Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zevious Zoquis

OT, all you SP2 none takers, better switch off your auto-update service

Guest danowat

Well, according to various sources on the net, MS is going to FORCE SP2 in all non-SP2 machines as from the 12th April.http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=27171&category=mainThe only way to stop this happening is to disable the automatic update service.I for one will be doing this, I have "upgraded" my work PC to SP2, and was dismayed at how poorly it ran afterwards, so decided to leave it off my "pleasure" PC, it now seems this is no longer acceptable for MS and want to FORCE SP2 in every machine.Not overly happy about this, what do you all think?Dan.

Hi dan,I already have WinXP SP2 installed, but what is the difference between your expectations of SP2 vs. someone staying with Windows98 or ME for maybe similar reasons.Ironic, eh?And if people have auto turned on, they made that choice already, by agreeing that whatever MS sends them, they have agreed to have it updated. I don't see it as forcing anything.People as always have a choice to turn on that feature or not. You say "you will be doing this".So up to this point haven't you already been allowing MS to force updates on your computer?Interesting,Regards,Sonar5****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest danowat

Joe,I really do wish you wouldnt reply to my posts, again, your reply is arguementative and combative, without really adding anything of value to the original post."I already have WinXP SP2 installed, but what is the difference between your expectations of SP2 vs. someone staying with Windows98 or ME for maybe similar reasons."Again, I have PERSONALLY tried SP2 on my work PC and found that, for me, it causes more problems than good, I made an INFORMED decision NOT to install it on my "pleasure" PC."And if people have auto turned on, they made that choice already, by agreeing that whatever MS sends them, they have agreed to have it updated. I don't see it as forcing anything."That is not the case at all, you can have the automatic update service started on your PC, but you DO NOT automatically accept updates from MS, you need the service turned on to download updates from the windows update site."So up to this point haven't you already been allowing MS to force updates on your computer?"No, I have been picking and choosing, using an informed choice by first testing each upgrade on my work PC, which upgrades I use.Reading your replies to mine, and every other post on these forums make me realise why sometimes I think I shouldnt bother with these forums, why so arguementative all the time?, maybe if you have an issue with me, we should continue this in private?Dan.

Guest DemolitionMan

I'm with Dan all the way on this one, I won't be installing SP2 either, no way.I must in fairness admit that I havn't actually tried it out, but I've seen so many horror stories about how it f**ks up the system, I've decided not to take the risk.And anyway: Most, if not all of SP2 is concerned with plugging various security holes in IE and Outlook, and because they're known to be so insecure I don't use them anyway.I use firefox as my browser,Eudora as my email client, and I have a hardware firewall coupled with a good virus scanner (NOD32). Can anybody give me a plausible reason why I would want to install this junk?BestGrahame (EDHL)

While I haven't researched it too much, I believe most of the problems associated with SP2 were seen when it was "overlaid" on top of an existing installation.I placed SP2 on both of my PC's at home by creating a slipstreamed install disc. There are tools and instructions from Microsoft on how to do this. Once I created the disc, I backed up all my data and reformatted and reinstalled. This gave me SP2 straight away, with no muss and no fuss* (*I don't consider reloading my machine a muss or fuss - I do it whenever a major patch or driver update comes out. I just don't trust the uninstall procedures, plus I have a VERY robust backup plan in place so the work involved is minimal) Happily, I can report zero problems with Windows XP SP2. All of my programs function as I would expect, and I have run into no incompatabilities or odd behaviours.I share the fears of those who need to install SP2 over an existing Windows install. I remember with some Windows NT Workstation service packs seriously hosed computers... and I will never forget. If SP1 works for you, then why risk SP2. I tend to agree that if they are sending it via Automatic Update, it's not being "FORCED" upon anyone. But at least someone is getting the word out so that concerned users can turn the updating off. Those who don't know or don't understand the significance of not using the pack are JUST the people who probably need the added protections and patches that SP2 brings in. Either way - if you want to use SP2, I'd recommend slipstreaming it in to your install discs and performing a reload. Chances are if you are concerned with SP2's effects on your computer, then you have the skills and knowledge to perform the slipstream and reload. :) It's just a matter of if you have the *time*!-Germ

