Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Top 10 Reasons FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"

47 minutes ago, Fernando Mera said:

CUT

Be warned, expect as replies a multitude of lame excuses on why "you are comparing apples and oranges", and "a flight sim can't look like that for this and that other reason...", and blah, blah, blah... :biggrin:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

2 hours ago, Fernando Mera said:

I just realize there is a new sim called FSW from Dovetail, which i really dont know anything from them..

And i have some questions that hopefully can be answer..
----------------------------------

Is this a brand new sim, like from zero..? Or is something like P3D which is basically FSX with some patches.. ? Cuz someone said this was FSX with DXT11.. And that is very disappointing.. 

I read something that FSW has ORBX Global and Vector is this true? Is Carenado involved? 

If is based on FSX can you install add-ons from FSX to FSW? Is it worth it? 
-------------------------------------

I believe P3D V4 is very popular cuz is very stable = no CTD anymore plus is a 64bits sim which i think can handle more than 4gb of ram than fsx.. Does FSW too? With one purchase of FSW you get all the updates or every Update cost 25USD..? Why does any big company like EA Games, Ubisoft or even Rockstar Games cant make a sim.. I think is a very profitable industry if not ask Lockheed Martin, Xplane, Microsoft.. 

I really hope this is the real NEW SIM and not just an update like P3D.. We deserve it its been 11years from the last MSFS, i remember when MSFS make a new sim every 2 years, if MSFS didnt stop making FSX would look like real by now.. 

Thanks for your time and patience..  BTW this is what other gamers have and they just install the game and use no tweaks or extra add-ons:

I don't think you are going to get slammed with the "you can't compare this sim to that sim". Good questions, that I can not answer them all. But I'll try my best and people can correct me.

This is my opinion only and probably wrong.  It is based on the FSW code , but to me ( think I'll get corrected here) and this is a bad analogy, Dovetail is kind of using it ,coding for it, like a base game engine. Except instead of completely striping it, they kept the old keyboard command's, almost everything, etc... in the code. This is only  the way I see it. And they are taking the parts they want to concentrate on and rewriting, updating, changing, pieces at a time. It's pretty obvious what they are working on and what they are leaving as is :) Have no idea what their future plan's are!

And I believe it is DX11 and it is for sure 64 bit? Of course people are porting over FSX stuff. They are hard core simmer's! Whether it work's or not, or will be over written by an update, I have no idea! Even if it was code NEVER seen before people would try this. Example the defunct MS Flight. Someone after they closed it down figured out how to add FSX stuff to it. I have no idea if MS Flight was based on FSX code!

My understanding from Cryss and Aimee at Dovetail, and yes I asked. Is there are no charges for UPDATES and you will not be charged again if you bought DTG Flight School or FSW during Early Access. No more charges! I would imagine updates are free always, no matter what the state of the sim is, Early Access, Final Version, whatever!

Some people like FSW and where it appear's to be going, some people don't! Only time will tell. And yes at some point there will be jet's, and other content, but I have no idea when or how all the channels of distribution will be handled! Only Dovetail and the 3rd party developers they have talked too know! And who know's if they agree with each other or not!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Thank all of you for the fast reply..

So i just decided to buy it because, why not..? In my country is just 10USD plus i had credit on my steam account so hoping the next updates would be free.. FSW was practically free for me..

Now an other thing since is just basically FSX..People are just starting to figure out how to use the planes from FSX to FSW..  And hopefully airports too..

Here is the link.. 

I think he didnt copy all the gauges thats why they dont get the AP working.. But at least is something.. Im downloading FSW is 15Gb+/- so when is finish i definitely going to make some experiments but its nice people is getting involve and FSW getting more attention..

• Upvote 1

Hi, just joined the AVSIM community. Fantastic site with tons of info and "pro" simmers.

Decided to share my perception as a new comer to the flight sim world.

As a first time user of any Flight Sim, I feel the offer by DTG with FSW is a no-brainer. 

I´m a into race simulations for decades, like Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom, SimBin Race series, etc  FSW made a good first impression. It is well done, beautiful and provide a good "fun" from the start. 

The setup with triple screens was pretty easy and did not need to enable NVidia Surround to work. Better yet, it seems to use the same idea of Assetto Corsa and is able to manage the 3 screens efficiently individually, so performance with triples is better than managing a massive virtual single "screen".

My setup is 3 x 24 inch 1920x1200 displays, GTX 750ti 2GB, Core i7 920 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM. It can run triples in Medium settings with little bit of stutter on the extras screens only. Main screen is perfect.

I bought it without even thinking twice, little more than US$ 10 and (I did not know) includes packages that costs almost US$ 50, like FTX Global, AccuFeel and so on.

After playing FSW I was more interested in Flight Sim and started my researches.  FSW is really very similar to FSX (that I do not own yet), but with more potential for the future.

So essentially what we get is an affordable Base package that is functional, and works with the third party packages made for FSX. Tested some demo scenarios and all of them worked flawlessly. Orbx packages don´t even need the FTC Global installed to work. 

I believe FSW will bring some new Sim fans to the air. In my case I have some 10 hours of flight in the first week. I was able to learn the basics, use auto-pilot and land where I was supposed to land. Traveled over the Andes in regions I´m very familiar, and was impressed with the scenario and correct positioning of the peaks and lakes. There are almost no cities in this part of the world. Try Villa O´Higgins airfield in Chile.

Very happy to leave the racing tracks for a while and fly away. Flight Sim with photo realistic terrains will be stunning, can´t wait.

