Sign in to follow this  
captain420

ENVTEX vs REX4 Texture Direct+Soft Clouds, with PTA

Guest JustanotherPilot

An update for Potential buyers....SP1 has just been released which offers full Prepar3D v4 integration and many more features..more information available at https://togapjcts.wixsite.com/toga/envtex

It's very tempting to get ENVTEX... :( Must resist. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

35 minutes ago, captain420 said:

It's very tempting to get ENVTEX... :( Must resist. 

Why? There's nothing you will find out later that you don't know now. There are no products that I can think of that are so unique that there isn't a competitor or an overlap with another product. If YOU don't try them, how will you know? You take MY word that product x is better and the you buy it and don't like it? Waste of time even asking my opinion.

IF you are completely happy with what you have, stay with it. If not, then buy the new one. If you like it better you are good to go until the NEXT *better* product comes along. 

You are asking a question that is impossible for ANYONE to answer.

Bottom line again - if you like what you have keep it, if you think it needs improvement, buy something new.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

6 hours ago, Avidean said:

And I will be using REX Airports HD when its released for V4

It was released 2 or 3 weeks ago

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

2 hours ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

No it wasn't. The REX website says P3Dv4-compatible Airports HD won't be ready until mid-September.

11 minutes ago, charliewards said:

No it wasn't. The REX website says P3Dv4-compatible Airports HD won't be ready until mid-September.

Opps, you are correct. I used the Rex downloader and pointed to the p3dv4 folder in settings. It works, but maybe the textures maybe not optimised

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

3 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

Opps, you are correct. I used the Rex downloader and pointed to the p3dv4 folder in settings. It works, but maybe the textures maybe not optimised

No worries!

30 minutes ago, timest said:

Might want to wait.  :biggrin: 

More info to com.

tdenh.jpg

Hurry up!

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 hours ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

No it wasn't! According to the REX website it will be released for V4 mid September.

17 minutes ago, Avidean said:

No it wasn't! According to the REX website it will be released for V4 mid September.

See my reply to Charlie above.

From my experience, I can tell you that ENVTEX has the best sky color textures out there. They are beautiful and, most importantly, super realistic. That alone makes this add-on worth a purchase. In comparison, a lot of ASCA sky colors look cartoonish and unrealistic. REX is somewhere between these two. 

When it comes to clouds, ASCA and REX easily beat ENVTEX. If you have ASCA and ENVTEX, you can get the best of two worlds: ENVTEX providing great sky colors, while ASCA delivering superior clouds. The good thing is that ASCA changes these textures dynamically en route. With ENVTEX you also get northern lights.

As far as airport textures, I think REX offers more variety than ENVTEX, although the fewer sets of the latter offer a good quality.

I would definitely recommend to buy ENVTEX - you won't regret it in the instant you fly at dawn or dusk :)

• Upvote 3

If ENVTEX comes with its own shaders, then maybe one can do without having to buy PTA.

I like that you can enable & disable features:

ENVTEX.jpg

I have PTA and some great presets and some great freeware sky textures. REX soft clouds are fantastic. My sim looks amazing.

I wanted different water colors and better animations, realistic representation of rain & snow, and lighting.

I'm waiting for REX's announcement.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.