Hi, Dan.MS will do what they want to do, as long as they can do it. MS does not know the definition of an Operating System. In their quest to conquer the World / web they did everything they could to undermine the other developers by including all kind of

Why are so many people having problems with SP2 ? I have it installed on my home and work PCs, and they both run fine :-hmmm Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That's what I ask myself too.It seems that all those people have no problems with SP2 but have problems with 3rd party software that isn't working properly with SP2.Most 3rd party developers have long since released SP2 compatible versions of course, but for whatever reason these people refuse to install those (one reason might be that there's no "free" version available from a neighbour or colleague).We upgraded all our machines in the office and every machine with all our customers (those that have service contracts with us that is) to SP2 and had only 1 small but annoying problem.That problem was in an application we are creating ourselves, and this caused a short delay in sending it out to customers. It was caused by some rather hacked together JavaScript code which the new security settings in SP2 don't like. Changing that code took about an hour.Then there's of course the anti-Microsoft crowd which seems (ironically given that they all like Microsoft Flightsim or they wouldn't be here...) active here as well with their usual "I don't trust them therefore I won't use it" argument which is usually followed shortly by complaints that new product updates don't work without SP2 installed and/or complaints about how vulnerable to attack XP is when they get hit by an exploit that SP2 closes.Conclusion: the problems aren't in SP2, they're in the heads of the users.

*** (one reason might be that there's no "free" version available from a neighbour or colleague) *** :-)Having SP2 installed makes a noticeable difference in terms of security and ease of use. I update my virus checker weekly, but it hasn't alerted me to the presence of a virus in a long time. Also, SP2 prevents the vast majority of those annoying popups from appearing. I simply hear a click, and a message appears at the top of the page, indicating that a popup has been blocked, and that I should click on the bar to see it.....What a silly course of action that would be ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I haven't bothered with SP2 and won't unless theres no way around it. I've had windows update disabled for ages. I go on my own to the MS site periodically (after temporarily re-enabling update) and download whatever looks like it needs to be downloaded. I never get those annoying pop-ups (it only took me a few minutes of searching on the net to find the ways to completely disable windows messager). Personally, I'd find the "click" notifying me that a pop-up had been blocked just as annoying as the pop-up itself...However, I have nothing against MS at all. I like XP alot. It took me a long time to make the switch from 98 (I wasn't touching ME with a ten foot boot disk) but as stable as I found it to be, XP is more so.

He's not talking about messenger spam. That just shows your complete lack of understanding of what SP2 is.You won't find anything to update pretty soon and I'd not be surprised if you won't find a new virus scanner (for example) soon either that doesn't require SP2 to be installed.Don't come crying foul when you find out (probably after an email from your ISP that you've been cancelled for spamming or taking part in a DDOS attack) that your machine has been turned into a zombie for some criminal gang.

Your comment:"messenger spam. That just shows your complete lack of understanding of what SP2 is" is so over the top, I am almost at a loss for words. You then go on to tell this individual they will become a zombie for a criminal agency.My PC does not have SP2. It has a HW router, which will solve 85% of all issues. That, along with a spy ware checker (free from MS) and good AV (cheap by any standard today) and your PC will be find and dandy. You often appear to feel no compulsion against making the most outrageous, untoward statements at fellow forum members. You speak opinion as if it were fact, and you take every opportunity to be condescending.You, my friend, need to take a bit of a break and consider what you post, before you post it.All of this is my opinion, or as we say in the US..."My 2 cents",bt

Guest Zevious Zoquis

LOL. Ok thanks for the warning. Re the messeger - he mentioned that he was no longer getting pop-ups. I assumed he meant those extremely annoying pop-up adds that appear on your screen even when you aren't browsing the net. As I recall, those are made possible through windows messeger buts its been so long since I've seen one that I can't remember what I'd done to completely eliminate them. I know messeger was one thing but there may have been something else. regardless, the point is that I don't have SP2 and I haven't seen a pop-up in more than a year. Anyway, again thanks for the warning. I certainly wouldn't want to become a zombie for one of those evil criminal gangs out there trying to take over my computer so they can use it to advertise their evil products. :)

Guest Dakota

I did install SP2 and it ran fine for awhile, but with some of the autoupdates my machine is really screwed up. I reinstalled windowsXP and everthing installs and works fine till I do SP2 then it is all messed up again and I can't install hardly anything. Very Frustrating!I am going back to pre-sp2 for my flightsim machine.

