Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Scenery not found...when scenery compiles...

Hi all, read tutorials...wanted to put the following into my FSW:

But, when I run FSW, it doesn't crash, but comes up with Scenery Not Found for each of these areas.  Does anybody see something wrong here with the syntax...or I have omitted?  Thanks!

Help will be appreciated!

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA126_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_PWS_Vol_1
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA128_PWS_Vol_2
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_2
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA129_PWS_Vol_3
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_3
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA130_PWS_Vol_4
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_4
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA131_PWS_Vol_5
Local=Addon Scenery\PWS_Vol_5
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA132_LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Well..I don't see anything wrong in my scenery.cfg syntax entries...but FSW states that it can not find the scenery...so stumped until some one who has successfully had scenery show up...tells me what seems wrong...

Post Edit: I think that I figured it out....the scenery I wish to install, is 32 bit. FSW is 64 bit. Not compatible?  Probably...

Sim does not crash, just tells me that it can not 'find' the scenery, in the path that it is accepting...'but' can't find anything to read....(32 bit files?)

Bummer...

Nobody needs to reply. You can't use any FSX based scenery, that is more than very simple .BGL files.   That is the problem.  Nothing wrong...but tried to feed FSW, something that it can't parse...

If you have very rudimentary and simple scenery that has no SODE or .dll files....like UK1000 or whatever it is...than yes, you can port it over....but any other more involved elements...and you are SOOL!

There is another cfg file in hidden AppData or SteamAppData directory. I think they have to match. If you highlight your root directory through explorer and search for scenery.cfg you should be able to find and edit. You can also type %Appdata% into the Cortana search field.

3 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Hi all, read tutorials...wanted to put the following into my FSW:

But, when I run FSW, it doesn't crash, but comes up with Scenery Not Found for each of these areas.  Does anybody see something wrong here with the syntax...or I have omitted?  Thanks!

Help will be appreciated!

You've just got the @IDS_AREA numbers out of sequence, here's what they should be:

[Area.126]
Title=@IDS_AREA121_ADDONSCENERY
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA123_PWS_Vol_2
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA124_PWS_Vol_3
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA125_PWS_Vol_4
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA126_PWS_Vol_5
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

8 minutes ago, A32xx said:

You've just got the @IDS_AREA numbers out of sequence, here's what they should be:

[Area.126]
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.127]
Title=@IDS_AREA122_PWS_Vol_1
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.128]
Title=@IDS_AREA123_PWS_Vol_2
Layer=128
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Title=@IDS_AREA124_PWS_Vol_3
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Title=@IDS_AREA125_PWS_Vol_4
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Title=@IDS_AREA126_PWS_Vol_5
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Title=@IDS_AREA127_LatinVFR\Key_West_V2
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

OH....OK...I'll try again...thanks!  I thought the area had to match the layer!  

Post Edit: Unfortunately, with correcting as you show here...still within FSW,  it tells me it can't find the scenery....jeez...

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

OH....OK...I'll try again...thanks!  I thought the area had to match the layer!  

It does! You've got that part right, it's the Title=@IDS_AREA numbers I've highlighted in red which you need to change in your config.

4 minutes ago, A32xx said:

It does! You've got that part right, it's the Title=@IDS_AREA numbers I've highlighted in red which you need to change in your config.

Yep..understood what you wanted me to do...and still FSW claims it can't find the scenery in the Add On folder...!!!!   

I merely captured what you corrected, and then pasted it back into my scenery.cfg file...placed the scenery folders back into the Add On folder...and ran FSW. Same thing...can't find the scenery...

Not sure the @IDS_AREA numbering is significant.  The areas I've added don't have a number in that line nor do some of the default entries plus the stock scenery.cfg has:

[Area.126]
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

1 hour ago, AOB said:

There is another cfg file in hidden AppData or SteamAppData directory. I think they have to match.

As far as my experiments go the scenery.cfg file that is used by the program is in "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\FSW".  The other two, one in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games\FSW" and the other in "......\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW" seem to be the original default files and don't need to be edited.

7 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Yep..understood what you wanted me to do...and still FSW claims it can't find the scenery in the Add On folder...!!!!   

I merely captured what you corrected, and then pasted it back into my scenery.cfg file...placed the scenery folders back into the Add On folder...and ran FSW. Same thing...can't find the scenery...

Just a thought - do your scenery folder titles have underscores in them like your config file entries? If not, change your config entries to match the folder titles:

Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key West V2

This is my Config for FreeMeshX and I get no errors, maybe it will help... haven't messed with FSX scenery.  Not ther "AREA121" number never changes.

[Area.126]
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.127]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Patches
Layer=127
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.129]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Africa
Layer=129
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.130]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Antarctica
Layer=130
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Asia
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.131]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Australia and Oceania
Layer=131
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.132]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-Europe
Layer=132
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.133]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-North America
Layer=133
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.134]
Local=Addon Scenery\FreeMeshX-South and Central America
Layer=134
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Edited by theohall65

1 minute ago, AndyUK said:

As far as my experiments go the scenery.cfg file that is used by the program is in "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\FSW".  The other two, one in "C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games\FSW" and the other in "......\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW" seem to be the original default files and don't need to be edited.

That's what I've found too - I wonder what they're there for?

2 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Not sure the @IDS_AREA numbering is significant.  The areas I've added don't have a number in that line nor do some of the default entries and the stock scenery.cfg has:

[Area.126]
Local=Addon Scenery
Layer=126
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

I just try them all then with 121 as the IDS area number see if that blows by... :)  Thanks for all the help...would love to have the Caribbean back into this sim...

If it works, I'll be sure to let every one know...!

3 minutes ago, A32xx said:

Just a thought - do your scenery folder titles have underscores in them like your config file entries? If not, change your config entries to match the folder titles:

Local=Addon Scenery\LatinVFR\Key West V2

No, there were no underscores, actually...but saw that all the other entries do..so tried that...I just took Key West out and put all of the scenery files into the in-house scenery folder inside the Add On..and the same for textures...am going to try that next...if it picks up..then there is some disconnect in it not seeing the folders...but..funny.every time the message comes up..it DOES reference the folder name..blah, blah..can't find the scenery.  !

3 minutes ago, theohall65 said:

This is my Config for FreeMeshX and I get no errors, maybe it will help... haven't messed with FSX scenery

Thanks Theo, that's interesting... the @IDS_AREA numbers must relate to the Scenery Library entries, when there is one in FSW of course!