Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Scenery Help --Please Stop My Head From Spinninmg--

Guest Fish45

Okay here's the thing, I want to make FS9 as realistic as possible without taxing my system and framerates. I hate scenery files that want a third party scenery program installed. That said is there one out there that will handle most sceneries? I just want to be able to unzip the file, copy it, (or them)to me addon scenery folder, open FS9 and activate the scenery and restart. Sometimes I download files that tell me to do exactly that but then I can't select them when it comes time to add them to the scenery library. I follow the path to where I know the file is and it shows as empty. Like landclasses for instance. I'm using the default file structure. What folder do I put the bgl file into? Do I want to cache the scenery or use it directly? What I need I guess is an automatic scenery installer that puts the files in the correct places for me so that the installed scenery works at least 85% of the time. Could someone please stop my head from spinning so that I don't just give up and say ********** IT! and use the boring stock scenery.

You should look at the tool Flight Sim Manager 2.8.5. It has an install wizard that is designed to do exactly what you want. The success of the wizard is somewhat dependent on the scenery being zipped correctly. Sometimes it is hard to package a scenery for minimum install difficulties. Especially for freeware, it may take more work to build an installer than to build the scenery. scott s..

Hello Fish45, I know your frustration. I have in the past downloaded and installed freeware scenery and ended up with crashes in my case. as far as "Do I want to cache the scenery or use it directly?" The answer to this is always use it directly. Cache use would be in the rare case you have an express type install of FS9 that reads the scenery from the CDrom rather than the files on your drive. I also have been thinking of Flight Sim Manager as well. Sounds like a good solution for users that don't want to many headaches from trying to do everything themselves. I hope I was able to help you alittle bit. Keep us posted.