Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Top 10 Reasons FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"

3 minutes ago, HumptyDumpty said:

I thought FSW already has ORBX global

It does, but it doesn't look as good as it could and lod doesn't extend far enough right now. The weather now looks amazing in FSW!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

2 minutes ago, tonywob said:

They are using ORBX global but also have SSAO (ambient occlusion). For LOD, I honestly don't know what they've done, if anything.

As an experiment, uninstall or disable all of your P3D addons so it's completely vanilla, and then try and use the sim. I'd be absolutely amazed if anyone actually preferred P3D then. People forget that you get ORBX global built into the sim, AccuFeel, Trusky, there is no need to spend yet another $99.

Again, wait till the addons start appearing :cool:.

P3d out the box is horridly bad. :biggrin:

If it wasn't for orbx or GEX I would have given up on FSX and I certainly would never have upgraded to p3d v4.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tonywob said:

They are using ORBX global but also have SSAO (ambient occlusion). For LOD, I honestly don't know what they've done, if anything.

As an experiment, uninstall or disable all of your P3D addons so it's completely vanilla, and then try and use the sim. I'd be absolutely amazed if anyone actually preferred P3D then. People forget that you get ORBX global built into the sim, AccuFeel, Trusky, there is no need to spend yet another $99.

Again, wait till the addons start appearing :cool:.

You will be waiting a while for addons. None of the big players are interested in DTG's closed shop. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GHarrall said:

You will be waiting a while for addons. None of the big players are interested in DTG's closed shop. 

In the video, Justin mentions that there is no requirement to sell on Steam anymore and there will be a public SDK. I'm not sure how he knows or if this is actually true, but it kind of changes things if he's correct.

Yup, plenty of people are bothered about the costs involved in going to P3D V4 from FSX, and not without some justification either. I doubt I am the only person who was more than a little surprised to discover that P3D V4 does not have the capability to download a basic weather METAR unless one adds a (typically) payware add-on to it, or that the clouds, ground terrain textures, autogen, ATC and nav aids it comes with are virtually instinguishable from those which came with FSX twelve years ago. So right out of the box you're throwing another 40 quid at P3D V4 for something such as HiFi's Active Sky just to get it to do something which FSX-SE (which you can often get for a fiver in a sale), or even the original FSX from over a decade ago does by default. They were right to call it Prepar3d, because you'd better be prepared for that shock when moving from FSX for a kick off lol.

Then you've got to start tarting up the terrain (more expense). And this when a free/20 quid early access sim already has Orbx terrain in it by default, better flight modeling by default and has a completely new and impressive weather system in there by default too. So if I take off in default P3D V4 in a GA aeroplane, then do the same in FSW, the one I got basically for free having bought Flight School (and even if that were not the case, would have only been 20 quid) looks better and flies better than the one I had to pay a lot for, and this is before the thing is even finished. Can anyone see what is wrong with that picture? You might have to look through some better rain or snow effects to see it.

Yes P3D V4 does have a lot of new stuff in it, but a good deal of that new stuff is to facilitate its use as a military scenario training platform, and neither use nor ornament to me personally since I'm not currently, nor ever likely to be planning an assault on some banana republic stronghold with my Navy Seals unit. As far as flying a Cessna, a 737 or a helicopter about is concerned, it's basically no different in terms of functionality from FS98. Yes there are some new lighting and graphic effects in there, but even those features are not without issues. Compare for example the Steve's DX10 fixer clouds in FSX-SE with the ones in P3D. Yeah, you'll pay about 20 quid for privelege of having them in FSX when they are in P3D by default, but they work better in FSX with no visual glitching and have more display options too.

It's all very well people claiming that most of the stuff for P3D V4 was a free upgrade, but in very many cases that's only true if one had a P3D V3 product. If one was going to P3D V4 straight from FSX (which was actually a bit more of a sensible choice since the move to 64 bit was a genuinely compelling reason to do so, because P3D V3 could still OOM), then that was and is undeniably an expensive move.

I and everyone else I hope, understands that there genuinely is additional expense in making stuff for P3D, but I still think some developers are taking the p*** with customers who've bought their recent FSX products, who then are expected to have to buy the thing all over again for P3D V4 with no kind of loyalty discount or other concession whatsoever in spite of having kept them in business for literally years. Yup, there are differences in a P3D V4 and an FSX product, and so I'll happily pay for that work involved, but if some developers imagine we're stupid enough to believe that they've completely had to create new 3D models from scratch model again, or do the textures completely from scratch again, or do all of the research again, just to get their FSX bird or scenery into P3D from FSX when it is basically the same base platform, then they really are taking the p***.

