Sign in to follow this  
captain420

ENVTEX vs REX4 Texture Direct+Soft Clouds, with PTA

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

PTA is a must have.

I have a serious problem with ASCA, I don't like the clouds that it generates when using dynamic mode. If I use a theme and choose the cloud, then I get some nice clouds. ASCA sky textures don't look as good as some freeware textures, and REX sky textures blows them away.

I'm sticking with REX 4 EE for sky textures and REX soft clouds, and everything else REX offers and ASP4 as my weather engine until sky force is released.

Sometimes the ASCA cloud do look a little generic or repetitive I will say.  Not sure if thats ASCA or just the default AS cloud that are doing that.  Ill probably pick up PTA tonight.  I keep reading great things on it.  Question: What happens if ASCA is in dynamic mode and REX is installed?  Does it just not pull from that cloud base and fall back to ASCA clouds?  I remember I had a rex SC theme installed with ASCA in dynamic mode, but was never really sure what it was pulling against.  I thought it looked good at the time anyway lol.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

If you need too many add-ons to make things look good, then hmmm, something is very wrong. I have REX and PTA,and I am very happy. I dumped ASCA as REX to me is way better especially for sky textures.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

I have a serious problem with ASCA, I don't like the clouds that it generates when using dynamic mode. If I use a theme and choose the cloud, then I get some nice clouds.

If you are saying that if you choose an ASCA theme and like it but when you use Dynamic you don't - I'm pretty sure the cloud sets used for dynamic are selectible from the ASCA interface.  Don't recall the steps though. If you mean third party textures, then no, you cannot use them in dynamic mode.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

And I am yet to see better screenshots than with AS16+ASCA+ENVTEX.

• Upvote 1

Hi, 

Last time, I bought Rex Texture Direct (Just Flight) and Rex Soft Clouds (Rex Studios) separately, 

Now I dont know if I install Rex Texture Direct Enhanced Version, should I install again Rex Soft Clouds ? and is Rex Soft Clouds (standalone version) compatible with p3D V4?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, hkhoanguyen said:

Hi, 

Last time, I bought Rex Texture Direct (Just Flight) and Rex Soft Clouds (Rex Studios) separately, 

Now I dont know if I install Rex Texture Direct Enhanced Version, should I install again Rex Soft Clouds ? and is Rex Soft Clouds (standalone version) compatible with p3D V4?

Thanks

Download new p3d v4. Both addons work.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Question for those that run with rex enhanced + softclouds and maybe envtex..

Whats the right thing to do to utilize soft clouds.. is it to UNCHECK the clouds options from within Rex Texture Direct Enhanced.. then open Softclouds and choose a cloud set? (mine is not the combined rex texture direct + soft clouds, its the two separate ones)  Or do you still pick clouds in REX TDE then choose one set from Softclouds in combo?

(I also have envtex.. i guess it will take playing with both to determine if at least the ground/skies of envtex are better than using rex enhanced ones.)

Then there are those here that say they use rex with ASCA/ASPD.. is this how you achieve this?

**Its my understanding in ASCA you would UNCHECK all cloud options (to use third party) then to get dynamic weather changes using whatever brand installed cloud set, you use the Full Dynamics option or Global Automatic?  I think Full Dynamics is a performance mode, while Global gives you the max of everything?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

6 minutes ago, theskyisthelimit said:

**Its my understanding in ASCA you would UNCHECK all cloud options (to use third party) then to get dynamic weather changes using whatever brand installed cloud set, you use the Full Dynamics option or Global Automatic?  I think Full Dynamics is a performance mode, while Global gives you the max of everything?

If you uncheck them, those items will not be used in dynamic/global weather. Might as well just use one of the regular themes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

If you uncheck them, those items will not be used in dynamic/global weather. Might as well just use one of the regular themes.

