaming, the guys who made the new flight model for vFlyteAir, they also have a revised flight model here for the Caravan that works great.

As much as I would love to have the Cargomaster expansion, after seeing what is possible with a native XP11 piece of payware, like the vFlyteAir Cherokee, Carenado need to stop providing updates for 5 year old models and release something mind blowing and new that is truly made for XP11. Apart from the C208, I am always left wanting more with Carenado.. 

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, Windows 10

20 hours ago, toby23 said:

As much as I would love to have the Cargomaster expansion, after seeing what is possible with a native XP11 piece of payware, like the vFlyteAir Cherokee, Carenado need to stop providing updates for 5 year old models and release something mind blowing and new that is truly made for XP11. Apart from the C208, I am always left wanting more with Carenado.. 

I would like to see that too, but I think we have to be realistic with our expectations. Carenado develops their models first for FSX/P3D, and then converts them to X-Plane as a secondary market. I don't think that will change, until the sales potential is higher for X-Plane than it is for FSX/P3D. We're growing, but I'm sure they have a higher sales volume with their FSX/P3D planes.

For example, I asked Dan Klau over at the .org forum if we could get layered paint kits with the new v11 models. That would be a nice selling point. I was told no, because the paint kits and liveries are adapted from the FSX models and that wouldn't fit their production flow. Whatever they do with FSX comes first, and determines what they can offer for X-Plane. Same thing with sound. The new v11 Carenado planes still use their own internal sound engine, not taking advantage of the new FMOD sound engine that arrived with X-Plane 11. If I'm not mistaken, the sound files are exactly the same as the FSX/P3D planes. So there are constraints in what they can do as far as a "mind blowing" plane for XP11.

Our best hope is that they will revisit some of the models and add features later on, during the XP11 cycle. I know they're planning to integrate the new Laminar G1000 in the appropriate plane models when it arrives, and they've stopped development of their own, fairly limited G1000. So at least with those planes, we'll have a feature that's more developed than what's available on the FSX/P3D side (without using external addons).

Anyway, from the customer perspective, the bottom line with Carenado is the same as with any developer. You buy their planes when there isn't a better model available. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I bought the C208 XP11 today, you can see my screenshot showcase, and some opinions on it here :-

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)