Sign in to follow this  
Bentree_

Did i mess up?

Hi,

Until now i have flown 6 flights from EHAM to EHAM of about 60nm at a cruise level of about 7.000 ft.

On three flights i suffered a CTD while taxi to the runway but for the rest the flights with FDE went very good..

On my first real cruise flight (online with IVAO) in the DC6 today, from EHAM to EKBI i suffered a CTD on taxi again.

Started up again and retried.....this time i could take off and climb.

Climbing to FL210 i first ran into hypoxia at about FL130, i solved it by descending to FL100 and set the pressurization.

I was climbing with FDE active (so i assumed that would take care of the cabin pressure, wich it did not appearently).

Climbing through FL180 took me about 40 minutes.......i can only climb at a rate of about 700 - 800 ft per minute with a speed of about 160 kts indicated, is that normal? (the engine run at about 40")

On FL180 engine #4 suffered from reduced throttle input, while i was doing nothing. In fact it throttled back to zero by itself.

The throttle lever went back by itself and a kind of gear warning horn audio began to beep.

I was not able to manually bring the throttle lever back to full, i quit FDE but that did not gave me back control of the levers.

I checked my fuel status and had a few hundred pounds of fuel left in the outer tanks, that should not have been the cause...should it?

To be sure, i tried to solve it by refueling while in the air using the fuel manager. (don't know if that is possible in the first place, but anyway)

I could not recover the problem though and had to end my flight after 55 minutes fighting against a stall without even reaching cruise level.

Did i mess up? Was FDE not supposed to take care of everything? i did a fuel calculation with PFPX using the provided aircraft files from PMDG.

Was this a fuel problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ben

34 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

On three flights i suffered a CTD while taxi to the runway

These CTDs are plaguing other users too. PMDG are aware of these and are trying hard to find the cause and fix them.

34 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

Did i mess up?

Probably, try flying the tutorial flight.

35 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

Was FDE not supposed to take care of everything?

No. The FDE takes the place of a flight engineer, not a pilot. Fuel management is the pilot's job, not the engineers.

35 minutes ago, Bentree_ said:

Was this a fuel problem?

Chances are you've missed something, definitely fly the tutorial.

Hello Chris,

Thanks for jumping in.

I will fly the tutorial, i did not mean the FDE has to set the fuel....... what i ment is with a few hundred pound of fuel left in the outer tanks....could that be the problem (being short on fuel?)

But then again....why does throttle #4 went down.....and not also throttle #1?

Kind regards,

Ben

Edit: By the way.... i am quite surprised that after all those CTD reports, i did not see any official PMDG statement that the CTD item is under investigation (or did i missed that?).

7 hours ago, Bentree_ said:

But then again....why does throttle #4 went down.....and not also throttle #1?

That sounds like a hardware axis problem or something else is interfering. 

7 hours ago, Bentree_ said:

By the way.... i am quite surprised that after all those CTD reports, i did not see any official PMDG statement that the CTD item is under investigation (or did i missed that?).

In another thread on this, users sent in support tickets and PMDG acknowledged they were looking into it but were having a hard time tracing it. 

Would also be my guess.

IMO 700-800fpm is a nice climb rate indeed, all loaded up you may see this value decrease even more. Perfectly normal for propliners.

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

I re flown the flight, this time no issues and i could manage to reach FL210 with 200 ft/min in the last part of the climb.