Thank you all for sharing all the info available at AVSIM.

Marcelo

• Upvote 4

Welcome Marcelo, you've come to flight sim at the most exciting time in years - and we're all new to FSW so we can all learn from each other. It would be great for us to know how you think FSW compares to the latest race sims, if there are any similarities?

• Upvote 1

Welcome Marcelo, nice to know that FSW even in Early Access is catching the attention of people brand new to the flight simulation community. Sound's like you are already seeing your $10.00 US worth of fun and enjoyment! I think in the long run, FSW will bring some new people to the hobby of flight simulation! Makes me happy! I think Steam is going to make a huge difference in the future of all flight simulation, not just FSW! And that is a good thing!

• Upvote 1

Very much worth the US$ 10, for sure.

The sim racing arena is crowded with new titles. Most of them excel in one specific feature while the main ones try to keep the simulation as the main objective, not the entertainment. Today the graphics are getting so good that even a sim oriented title can be enjoyed by users who seek visuals too. The cars are super detailed, the setup possibilities are sometimes more flexible than the real race cars. Everything can be changed from tires to suspension angles, passing through the combination of electric and combustion engines and aero-dynamics.

The racing arena is very competitive too, with worldwide leaderboards for hotlaps making the users trying to beat better racers all the time. I spend days trying to cut some decimals of seconds from my laptimes.

Resuming, we have some solid Sim Racing titles that are always being developed and upgraded. Different from the FS scene as you mentioned.

Maybe FSW will change that, as it was in my case. I knew Flight Sims since MS FS 2006 I think, but it did not attract me because to make it good other stuff were needed to be bought, and that is another compromise when choosing you platform. We think twice before adding $tuff to specific games. Assetto Corsa as an example, charges US$ 10-15 for a "Car Package" with some 5 or 6 new cars. It is not expensive and it would be worth it only to have the detailed cars in your hands, not to mention one can still drive them.

Steam is a boost for sure. I'm pretty sure FSW will largely benefit from this, as well as the DLCs. In the case of flight sim, maybe it will be better than racing because racing scene is very divided between many titles that do not share any kind of content. So once you decide for one title you usually forget all the others and focus. 

Overall, comparing flight sim with race sims FSW did not disappoint, adding extra content from OrbX and others make it much better and comparable with the best latest racing titles.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Marcelo

• Upvote 3

Although some don't like to see these types of debates on the forums I find them very useful. Call it a "my sim is better than your sim" debate, or alternatively it might also be known as the Socratic method. Either way, because of this thread I now know quite a bit about a sim I had no knowledge of previously. I learned quite a bit about the future direction of FSW and the commitment of the development team behind it. It also made me rethink why I am spending all of this time, effort and money trying to get P3DV4 into a usable state. I was getting ready to drop $2,500 on a new desktop to make P3DV4 work. Now I'm not so sure.

So my thanks to all of you who put in the time and effort to educate me on the pros and cons of the various new options available to the flight simming community and potentially save me a boat load of money.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, bandman said:

Although some don't like to see these types of debates on the forums I find them very useful. Call it a "my sim is better than your sim" debate, or alternatively it might also be known as the Socratic method. Either way, because of this thread I now know quite a bit about a sim I had no knowledge of previously. I learned quite a bit about the future direction of FSW and the commitment of the development team behind it. It also made me rethink why I am spending all of this time, effort and money trying to get P3DV4 into a usable state. I was getting ready to drop $2,500 on a new desktop to make P3DV4 work. Now I'm not so sure.

So my thanks to all of you who put in the time and effort to educate me on the pros and cons of the various new options available to the flight simming community and potentially save me a boat load of money.

I could not agree more! As long as it doesn't turn personal as these kinds of discussion too often do.

Vic green

Agree completely.  I hadn't been thinking about FSW at all.  Thanks to the video and to this thread, I am now - quite seriously.  Thanks to everybody who's jumped in and argued his side.

And thanks to the last few members for being so open to our discussion about FSW. Whether you end up actually trying it is up to you. I think you would like it either now, or if it's not your cup of tea at the moment, maybe, just maybe, when it goes Gold, RTM, whatever you call it, you will give it a try if you feel it is worth it from discussion's, video's, a option you had been waiting on, or something.

I also have to say lately that it appear's that the down right hate post fro FSW has calmed down a lot and the discussion's seem a lot more friendly. and I for one appreciate the last few post that show they are professional. We can all enjoy the sim's we enjoy, ( think I just fly FSW, absolutely not ).

Thanks again to everyone that is calming down and just enjoying all the NEW sim's and having great, and friendly debates :)

When FSW gets a top line airliner or 2, that's when things will get interesting.

4 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

At least it didn't get locked! :laugh: Cheers all. 

Has the fat lady sung? Oh wait, is that fat shaming?  <exits stage left>

Good to see that there can be had a civil discourse amongst the various sim factions.

System: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @ 4.2GHz, 2x16GB DDR4 2600MHz CL18 RAM, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 1TB, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512GB, Seagate 2TB HDD, Windows 11 Pro 64bit, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog.

VeryBumpy, I agree. Whenever FSW get's out of Early Access, Beta, Super Beta, whatever you call it, and get's an SDK in the hand's of people. And I have no idea when that will be. The flood gates will open, slowly at first, I would imagine. And then we are off to the races!

Someday, hopefully...

Enjoy all your sim's everyone! And I mean all of them. It's a hobby, that we enjoy!

• Upvote 1