Guest Philip Olson

Hey Dan, I am going to try and give you my view which is that of someone who fixes computers for a living. Personally I have installed SP2 on hundreds of machines and not once has there been a problem with the installation of it no matter how I have done it. I also have not received a single report of one of those computers slowing down. Now I am not saying that problems do not occur but I have not seen it happen myself. Just because one computer, your work computer had a problem does not mean that your other one will. I also have to let you in on a big secret. While some of the reports of problems with SP2 are legit, many of them are not. Some people as you know are anti-Microsoft and any chance they get they bash the company, that includes making up and posting horror stories about things like this. I know a couple of people who do this and it makes me sick. Secondly hackers and others who mean you harm put out stories like this to keep you from updating your computer so it is easier for them to get to you. So you can discount quite a few of those horror stories you have heard about. The actual number of real problems with upgrading to SP2 is extremely small, on the 4 systems that I have here in which I upgraded to SP2 there was no change in performance, except one system that had a slight boost. I carefully checked and watched the performance numbers before and after since I do this for a living. You have to believe me when I say that SP2 rarely causes problems and even if it does a re-install or a driver update may solve the issue. Think of how many millions of users have SP2 installed and don't have issues. I am sure that if you installed SP2 on your home system you would not have any problems. I am not really trying to convince you to install SP2 although it really is worth having. Mostly I am trying to get you to see through a lot of the BS that is out there about SP2. Do not believe everything you see, think about how many people just love to bash Microsoft on this forum alone. I am not saying that all of them would make stuff up but many do. If you want real advice listen to professionals not Joe Blow posting on the internet, you don't even have to listen to me since you do not know for a fact that I am who I say I am. You can easily find information by going to a few of the truly professional websites that review such things or you can call some computer repair places in your home town. Yes you had issues with your work computer but you have also been a victim of misinformation as so many others have. Saying all of that I fully understand why Microsoft is doing this but I do not fully agree with it. It is not easy to continually provide security updates and support for more than one version of an operating system, in fact it is very time consuming. Saying that the consumer should be able to keep their system as they desire it, in case they do have a computer in which SP2 causes problems. It is kind of a "between a rock and a hard place" issue I guess. Just a bit of a question in closing. Did you ever try to do anything to remedy the problem you had with performance on your work computer? Did you go to the MS website and search for a fix, or did you call them? Quite often it could be some little thing that is causing the problem, a quick fix and all is well again. I also teach classes on computers and one of the main things I try to teach the students is that the Help and Support feature is the most under used parts of a computer. I will cause a simple problem on each students computer, that is simple to fix, and then ask them to do what they can to fix it and then if they can't to call me. Almost every student, even after having gone through a few classes and they have the ability to diagnose and fix the problem, ends up calling me. When I walk up to them I tell them that they have just been charged $70.00 for a service call, if it had been real life. Then I bring up the Help and Support Center type in the problem and right in front of them is the answer. People for the most part have a PC problem and just freak out, they do nothing or very little to find the solution. I am not saying this is you but it also contributes greatly to the reports of SP2 screwing up their systems, something simple goes wrong, they freak out and then tell the world how screwed up Microsoft is. It could very well be something that they themselves caused but since they are unwilling to try and find a solution they cause panic in others. You have the right to do and believe what you want but from a professional stand point I just do not see any reason why anyone should not upgrade to SP2, besides you can always go back very easily. Some will argue that it may screw up their system so badly that they will have to completely install Windows from scratch but the chances of that happening are probably far worse than winning the lottery. Take care, Philip Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg