Sign in to follow this  
captain420

ENVTEX vs REX4 Texture Direct+Soft Clouds, with PTA

I've been using Rex 4 TD+SC since P3D v3, but it hasn't been updated for P3D v4 compatibility yet. I'm willing to wait a bit longer for that, but I also heard good things about ENVTEX as well. For those of you who have used both products, could you tell me which one is better for P3D v4? I am also using Active Sky P3D4 and ASCA as well. I really miss my REX4 TD, especially the sky colors. But then I heard ENVTEX was designed to go hand in hand with PTA and Active Sky/ASCA. I'm not sure if I should purchase PTA/ENVTEX or wait for REX4 TD+SC to be updated and use that instead with PTA.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

8 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I've been using Rex 4 TD+SC since P3D v3, but it hasn't been updated for P3D v4 compatibility yet. I'm willing to wait a bit longer for that, but I also heard good things about ENVTEX as well. For those of you who have used both products, could you tell me which one is better for P3D v4? I am also using Active Sky P3D4 and ASCA as well. I really miss my REX4 TD, especially the sky colors. But then I heard ENVTEX was designed to go hand in hand with PTA and Active Sky/ASCA. I'm not sure if I should purchase PTA/ENVTEX or wait for REX4 TD+SC to be updated and use that instead with PTA.

AS4, ASCA, Envtex, and PTA together is a match made in heaven

• Upvote 5

Matt Wilson

Yes, seems like a lot of people are saying that, but why is it a great match? Rex 4 Texture Direct+SC hasn't been updated yet for P3D v4. So it's really hard to say which one is better with PTA and ASP3D4+ASCA.

I don't want to purchase ENVTEX and find out later that Rex 4 TD will be better. Since I use FTX Global for my textures, what purpose do I have for a texture package such as ENVTEX or REX 4 TD? Will these 2 texture add-ons overwrite my FTX Global Textures?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

No it won't affect Global, it's clouds and sky basically. AS to whether it's "BETTER" - no one can tell YOU what's better for YOU. For ME, ASP4/ASCA/Envtex and PTA2 are the way to go.

Make your own decision - you have a 50/50 chance of being right.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm also interested in a mini-review now that ENVTEX SP1 with P3d v4 support has been released.

How is the water coloring & animation with p3d v4 using envtex?

One of the great things about REX was how it improved the water and animations in FSX.

ENVTEX Clouds?

IMO REX Soft Clouds are still the best I've seen.

Effects in p3d v4?

I'd like to see better rain & snow effects with ENVTEX.

Airport Textures? How do they compare to REX4?

Other features that REX4 has are sound effects & lightning. The generate weather is a cool feature in REX4 and the UI is fantastic.

ENVTEX on the other hand integrates with ASCA and has a new UI.

BTW, support is excellent for both products.

Now let's hear from those who have ENVTEX. Thx.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest JustanotherPilot

I decided on ENVTEX with PTA for P3Dv4 because of the long delay in REX being updated. I am blown away by the realism in texturing. Ground and cloud textures in conjunction with PTA add a new level of realism. I am so impressed I'm not going to bother updating REX when it finally becomes available - something not taken lightly as I've owned every version of REX released. ENVTEX also comes with 3 PTA presets to choose from which really tweak the visuals.

6 minutes ago, JustanotherPilot said:

I am so impressed I'm not going to bother updating REX when it finally becomes available - something not taken lightly as I've owned every version of REX released. ENVTEX also comes with 3 PTA presets to choose from which really tweak the visuals.

+1

ASP4 and ASCA is simply the best out there for weather right now. Dynamic cloud textures and a fantastic realtime weather system works really well. Saying that, the ASCA sky textures are not great, That for me is where Envtex comes in. Their sky textures are very cool and they also integrate with ASCA so that they get dynamically integrated into the sim depending on weather conditions, and where you are in the world. It's a killer combo. Finish it off with PTA and the Envtex preset for PTA and things look quite amazing in the sim world..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

No it won't affect Global, it's clouds and sky basically. AS to whether it's "BETTER" - no one can tell YOU what's better for YOU. For ME, ASP4/ASCA/Envtex and PTA2 are the way to go.

Make your own decision - you have a 50/50 chance of being right.

Vic

+1 Aaron. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

What about the water & animations in p3d v4?

I received an email from the dev and there will be improvements to rain & snow in a future update. That's good news.

Hurry, I'm about to add ENVTEX to cart.

Okay all these "texture" packages are getting confusing. I already have FSFX precipitfx texture package, if i use the rain & snow textures from ENVTEX will they overwrite one another? Before buying, I want to know what I'm getting into here and if these packages will play nicely with one another.

So as far as FTX Global goes, I see ENVTEX has more than just sky and cloud textures, but also ground textures like grass too, which I'm afraid will interfere with FTX Global.

I am using ASP4, REX Textures Direct and Soft Clouds. And I will be using REX Airports HD when its released for V4. Why am I using these and not the alternatives? Because I already bought both them before ENVTEX was available and I bought them all on sale. I don't really care which combination is better because I already spent the money. I will Probably buy PTA when its on sale. That's the ticket for me "When its on sale!" and if I already have something that is reasonably up to date I not replacing it with the latest and greatest! FS is expensive and you need to be rational. So if you already have REX be patient and what to see if you are satisfied with it before you buy an alternative Addon. That is of course unless you are so well off that dropping a hundred bucks a week on your hobby is not a problem.:biggrin:

20 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Okay all these "texture" packages are getting confusing. I already have FSFX precipitfx texture package, if i use the rain & snow textures from ENVTEX will they overwrite one another? Before buying, I want to know what I'm getting into here and if these packages will play nicely with one another.

So as far as FTX Global goes, I see ENVTEX has more than just sky and cloud textures, but also ground textures like grass too, which I'm afraid will interfere with FTX Global.

AS16/ASCA/ENVTEX/PTA all work together in harmony. FSFX precipitfx texture package is not affected at all.

There is also a new update coming for REX4 on Tuesday. Let's see if anything new has been added.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I am using ASP4, REX Textures Direct and Soft Clouds. And I will be using REX Airports HD when its released for V4. Why am I using these and not the alternatives? Because I already bought both them before ENVTEX was available and I bought them all on sale. I don't really care which combination is better because I already spent the money. I will Probably buy PTA when its on sale. That's the ticket for me "When its on sale!" and if I already have something that is reasonably up to date I not replacing it with the latest and greatest! FS is expensive and you need to be rational. So if you already have REX be patient and what to see if you are satisfied with it before you buy an alternative Addon. That is of course unless you are so well off that dropping a hundred bucks a week on your hobby is not a problem.:biggrin:

ENVTEX was on sale for 20% off back in March.

Yes, I heard Rex 4 TD+SC will finally be updated for P3Dv4 coming this Thursday or earlier... I will hold off until then to decide if I should stick with that or get ENVTEX instead. But for the time being, I think I may invest in PTA.