Sign in to follow this  
markgrinyer

What am I doing wrong

Hi

I am just starting to learn the basics of the 777, but I am having trouble with a few things. I am using airline2sim as a guide generally but I have scanned the PDMG manuals for a solution to my problem to no avail. 

In a nutshell, my radios do not turn on (no frequencies visible rather than just frequency not working), and I do not have any tapes on the PFD

All I have done so far is get 2 jetway plugs and aligned the ADIRUS, and waited for the screens to turn on

I have 2 sources of power.

In the airline2sim videos these boot up automatically. 

I have tried starting from 'short' panel state, 'long' panel state and now Cold and dark so I have control over everything

Is it something basic I am missing? I'm using P3DV4 

Currently working my way through the PDMG catalogue, starting with the 777

Many Thanks. Mark

Besides pressing the IRS align button, you also need to pun in the coordinates on the POS INIT page of the FMC. 

As for the radios, you have to select the transmit/receive for the radios you want to use, just like in the real thing. 

Best way to learn is to fly the Tutorials.  I'd say Tutorial #1 is all but mandatory even if you are a pilot because you need to learn how to interact with the PMDG product. There is also Tutorial 1.5 available as a download from PMDG.  As for instructions on how to power up and preflight, you should be using the Normal Procedures section in the FCOM.  One should got thorough the entire step by step procedure at least once.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Again

Thanks for the advice. 

I had already copied the GPS co-ordinates to the POS INT page (I just do it so quickly I forgot). There are no numbers on any of the main displays even in the EICAS when I change screen and I can't do recall. The second task of the FCOM is to check the 3rd sim relevant item which is to check the engine oil, hydraulic and oxygen levels. But I can't do this as there are no numbers. The screens are blank except the artificial horizon colours and blank engine dials

With the radio issue, the panels are on  (off light extinguished) but no visible frequencies that I can change 

I'm following the exact same procedure as shown in the airline2sim videos, I have just watched it again and as soon as the screens come on there are numbers in the relevant places. I've also listened to it so its as if the real pilot in the videos is next to me, but what my aircraft is doing is not what happens in the video

Edited by markgrinyer
extra information

Many Thanks. Mark

Is there an avionics power switch to turn on in addition to the adirus? I don't have the product so I don't know, just throwing an idea out there.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

That's a very good way of describing what I'm seeing. The closest I can see to an avionics switch on the 777 is the primary flight controls which is on and guarded all lights extinguished.

In the past I've never had a problem and been able to take off in the 777 but yesterday was the first flight since the ops centre asked me to reinstall due to a large update. I'm currently trying to fly the emirates -300 but it effects the -200 and -200f as well. Due to the fact PDMG haven't rushed out a hot fix I'm assuming this is a local issue to me 

Many Thanks. Mark

2 sources of power - is the battery switch on as well?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, markgrinyer said:

Yep, Bat on, external 1 and 2 both on

What panel state is your default?

currently cold and dark, but it happens if I load in long and short as well.

I was using short, but when I noticed the problem I went to cold and dark as thats what I was doing before watching the A2S videos

Many Thanks. Mark

4 minutes ago, markgrinyer said:

currently cold and dark, but it happens if I load in long and short as well.

I was using short, but when I noticed the problem I went to cold and dark as thats what I was doing before watching the A2S videos

Are you running the latest version? If so how did you update? Uninstall then reinstall or repair?

I was told by the ops centre I think it was last weekend to uninstall the 777 and 737 and reinstall due an an update. I'll redownload and install and see if that works then.

Many Thanks. Mark

13 minutes ago, markgrinyer said:

I was told by the ops centre I think it was last weekend to uninstall the 777 and 737 and reinstall due an an update. I'll redownload and install and see if that works then.

Might be worth a try since it seems a font has not been installed correctly. Ensure you uninstall using the windows add remove function before installing. 

UPDATE

Just ran the repair function in the installer. Selected cold and dark, connected the power, turned on the ADIRUS looked down and the radios had frequencies visible

Just a shame that now you've helped me fix it I have to go to sleep as I have work tonight. 

I think I've started well with the 777 as the dark cockpit philosophy and some of the automation mirrors the airbus that I learned how to fly flight sim on

Thanks for being so patient with me and not just saying "read the FCOM".

FIXED YIPEE

• Upvote 1

Many Thanks. Mark