Sign in to follow this  
Dusk

Top 10 Reasons FSW will be the next "Flight Simulator 2017"

I'm pleased they fixed that mouse bug that has been plaguing FSX and even P3D when I tried it out. It seems it had something to do with switching from a GDI based mouse to a Direct2D one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, magnetite said:

I'm pleased they fixed that mouse bug that has been plaguing FSX and even P3D when I tried it out. It seems it had something to do with switching from a GDI based mouse to a Direct2D one.

That's good news. It's too bad that LM won't fix this bug in P3d. Odd since P3d uses a hardware cursor and I've never seen this bug.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That's good news. It's too bad that LM won't fix this bug in P3d. Odd since P3d uses a hardware cursor and I've never seen this bug.

It's masked by your settings. If you turn all the sliders to the left and move your mouse, it's still there.

I don't own P3D v4 (previously had 3.3.5 installed to try it). I did a Google search just now, and it does contain the g2d.dll and g3d.dll in it's folder, so it still uses GDI for the mouse.

Jeff, you are correct. I tried an experiment and set all the IQ settings to the max and yes, the mouse-induced frame rate drop is still there in P3d V4. I noticed a locked recent thread with the same topic (only because the original poster solved the problem) on the LM official forum, so I started a new thread and asked LM staff if indeed the FSX mouse bug was still extant in P3d V4.

Sorry for the digression and now back to discussing FSW...

The biggest improvement in P3Dv4 for me is the much greater autogen range. That's something that continually gets glossed over in this pissing matches but it's a big graphics upgrade for me, especially flying into urban areas.

When DTG gets around to fixing that, I'll buy FSW. I uninstalled P3Dv3 and went to XP11 full time because I was so sick of seeing a short ring of autogen around the plane.

The autogen draw distance is also tweakable in P3D, which would be a handy feature to have in FSW.

What is this P3D we are talking about? Also tweakable in FSW...In the .cfg file while in early access...

1 hour ago, bonchie said:

The biggest improvement in P3Dv4 for me is the much greater autogen range. That's something that continually gets glossed over in this pissing matches but it's a big graphics upgrade for me, especially flying into urban areas.

FSW does do alpha-fade of autogen, which is a nice enhancement, and the draw density seems very high. I have asked in the DTG suggestion forums for them to add knobs for tweaking both draw distance and fade-in distance, so hopefully we'll get these.

The blurry ring issue is way less noticeable in FSW by bumping up LOD_RADIUS. It doesn't change autogen draw distance but it does greatly improve the distant terrain visuals. I know it's not what you want but to my eye it's pretty good.

Barry Friedman

1 hour ago, switch686 said:

What is this P3D we are talking about? Also tweakable in FSW...In the .cfg file while in early access...

Which setting in the CFG is it located under?

Personally, I don't mind the draw distance in FSW, the reality is that most of the time when you are flying an aeroplane for real, you lose stuff in the slant range of the haze out at about the range which is depicted in the sim. Having well defined autogen buildings depicted out to the horizon is just not what you see in reality.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

FSW is the only simulator I fly on my desktop. Therefore any bug fixes or updates are always a bonus to me. I know it will cost us all a lot of money to get add ons to bring it up to whatever our personal standards are once the ball starts rolling but so does every hobby. Some of my multitude of MSFS purchases are years old so it doesn't average out to much in the long run. With FSW 64 bit grabbed me as did it being free for Flight School users. So I offloaded my very seldom used FSX. That reminds me I still have not passed my LAPL test. Must stop flying around the scenery and do the serious stuff :biggrin: 

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the increased autogen just a case of increasing the LOD range in the config file? It's been years since I messed with the fsx config file. I'd imagine the same would work in FSW.

On 15/08/2017 at 9:36 AM, tonywob said:

(...) P3D and FSW are still using the same flight dynamics (...)

A small correction, but quite important : P3D still calculates the flight model exactly as did FSX : ONE flight box is going through one or more tables that have been filled with datas from real planes (normally).

FSW does the same :reading  tables, still no prediction like Laminar Research. BUT if the legacy ESPs (FSX, FSX-SE, P3D all versions) use only one wing to make the output from the table, FSW is using TWO WINGS ; the flight model in FSW is twice more precise for default plane (if tables are right of course) than the same plane would be in P3D.

You may get back to browling :p

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, DreadMetis said:

A small correction, but quite important : P3D still calculates the flight model exactly as did FSX : ONE flight box is going through one or more tables that have been filled with datas from real planes (normally).

FSW does the same :reading  tables, still no prediction like Laminar Research. BUT if the legacy ESPs (FSX, FSX-SE, P3D all versions) use only one wing to make the output from the table, FSW is using TWO WINGS ; the flight model in FSW is twice more precise for default plane (if tables are right of course) than the same plane would be in P3D.

I've noticed that there are minimal entries in the .air files of the default FSW aircraft, and almost half of them are FS2K2 parameters. It seems to me that the flight dynamics are contained mainly in the aircraft.cfg files and the .air files mainly provide data for the cockpit instruments, or am I way off?

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.