Vic

Sorry.. correction.. only leaving Structures (and maybe Sky) checked off in ASCA while then using Global Automatic, to use REX + ASCA ?  Unclear if any of the quality settings would then matter.  Its my understanding that leaving Cirrus and cloud textures unchecked in ASCA prevents ASCA from using its Own textures.. this to allow third party programs to have their textures be used instead.   Does this make sense.. if not, why would that be?  (i think that using ASCA with structure set, just adds details to the REX SC clouds)

ascasettings1jpg.jpg

**in regards to my question on softclouds vs rex settings.. appears i missed a key thing.. i had to install the rex integrator from their website which then put soft clouds into rex itself.. now when i view clouds in rex it doesnt really say softclouds when choosing the actual cloud set, but just at the top or on the splash.. so i guess all cloud sets are considered "soft" once you do this

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Just installed ENVTEX and am very happy.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, theskyisthelimit said:

Does this make sense.. if not, why would that be?  (i think that using ASCA with structure set, just adds details to the REX SC clouds)

No, it doesn't work that way. The cloud structures are meant for the ASCA cloud textures. If you are not going to use ASCA textures, forget about dynamic/global. Simply, if you use all of ASCA you get Dynamic, if you mix and match with third party - you lose the dynamic integration.

As to your questions about rex soft clouds - perhaps someone can chime in or maybe you might ask in the REX Support forum - I'm not quite sure how they do that and I do not want to speculate.

Vic

25 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

No, it doesn't work that way. The cloud structures are meant for the ASCA cloud textures. If you are not going to use ASCA textures, forget about dynamic/global. Simply, if you use all of ASCA you get Dynamic, if you mix and match with third party - you lose the dynamic integration.

As to your questions about rex soft clouds - perhaps someone can chime in or maybe you might ask in the REX Support forum - I'm not quite sure how they do that and I do not want to speculate.

Vic

The reason I ask is that over on the envtex site they actually address this.. which seems to counter what your saying (confused)...

"If you want to use Envtex clouds with ASCA, you must enable the corresponding cloud (Cirrus or Cumulus) in Envtex and disable the corresponding clouds (Cirrus or clouds) in ASCA."

If the above is true, then its a question of Full Dynamic vs Global

16 minutes ago, theskyisthelimit said:

The reason I ask is that over on the envtex site they actually address this.. which seems to counter what your saying (confused)...

"If you want to use Envtex clouds with ASCA, you must enable the corresponding cloud (Cirrus or Cumulus) in Envtex and disable the corresponding clouds (Cirrus or clouds) in ASCA."

And if you want to use REX clouds in ASCA you must disable etc etc.

What's so hard to understand? Forgive me but you have asked this SAME question in several different threads and keep getting the same answers.

ASCA+ASP4= dynamic

ASCA+ENVTEX+ASP4=dynamic because Envtex uses the HiFi API

REX+ASCA+ENVTEX+ASP4= NO dynamic

REX+ASCA+ASP4=NO Dynamic

REX+ASP4= NO dynamic

Vic

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

And if you want to use REX clouds in ASCA you must disable etc etc.

What's so hard to understand? Forgive me but you have asked this SAME question in several different threads and keep getting the same answers.

ASCA+ASP4= dynamic

ASCA+ENVTEX+ASP4=dynamic because Envtex uses the HiFi API

REX+ASCA+ENVTEX+ASP4= NO dynamic

REX+ASCA+ASP4=NO Dynamic

REX+ASP4= NO dynamic

Vic

I havent asked this specific part regarding ASCA, but many many others have.. and it seems every time there is confusion but no real clarity.. the closest to clarity has been the post by Toga in regards to their product which should follow in line with REX.

There are also a few videos out there that say the same thing (but have questions with No answers), they state you can uncheck the textures, still use Rex and Dynamic mode..

If as you just pointed out (first time i've seen this anywhere mind you), that Envtex is using the Hifi Api to make dynamic mode work, then this makes perfect sense (finally), however i've not seen that mentioned before (about the hifi api).  Then it would follow that every other mention out there that claims full dynamic works with rex as long as the textures in asca are unchecked are wrong (why would we uncheck them in the first place or even use asca if this didnt work).. this is the confusing bit.. especially when you couple this with other sources out there.. I'm simply trying to find out what the correct combination is (and hopefully make a lot of other confused people happy)...

Example of SC + ASCA (again what does using ASCA add if you arent setting a mode here in ASCA)?

In this video he (around 3min) he claims to set to Global mode and then get a dynamic set based on Rex textures.  (edit: i think perhaps the only reason for ASCA here might have been for dynamic sky textures)

ok, we're going round and round here. I'm locking this. Please continue your question in the HiFi support forum - perhaps they can explain.

Vic

EDIT: Decided to unlock this as there's some good info on the original topic.

@theskyisthelimit Post your asca question in the HiFi forum please.