Maestaru

GTN 750/650 Complete - A few Questions

Recommended Posts

1) I noticed that the worldwide database attached to the recent "Complete" version of the GTN for P3D4 does not appear to include seaplane bases (at least they do not populate for me).  The FAQ in the Flight1 Support page says that an update is available from Garmin for $25, but this is an old post, and the link is broken.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

2) Is there a config app for the 750/650?  I noticed that a male voice confirms TAWS in the Duke Turbine, while a female voice makes the same TAWS-related warnings in my MilViz Beaver.  Is there a way to control a default voice?  The actual Garmin manual shows a male/female selector in setup.

3) Is there a better way to STORE a "graphically edited" existing flight plan.  After changes I select STORE and am prompted that the FP already exists, and that a new FP has been saved (adding "2" to the title).  Might be better if asked to "replace existing file?".  Am I missing a step or, if not, what is the logic?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

 

re1.  I have CYWH, Victoria Harbour..

re 2.  You should run the F1GTN config app for each airplane and set your preferences.  Or, alternately edit the F1GTN.ini file for the aiplane..  TAWS voice is one of the line items.

re 3.  Ask Garmin.. it is their software  :cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post

Bert, thanks for the reply.

1. CYWH is there; about 30 others are not.  Yet I noticed after posting that the SPBs are in P3D4 (i.e. in the flight planner, and even in the basic map it provides, identified as little anchors).

2. My F1GTN config app does not provide that level of detail.  Does yours?  But the advice to amend the .ini is helpful; I will go that way.

3. Will do.  Hopefully they still offer a more complete database.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Maestaru said:

2. My F1GTN config app does not provide that level of detail.  Does yours?  But the advice to amend the .ini is helpful; I will go that way.

 

Scroll down... :happy:

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, Bert.  Found the switch in the config app, and in the .ini.  Now if I can just get Garmin to provide good news on a worldwide database with SPBs.  

Share this post


Link to post

4.  Does this Complete unit offer cross-fill flight planning?  I cannot locate the feature but I thought it would be standard. 

It would be great to create an FP on the 750 and then use the 650 as a slave.  This way the FP could display on the 750 map, and the 650 could display the waypoints and distance to (or many other combos).  

Share this post


Link to post

Flight1 is aware... but it is not (yet) available.

It IS on many people's wishlist, though.  Mine included. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post

5.  I Have not successfully integrated subject kit into two of my add-on planes (including the RealAir Duke).  However, I noticed that, even if I have a complex  flightplan active in the GTN, the ATC Menu does not recognize it as an IFR FP and is giving only the option of creating one.  I know that the GTN and P3D4 are storing FPs in different locations and, thus are not talking to each other in this regard.  

Here is my question: how can I even run an IFR flight using the GTN in P3D? Hopefully I am missing something.  

With Autumn rapidly approaching, and the fog coming along with it, I will not even be able to get clearance from the tower.

 

Share this post


Link to post

6. Is there a shortcut to suspend all TAWS alerts, other than screening through to Terrain and permanently de-selecting "TAWS Inhibit"?

I mostly fly my GA planes in the Canadian Rockies, and whenever I am performing low-level flights receive incessant reminders to pull up.  

To be clear, I am looking for a quick way to toggle off/on suspend, not cancel.  (Neither of my GAs offer this feature on the annunciator.)  During an alert, the GTN's button on the bottom left is insufficient since the danger (mountain) still sits in close proximity and, after clicking cancel, the warning re-appears immediately -- and blocks the map (not good in low-vis conditions and on Approach to somewhere like Bella Coola, or Stewart).

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Maestaru said:

6. Is there a shortcut to suspend all TAWS alerts, other than screening through to Terrain and permanently de-selecting "TAWS Inhibit"?

I mostly fly my GA planes in the Canadian Rockies, and whenever I am performing low-level flights receive incessant reminders to pull up.  

To be clear, I am looking for a quick way to toggle off/on suspend, not cancel.  (Neither of my GAs offer this feature on the annunciator.)  During an alert, the GTN's button on the bottom left is insufficient since the danger (mountain) still sits in close proximity and, after clicking cancel, the warning re-appears immediately -- and blocks the map (not good in low-vis conditions and on Approach to somewhere like Bella Coola, or Stewart).

As in the real unit, can't turn that off. Safety feature. 

Share this post


Link to post

@Bobsk8 

Thanks, Bob.  You raise a good point.  But at least in the sim ver and the GTN Trainer you can turn off TAWS (Terrain/Menu/TAWS Inhibit).  But I do not want to turn this system off; I only want to quickly and temporarily suspend it while flying on an approved coroute that guides the pilot to safely meander through the middle of tight valleys; say, following along an inlet or river.  There is no other way to fly into some of these remote locations, since you cannot lose airspeed fast enough by coming over the top of a 10,000' mountain - perhaps in a helicopter if you do a vertical drop :)

Regardig safety, I wonder if it is safer to temporarily suspend the TAWS and rely on coroutes, instrumentation and experience or lose the map view at a critical point like Approach, Final, or Touch-down in low-vis conditions.  My thought: the pilot should be the one who controls the warnings and tools needed.

Share this post


Link to post

Have you asked this in the official F1 GTN support forum? They are very quick to respond. If you have not done it, you need to register prior to posting.

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Maestaru said:

Here is my question: how can I even run an IFR flight using the GTN in P3D? Hopefully I am missing something.  

