Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Password recovery

Hello all,

I have recently suffered a drive (SSD) fail due to numerous power failures. I have lost my passwords for P3Dv4 plus numerous others. I am now wondering how to recover . Can anyone help me please?

Regards to all

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

You can contact licensing@prepar3d.com and go from there.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

take  it  there not  a recovery   option  for  passwords

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

44 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

I have recently suffered a drive (SSD) fail due to numerous power failures. I have lost my passwords for P3Dv4 plus numerous others. I am now wondering how to recover . Can anyone help me please?

Regards to all

Tony

Go to your email account and type the name of the add on into the search box and you will get your serial numbers that way. Thats what I do

ZORAN

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your responses.

Fortunately, I discovered just now that I had backed up the passwords for all my sites/purchases and had forgotten about it. AGE, I think.

I did however, come straight here to save everyone the bother of replying only to find that you fellas are too bloody quick for me. 

As usual, and I think you know this, I very much appreciate all and any assistance derived from this site.Now if anybody wants to buy me a new computer???? LOL

Thank you so much

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

EDIT

Actually instead of a new computer, anybody interested in replacing this effin power company? LOL again

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

EDIT

Actually instead of a new computer, anybody interested in replacing this effin power company? LOL again

Tony

Hi Tony. Had a similar issue a few years back, even though I have an expensive power pack surge protector. Lost my boot drive. A painful experience reinstalling stuff many only available through download.

I have long ago applied massive rigor to data managment. I maintain two HDs for everything, I have 16 in total, 8 as masters and 8 as clones.

I suggest in todays world even home use needs to act like a company and protect its data.

All my digital pictures, old converted 8mm home movies 70 years old, new digital and analog home movies going back decades.

Games, software, compiled everything...back it up.

I even have all my digital photos backed up three times, once on micro sd cards.

Smart also to put a backup of stuff into a safety deposit box to protect against fire, water damage at home.

Its a war to protect ones data..to win one must be vigilant and aggressive in ones strategies with data.  This includes, payware, passwords electronic receipts of purchases etc.

I recommend a daily routine and weekly for sure of backing up material, the day will come when something happens and you can easily restore what might be lost otherwise and you will be so happy that you were aggressive about it.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Brian,

Great Idea mate.

I have 7 drives and 6 backed up on one 3tb HDD. 3 x 250gb SSDs (drive C-OS, Drive D-P3Dv4 and drive E-XPlane11.) 1 HDD(2tb) Drive F contains FS9, AeroflyFS2, FSX-SE, DCS, XPlane10 and FSW platforms, Drive G HDD 2tb has FS9 accessories, FSX accessories and P3Dv3 and v4 accessories, Drive H 2TB XPlane 10 and 11 accessories and Drive I 3tb is the back-up drive.

My problem was that I Lost Drive C which also contained the Passwords for everything. and whilst it had been backed up, I could not find it.

Also worth noting is that I only back up normally after a large download/installation. Your advice therefore, is going to be well heeded and should be heeded by one and all. Passwords will also be copied to each and every drive from now on because this gave me quite a fright. 

Thanks again

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

9 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

My problem was that I Lost Drive C which also contained the Passwords for everything. and whilst it had been backed up, I could not find it.

Thanks again

Regards

Tony

Yes that's the one that's the killer. Its so easy to just get on with things and all of sudden, oops. Man its painful. I used that pain as my driving reminder.

Not a big fan of the new P3D4 approach to installing into C drive as well as xml addons, but one has to in my view install them elsewhere and again, back them up.

I also backup the sim stuff that's installed onto the C drive. Various configures etc. Find out where they are. i Make desktop shortcuts so I can find them easily, and if I install stuff I regularly go there, copy the whole lot and store them onto a flightsim drive logically named. Works great, had an issue in the past all I did when I got a new C drive is copy the lot back over to C drive.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Most people who think they're safe by backing up regularly make the mistake of having all of the backups located somewhere in their home (or, even worse, on a drive inside their PC). The only way to be truly safe is to have the most important data also backed up off-site where it can't be affected by fire, flooding or some other extreme weather event. The easiest way to do this is to encrypt it yourself and then use a cloud backup service to store it. Full system backups are not really practical with cloud severs as the time it takes to do them can be ridiculously long! However, passwords, licence details, certificates, documents and photos are all practical candidates for something like Dropbox or OneDrive.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

You are correct , of course @vortex681 but I've often thought that if my house burned down, one of the last things I'd be worried about was restoring my data.  :biggrin:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

What happens if the cloud server crashes?:ohmy: That's the kinda luck I would have. I wonder if there something equivalent to an aircraft black box.

8 hours ago, vgbaron said:

but I've often thought that if my house burned down, one of the last things I'd be worried about was restoring my data.

You would if one of the things you'd backed up was you home insurance policy details! But seriously, things like electrical surges are fairly common and can just as easily damage backup drives.

8 hours ago, bills511 said:

What happens if the cloud server crashes?

You'll still have your local backup if you need it. Cloud storage is just a belt-and-braces option in case something happens to your local backup.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit