Sign in to follow this  
DanielTdT

P3D V4 Crashes Without Trace

Hi, 

I've been flying with V4 for a few weeks now, and have had a problem quite a few times. P3D crashes when I re tab back into it from another window. To be clear, I don't use Alt + Tab as I'm in windowed and use the task bar to switch. But when I return to P3D it runs fine, and then once I press a command within the sim it freezes and crashes. I run PMDG aircraft only at the moment. 

Secondly, I have also been having crashes where the simulator just shuts down in the background while in another tab. For both of these there is no error log in the event viewer.

Any advice appreciated, thanks for the help!

Edit: I'm using FSUIPC 5 (free)

Hi Daniel - it seems, at least, you're not alone. Ever since Monday, I have had a series of CTDs as well as disappearing P3D, also without a trace. I have installed the latest version of F1 750 since then but it will crash even with an aircraft without the 750. J+Have updated sound and video drivers but nothing seems to work.

Before uninstalling F1 (and I doubt this is the culprit), do you have it installed? 

Mario Di Lauro

Tamsini, 

(un)fortunately I do not have the F1 750, so you can cross it off your list of possible culprits. Glad to know it isn't just me but sorry for your difficulties! 

When ever P3D starts crashing all of a sudden I always uninstall any 3rd party aircraft or scenery I recently installed. 9 out of 10 times it's something I've installed in the last week causing the problems.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

This happens when your scenery.cfg is corrupted, especially when flying a payware aircraft like the PMDG.  Not sure why it crashes but I have found that if your scenery.cfg is not formatted correctly under the new format rules and/or you do not have your scenery properly configured as Addon.xml's, P3DV4 will close without an error, a crash report, or an event in the Event Viewer.  I have fixed my issues by converting all of my scenery into the addon.xml format by using the Lorby Si Addon Manager tool.  No problems since doing that.  I think too I had some scenery I had added to my scenery.cfg that was made for V3 or for FSX.  Disabled it and problems went away so I learned how to do addon.xml's.  I know the scenery.cfg gets corrupted because I had most of my scenery disabled and still had issues.  Lorby Si tool said it was not encoded properly.  So I deleted it, restarted P3D and it was rebuilt to the default and all was well again, including it was properly encoded.  I think too I was successful if I added scenery via the scenery library instead of a tool called SceneryConfigEditor which totally corrupts P3D's scenery.cfg.  Anyway, that's what I did to fix my problems.  Good luck with yours!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, I found my problem is my bluetooth speakers. I disconnected them and tries several flights with wired headphones with out any problems - same flights that would crash with bluetooth. I wish I knew how to fix this. I have all the latest drivers installed.

Mario Di Lauro

You might want to check our Hardware Forums for sound cards and see if anyone else has had this issue or post something in our P3D or FSX Forum.  I personally cannot see how Bluetooth could cause a crash.  Make sure the sound settings are set as per the Learning Center such as - http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/options/simulation/sound_settings.html

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 8/10/2017 at 7:36 PM, Jim Young said:

This happens when your scenery.cfg is corrupted, especially when flying a payware aircraft like the PMDG.  Not sure why it crashes but I have found that if your scenery.cfg is not formatted correctly under the new format rules and/or you do not have your scenery properly configured as Addon.xml's, P3DV4 will close without an error, a crash report, or an event in the Event Viewer.  I have fixed my issues by converting all of my scenery into the addon.xml format by using the Lorby Si Addon Manager tool.  No problems since doing that.  I think too I had some scenery I had added to my scenery.cfg that was made for V3 or for FSX.  Disabled it and problems went away so I learned how to do addon.xml's.  I know the scenery.cfg gets corrupted because I had most of my scenery disabled and still had issues.  Lorby Si tool said it was not encoded properly.  So I deleted it, restarted P3D and it was rebuilt to the default and all was well again, including it was properly encoded.  I think too I was successful if I added scenery via the scenery library instead of a tool called SceneryConfigEditor which totally corrupts P3D's scenery.cfg.  Anyway, that's what I did to fix my problems.  Good luck with yours!

Best regards,

Jim

Hello Jim.

Thank you for your input and suggestions.  I feel I have to try this but, was wondering if you might be able to "walk me through" how to do this.  

I am not very talented when it come to the behind the scenes of my flight sim although I am learning as I go along.

Thank you in advance.

David Bell.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Try the following link I posted for others -

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM