Sign in to follow this  
JU108

Do I need to upgrade for P3D v4?

Hi,

I have been almost 4 years away from FS and see that there were numerous new releases and developments since then.

I intend to fly either on FSX or P3D v4 with aircrafts like PMDG 737 and Aerosoft CRJ (not purchased yet). Sceneries would be such as Flytampa LOWW (not sure if it is being used anymore) and aerosoft offerings. Weather would be by ASX (also not sure if it is outdated). I am not interested in AI nor other ground traffic enhancing addons.

My question is - what is needed to run the above smoothly without any stuttering? Do I need to change the whole old system, and if not, what should I upgrade?

My current system is:

i7-3770K Processor
Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Kit w/4x4GB XMS3 DHX, CL9-10-9-27, Platinum
ASUS Maximus V Formula, Socket-1155
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 2GB PhysX CUDA
Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB 2.5" OEM
WD Desktop Black 2TB

I have Dell U2713HM and run the resolution at 2560x1440.

Thanks in advance!

Aleks

My question is - what is needed to run the above smoothly without any stuttering? Do I need to change the whole old system, and if not, what should I upgrade?

I have an i5-3570k (overclocked @ 4.6ghz mind you) - but that still powers through absolutely fine. Around EHAM (flytampa, + orbx global, europe LC and Vector, Active Sky etc) with the PMDG 747, I get a solid 30-40 frames with medium-high settings (1080 resolution).

I actually noticed pretty decent FPS increase on V4 over V3.

I also have very similar ram to you.

You will probably want to up your graphics card for sure, I have a 980ti.

2 hours ago, flightskyc said:

I have an i5-3570k (overclocked @ 4.6ghz mind you) - but that still powers through absolutely fine. Around EHAM (flytampa, + orbx global, europe LC and Vector, Active Sky etc) with the PMDG 747, I get a solid 30-40 frames with medium-high settings (1080 resolution).

I actually noticed pretty decent FPS increase on V4 over V3.

I also have very similar ram to you.

You will probably want to up your graphics card for sure, I have a 980ti.

I agree completely. Perhaps a 1080 if your budget can swing it. The extra ram would serve you well in XP11. The nice thing about a GPU upgrade is it's a very easy and effective enhancement and you can reuse and pop it into a more powerful system if you decide more upgrading is needed.

As I just mentioned on another post, single threaded GPU performance is still a big factor, and an OCd Ivy Bridge can still hang pretty well with the big dogs (other factors like better chip sets, higher RAM speed and infamous IPC improvements not withstanding).

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)