Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

So, is BlackMarble worth it with P3Dv4?

The answer is clearly YES.
I am not used to write reviews in English and this is not my aim.
But after a first negative try, I decided to reinstall BM and test it again and I am so impressed by this addon now than I wish to share my excitement.

I am used to FS and I have very much appreciated UTX night lighting a decade ago, as well as Orbx lights, later.
BM is way much powerful and renders night lighting like nothing seen before.
This is real world navigation and complete road network. You can almost use BM for real world navigation training. Not repetitive cartoon textures but reality!
And it is amazing to see the night environment from the cockpit, sincerely amazing. Road textures are bright, sparkling from far distance, so beautiful!

Does it work well with Orbx products?
One has to tweak settings a bit if he wants to get the best from the addon but it also works as it is, with less lights.
If the developer finds a way to make BM works with Orbx series without tweaks it will be perfect.
If not, one can easily switch from one to the other without hassle.
The single remaining issue is the lights pattern (oval P3D default wheat seed looking textures) when flying low but it seems like this one can be fixed.

From the cockpit, with P3D v4 lighting engine: a whole new flying experience for night flying:
2017-814.jpg

2017-815.jpg

2017-813.jpg

2017-816.jpg

2017-812.jpg

This is PMDG 747 on a short domestic flight in Greece, with Orbx Vector + OLC + BlackMarble Base + Vector.
Simply gorgeous!

So BM is indeed a fantastic tool which still needs some tweaking to work smoothly with Orbx but which has a great potential and provides already a real addition to our flying pleasure, without any significant impact on fps.

You like night flying?
This one is for you!

(I didn't try it on FSX or P3D <v4 though)

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi David

As of  now, what Orbx Tweek do I need to do to make BM/Vector work properly?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Manny,

Because there is still an issue with Orbx Regions (Orbx and Chris Bell are working on it) , I suggest NOT flying in NA fat regions.
For me the basis is the following:

- Do not make any change in FTX Central (don't touch at Vector roads nor at OLC roads)
- Do not use the "remove 3rd party" option in BM.

You'll get this, which is already more detailed and acurate than Orbx alone:
010.jpg

Now, don't move from the simulator and untick ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_EXX in the Scenery Library.
You will get that, which is BM in all its glory!
113.jpg

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Do you see what I mean?

213.jpg

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

Seems quite good however problem with ORBX really needs to be solved. As far as I get from their forums, roads in day time is quite a problem when used with FTX Vector.

Plus pricing is a bid too much may be? (39.99 USD for Base (lights pack basically) + 59.99 for Vector and additional cost if you want "support")  

• Upvote 1

Ahmet Can

During day time I just check back the Orbx entry within the sim to avoid the roads issue.
The problem is when you fly between both day/night but it is not a big deal, really.

Yes, IMO, support fees are a non sense, the dev has to provide support for free.
Regarding pricing, I believe 89$ to get the whole package once Traffic and Bridge additions will be released could be much attractive than the present price.
But to be honest there is a lot of work behind this addon, not a simple textures addition (actually there is ZERO textures, just solid rendering engine and vector database), so yes it is pricey but it deserves a high price.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,
David Roch

So I take it the subscription is to "pay" for support? It would be nice to get an answer to the question that has been asked many times already.

18 minutes ago, Jazzfan said:

So I take it the subscription is to "pay" for support? It would be nice to get an answer to the question that has been asked many times already.

Ain't that the truth!! Since when does a developer of flight sim products charge for supporting their product? The cost of added support supposed to be already in the cost of the product.

Maybe the subscription is so you can get updates? On the other hand, that wouldn't be too good either.

Paying for updates is usually only when a product crosses the line into a completely new version, like X-Plane 10 to X-Plane 11, or FSX to P3Dv4.

I surely wouldn't buy this if I had to pay for regular support.

Bob

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FSXtreme said:

I surely wouldn't buy this if I had to pay for regular support.

I agree. The price is too rich for my sim tastes. Hopefully, maybe, Orbx will "improve" their night-lighting now.

Shots look nice.

For me, I have become exhausted with tweaking sims...and for P3D4 I haven't made one.  And don't intend to. I just don't want to be having to remember to switch between this and that...its old school.

Not be a big night flying anyway, but do enjoy short hops...this is not for me especially due to pricing.

I'm suspecting this is more for those that fly the heavy's for night long hours flights etc.

Its a nice product though and the developer by teaming up with Orbx has now (which he should have done in the first place) will not doubt improve the product.

What is needed is a configure module of some sort, I'm thinking.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Bob,

No need to purchase this support option, you just untick the check box.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

I for one love the sunset atmosphere in the sim.
Better than full black nights.
And BM is splendid at dusk :-)

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

Barcelona at dusk:

310.jpg

410.jpg

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch

Sorry for the bad quality of the hosting!

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
David Roch