I don't have any experience with any of this yet but afaik Little Navmap is a planner that can export its plans to P3D as well as the GTN. So create a flight, export it for P3D as well as the GTN, then load it into P3D as well as the GTN and the two should 'work together', almost as if they are talking. :happy: Take note though that default ATC sucks a bit when it comes to following plans. It usually vectors you all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post

@J van E 

Thanks for the response.  GTN is very good at creating complex IFR flightplans, including with procedures.  That is not the problem.

The problem is getting the P3D4 ATC to recognize that FP as an IFR FP, which it does not.  So, in poor vis conditions where IFR is required, the Tower will not approve my take-off request.  It says to file an IFR FP - which I already have created and active in the GTN.

I am familiar with LNM.  It is a great app.

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Maestaru said:

The problem is getting the P3D4 ATC to recognize that FP as an IFR FP, which it does not.  So, in poor vis conditions where IFR is required, the Tower will not approve my take-off request.  It says to file an IFR FP - which I already have created and active in the GTN.

You have to options then: either create an IFR plan as I said with Little Navmap instead and then do the export to P3D as well as the GTN, in which case P3D ATC will see the exact same plan as the GTN has loaded and will allow you to take off, OR create the plan as you do now in the GTN (which obviously feels more realistic) and then create a very basic simple IFR plan in P3D itself (just A to B) so you can at least file the plan and get approval of P3D ATC. No matter what plan you throw at P3D ATC it will never follow it anyway so if you just want to get approval that second option may be the best.

P3D ATC will never ever see that plan in the GTN: there is no link indeed and there never will be. So no matter what you do or how you do it you have to create and/or load two plans to get going: one for the GTN and one for ATC.

Share this post


Link to post

Option two is reasonable, at least to get off the ground.  Immediately after that, however, the IFR FP created in P3D would need to be cancelled.  Otherwise ATC could call for changes in Flight Level, airspeed, and course.  Making any of these changes would take the vehicle off the GTN FP (and defeat the purpose for having a high-end nav system).

Your last para is solid as you strike at the heart of the matter.  From this I recognize that, since a dev solution does not seem imminent, a work-around is necessary.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

If you only use ATC to get off the ground you could also simply change frequency and ignore ATC. :happy:

Another option might be to get an ATC addon like ProATC and then feed it the same flightplan as you program into the GTN. That way you will have ATC that actually follows your plan! I don't know where you get your GTN plans from of how you actually plan them but I am sure there is a way to get that plan into ProATC. That might be the best option. But it costs extra money and extra work. :happy:

Little problem here may be though that ProATC uses for instance Navigraph data while the GTN uses the Garmin trainer so there may be (and will be) differences. It is a real shame there is no GTN that uses Navigraph data. It is the MAIN reason I haven't upgraded my GTN.

Share this post


Link to post

@J van E

First statement brought a laugh.  But no cleared take-off and landing would kill the realism, and possibly me if I hop onto a runway with a heavy coming in on final :)

I will take a look at the ProATC.  Thanks.

I too have a current Navigraph account and, honestly, cannot believe that P3D, GTN, and Navi are not in perfect sync.  Even the 750 does not slave to its 650 (though ithey are sold as "complete"). This feature is used in the real world - both aviation and marine -  and offers a great way to simultaneously view the map on the large screen and the waypoint list on the small one.

No complaints though; very cool apps.  Just dreaming, I guess... 

Share this post


Link to post

they are working on the crossfill capacity, and as for the nav database, it is possible to keep the GTN current...  https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/pilotpak/   No surprise though, if you don't want to spend thousands per year for updated nav info.  However if you are a rw pilot (or know one) with one of these units it might be possible.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Maestaru said:

@J van E

First statement brought a laugh.  But no cleared take-off and landing would kill the realism, and possibly me if I hop onto a runway with a heavy coming in on final :)

I will take a look at the ProATC.  Thanks.

I too have a current Navigraph account and, honestly, cannot believe that P3D, GTN, and Navi are not in perfect sync.  Even the 750 does not slave to its 650 (though ithey are sold as "complete"). This feature is used in the real world - both aviation and marine -  and offers a great way to simultaneously view the map on the large screen and the waypoint list on the small one.

No complaints though; very cool apps.  Just dreaming, I guess... 

While you are at it, take a look at Pilot2ATC.   http://pilot2atc.com/

This one fills the bill for me.

Bill

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, Bill and Shawn.  Great option.  I am in exploration mode for a better ATC system, and am also encouraged to hear that the devs are working on the crossfill option.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShawnG said:

they are working on the crossfill capacity, and as for the nav database, it is possible to keep the GTN current...  https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/pilotpak/   No surprise though, if you don't want to spend thousands per year for updated nav info.  However if you are a rw pilot (or know one) with one of these units it might be possible.

Shawn, My wife was looking over my shoulder when I followed this link.  No words, just the look that has shut down a lot of dreams :(

Share this post


Link to post

And those prices are ANNUAL. :biggrin:

 

Vic

Share this post


Link to post
On September 4, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Maestaru said:

I only want to quickly and temporarily suspend it while flying on an approved coroute that guides the pilot to safely meander through the middle of tight valleys; say, following along an inlet or river.  There is no other way to fly into some of these remote locations, since you cannot lose airspeed fast enough by coming over the top of a 10,000' mountain - perhaps in a helicopter if you do a vertical drop :)

Hi, this thread has been brought to my attention and you might want reading this:

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now