This is exactly why I have not bought several add-ons for P3D V4. As noted, I don't, and indeed should not, expect them to sell me those things for a pittance for another sim platform, but I hope they are not going to hold their breath waiting and imagining I'll happily throw another very large sum at them for a P3D version when it has, in large part, essentially the same content with all the attendant costs to make that same stuff well and truly already redeemed from preceding sales of its FSX incarnation which I've already bought, and this for a simulation base platform which really does not look or fly that much different from one which is literally decades old.

• Upvote 11

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Spot on Alan, you took the words straight from my own mind (and put them better than I ever could)

For the price I paid for PTA, I could have purchased FSW.

There's no denying that the price will certainly be a deciding factor for most "shrewd" or "parsimonious" simmers.

Price really is a big factor. I think the majority of hardcore simmers who post on the P3D/PMDG forums aren't really fazed at all by high costs, but I guess this number represents only a small percentage of the full market of people who enjoy simulators in general.

For a bit of fun, FSW is a great impulse buy. Just like many of the other simulators you see on Steam. It is very well suited for newbies and it's clear this is the crowd DTG are aiming to grab, but they are also impressing some of us old-timers as well.

Well said Chock.Spot on.I have some of those greedy developers in my black book, and they will never see another $1 from me. One particular developer was so bad, it was borderline dishonest.

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

4 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Price really is a big factor. I think the majority of hardcore simmers who post on the P3D/PMDG forums aren't really fazed at all by high costs, but I guess this number represents only a small percentage of the full market of people who enjoy simulators in general.

For a bit of fun, FSW is a great impulse buy. Just like many of the other simulators you see on Steam. It is very well suited for newbies and it's clear this is the crowd DTG are aiming to grab, but they are also impressing some of us old-timers as well.

That video definitely got my attention, especially the weather in FSW. I doubt that the aircraft in FSW will replicate my p3d v4 experience, at a price off course.

Flying the RA Lancair with GTN 750/650 combo, in ORBX Regions & Airports like LOWI & FT Vienna, with dynamic weather by ASP4/ASCA, and PTA shaders. it's just mind boggling.

I've never seen or experienced such immersion in a flightsim in all my years of simming.

The video tittle is a joke! The sim is however showing lots of promise for the future simmer.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Flying the RA Lancair with GTN 750/650 combo, in ORBX Regions & Airports like LOWI & FT Vienna, with dynamic weather by ASP4/ASCA, and PTA shaders. it's just mind boggling.

I missed my ORBX and A2A products, which is what made me install P3D v4. ORBX I got for free, but I was dismayed to see I had to spend $79 to get the Cherokee and another for the C182 when I already owned them for FSX :(. The Cherokee and C182 are simply unbeaten on any other platform for me.

45 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Well said Chock.Spot on.I have some of those greedy developers in my black book, and they will never see another $1 from me. One particular developer was so bad, it was borderline dishonest.

Clear

All good points, Chock. But as others have pointed out, it really does come down to the addons. If PMDG and other high-end developers (e.g. the Flightbeams) announce that they'll develop for FSW, I'll be sold. Until then, it's just a different sort of dead end, isn't it?

James

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, arsenal82 said:

than you blame devs for not supporting dtg ?

Where in my post did I mention DTG ? Or developers not supporting DTG ? I was replying to Chock's statement regarding FSX and P3D V3 addons porting over too P3DV4. My example was having a go at a certain dev charging twice for the same product, like a well known cockpit addon made for a well known aircraft.

You might have mis understood, or did not read what i said correctly.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

14 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I missed my ORBX and A2A products, which is what made me install P3D v4. ORBX I got for free, but I was dismayed to see I had to spend $79 to get the Cherokee and another for the C182 when I already owned them for FSX :(. The Cherokee and C182 are simply unbeaten on any other platform for me.

It is the paying twice that got me too. The thing I love about FSW and X-Plane, is they are great out of the box, and has cost me a fraction of what I have spent on FSX/P3D. So I agree 100% with your statement.  Having said that, there are some developers who have been fantastic, and updated at no cost, and deserve a tip of the hat.

• Upvote 1