Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

Why make this move?

So I just decided to uninstall FSX and was thinking of reinstalling again. Then I thought wait, there are all these other options too. I already have have FSW and Aerofly2. FSW is amazing and seems very promising. Aerofly2 has a long way to go becaus of limited HD scenery. Then there is P3D4, the 64bit version, the closest thing to FSX because it shares many compatibility with scenery and aircraft. I feel lost and not sure what direction to take. Should I reinstall FSX or go for P3D? I'm reluctant to try P3D because so many are experiencing problems with CTD, and other problems. I pretty much resolved many of my problems in FSX and almost certain to be up and fying without issues if I were to reinstall again. But with P3D, I'm not sure. I have lots of Scenery from FSDT, FSbeam, LatinVFR, Taxi2gate, Flytampa. some ORBX stuff. Aircarfts include PMDG 777, and PMDG747. I am about to upgrade hardware to i7 7820X- LGA2066, Asus ROG strix X299 and windows 10 and memory to match. Here is what I have right now in terms of hardware: i7 3770K clocked at 4.6ghz, Corsair H100i, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, 16GB 1866 memory, MOBO is Asus Maximus V formula, Corsair 1000watt powersupply.

I guess I need some motivation if I was to go to P3D...the one fallback I know of right now is having to repurchase PMDG products again. Other than that, is it worth? What else do I need to be aware off? 

Thanks in advance

Troy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

It will cost you some money to replace some (not all) of your addons, no doubt, but for me there is no better simulator right now, not even close.  If you read around this forum you'll see a lot of people talking about why they are loving p3dv4.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yeah P3Dv4 is the only way. I also have FSW and AF2 both good in their own right (as well as XP11). But let's take FSW. You moved to that simulator but there is virtually no payware airports for it other than what you can port over from FSX/P3D (which some have been successful). Many payware airports have already been converted without cost to P3Dv4. Many of Carenado's planes have been ported over without cost. But for future proofing there is no other way but P3Dv4 given the length which people stuck with the 32 bit version you can imagine how long it will be for people to move from the 64 bit version.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Hi,

I can come up with 64 reasons :) to go to P3dV4  if you have a stable I7 system. From my experience a great many CTD are do to an unstable overclock when the sim server is pushed close to limits. In any case  I not aware of a large number of CTD  as I've never seen one do to P3d. That is after over 200 hours of flying as all I do is fly; it is the most stable flight simulator I have seen, period. Many of your add-ons are compatible with P3d as I completely removed FSX from my server after 1 week using P3dV4.  Have fun!

Bob 

• Upvote 1

The only ctd's i've had were self induced:

-unstable overclock

-fs9 ai traffic

both easily fixable, all good now :)

• Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The only sting you're facing is having to repurchase your PMDG birds. Other than that its a no brainer.

In the parallel universe scenario where you regret switching to Prepar3D V4, LM has a 60 day money back satisfaction guarantee. You cannot lose unless in the universe that you live in, that Money back guarantee doesn't exist! It does in the one I live in. I wish I lived in the universe where LM money back guarantee and the free PMDG upgrade also existed but I am skeptical about he existence of that universe because I have never heard anyone mention it. You might of course live in the parallel universe where DG FSW  or even FSX is better than Prepar3D V4. To determine if you live in that universe, take a look out the window. If you see a flying pig then don't waste your money on V4.

Go P3d v4 and allocate some funds for PTA. It's a game changer.

You will also need at a minimum FTX Global & FTC LC. They are a must have and a free upgrade if you have them for FSX.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

There is no more evolution possible in fsx with 32 bits. A lot of editors annonced that they don't want creating future fsx addons.

Shure with P3D v4, you shall lost definitively some lovely addons... The editors must compiled new versions of aircrafts...

But p3dv4 is just born, it's day one ! As a new welcomer no perfect.

The OM nightmare was the biggest problem in fsx and precedent versions of P3d...

I think... 64 bits ;-) is the only solution for a futur developement in simulation.

First time I decided to keep mine old version, but now when I discovered the progress of visual qualities with most settings on max, I think that past is .... Past.

If your current setup works fine, I'd stay where you are. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

I still have FSX installed but I doubt that I will ever run it again.  The PMDG planes are a bit steep but I did get the 737.  Many of my other aircraft have been ported over along with my ORBX add-on's, Chase Plane, VoxATC, Active Sky ......  The P3Dv4 performance is better then FSX on my system and no CTD's so far. 

Bill

Bill  N7IBG     

It depends on what your preferences are.
If you want to fly low and slow, maybe FSW is the way to go. I don't have it, but it seems to focusing primarily on GA aircraft.
If you like flying the tubes, P3D V4 is a better option. But be prepard (pun intended) to spend some money on aircraft ans scenery
It is much much more developed then FSW but yes: It contains bugs, however none of them are show stoppers.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Drop everything else.

Buy P3DV4 and XP11.  This is the real future of flight simulation for the next 10 years.

The rest are not. although Aerofly2 I have no experience with. Its just that these sims need tons of tender loving care, and speaking for myself I can't keep up with the two that I have.

Clean out your garage, move on to new and better. There are tons of stuff that worked in FSX that works in P3D. Some others you will need to buy. Start slow.

XP is better out of the box. There are bizillions of freeware addons and plugins that enhance it greatly. There are a few necessary payware, just like P3D that you would need to give one great flying satisfaction.

Bryan

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Don't feel like you have to rebuy every addon.

If you have a bunch of PMDG birds, how many do you actually still use? I'd start with something like the 737 and go have fun. Not having every single addon you had in FSX shouldn't be a deciding factor as long as you have the important ones (scenery + weather related mostly).

2 hours ago, troyboy66 said:

I'm reluctant to try P3D because so many are experiencing problems with CTD

<citation needed>

Seriously, what are you talking about?  I haven't had a single CTD yet in v4.

Hi Troy,

Welcome to AVSIM's major pre-occupation, "sim-wars".

Most of us (these guys above) could not agree that water is wet.

For us to agree that for the most part P3Dv4 is a game-changer is like a break in the law of gravity, but we do. 

P3Dv4 is a major event, and in my opinion, a singular victor in the sim-wars, for now.

If there is a second place, it belongs to X-plane.

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Kind regards,