Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

White FMC EICAS message

First, I promise you I have tried every search combinations of words I could think of to search all of PMGS's manuals.

I'm only on my second flight of the 777, because I don't have a lot of spare time to learn all this yet, so I'm flying along from KMIA to Bogota SKBO and since takeoff I have a white FMX message.

I don't know whay this is and didn't see it in the tutorial flight.

Could it be something I did incorrectly?

As I said, I searched all the manuals on my iPad for FMC status, FMC, status mesage, you name it.  I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks 

Jack Sawyer

Hi,

it means that you probably forgot to complete the ACARS upload sequence. My bet would be either the wind upload or the descent winds upload. Press the FMC COMM button, and it will prompt you to the page where you still have open tasks.  

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

28 minutes ago, xkoote said:

Hi,

it means that you probably forgot to complete the ACARS upload sequence. My bet would be either the wind upload or the descent winds upload. Press the FMC COMM button, and it will prompt you to the page where you still have open tasks.  

Cheers,

Thanks, I'm not familiar on how to do that yet.

Jack Sawyer

Are you doing the PMDG and Active Sky flight plan loading? In other words are you requesting you flight plan through the FMC, or are you loading you flight plan manually?

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

4 minutes ago, xkoote said:

Are you doing the PMDG and Active Sky flight plan loading? In other words are you requesting you flight plan through the FMC, or are you loading you flight plan manually?

I loaded a PFPX flight plan when I pressed the LSK for requesting route.

Jack Sawyer

Correct,

because you did it this way, and because you probably have activesky the FMC will do an ACARS sequence in which it not only loads the plan, but loads the waypoint winds etc just as in real life. Only you have to execute these downloads. Because you have not executed these downloads, the *FMC prompt stays displayed. It is too long to explain here, but look at the B777-300ER Supplement on page 7. It will go in to detail on how this works. And/Or search online for PMDG 777's company datalink feature.

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Thank you.  It all seems so very complicated.  I'll look at page 7 and do a search.

Jack Sawyer

Well, on my iPad I just looked at all my documents but don't see anything related to it on page 7.  All I really see is tables of contents.

Where do I get this supplement?  I don't have the 300ER add-on yet.

Jack Sawyer

13 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Could it be something I did incorrectly?

Yes and no.

White messages are informational, primarily. Think of the white messages of 'no smoking' and/or 'sealtbelts on' on the EICAS. The *FMC message is simply telling you to pay attention to the FMC. Namely, the FMC had a prompt on it that you likely simply just cleared out of habit. Don't. The plane is always telling you something. Don't simply instinctively hit CLR.

When you see *FMC, look down at the CDU and read what it says. What is it telling you? Follow it from there. Slow down. Pay attention.

I know you just got a lot of our stuff, so it's all like drinking from a fire hose, but again - slow down a bit and try to see what is going on around you.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, I know exactly what you mean about rushing.  I rush because I'm used to it, I was always using 3.4 and was afraid of a OOM.

Anyway, I think I got the FMC message as you said because of clearing a message, however, the message was about the winds being ready for download.  This baffles the heck out of me as I have no idea what LSK or sequence of LSK's to use to bring in the winds.  And no matter how many YT's I watch or even the Airline2Sim videos no one every covers this.

Jack Sawyer

7 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thanks Kyle, I know exactly what you mean about rushing.  I rush because I'm used to it, I was always using 3.4 and was afraid of a OOM.

Anyway, I think I got the FMC message as you said because of clearing a message, however, the message was about the winds being ready for download.  This baffles the heck out of me as I have no idea what LSK or sequence of LSK's to use to bring in the winds.  And no matter how many YT's I watch or even the Airline2Sim videos no one every covers this.

Legs page

RTE DATA (Or Legs data can't remember but it's 6R bottom right)

Again 6R or bottom right will have Load. Hit load then execute.

Then it'll say VNAV DESC FORECAST UPLINK or something similar.

Go to VNAV page

Go to VNAV Descent page (3/3)

Go to forecast (5R I believe)

Click load again. Don't believe you have to execute this one.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, PMDG777 said:

Legs page

RTE DATA (Or Legs data can't remember but it's 6R bottom right)

Again 6R or bottom right will have Load. Hit load then execute.

Then it'll say VNAV DESC FORECAST UPLINK or something similar.

Go to VNAV page

Go to VNAV Descent page (3/3)

Go to forecast (5R I believe)

Click load again. Don't believe you have to execute this one.

Thank you!  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I'll print this out and try it as soon as I get a chance to fly again.  Much appreciated.

Jack Sawyer

Just now, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thank you!  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  I'll print this out and try it as soon as I get a chance to fly again.  Much appreciated.

No problem

10 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I think that, technically, the *FMC indication is driven by the FMC COMM page. While you can get to everything via the procedures Chris mentioned, the central hub of everything is FMC COMM. If you click that key on the CDU, it's just a matter of determining which prompt to hit. The usual progression is PERF INIT > RTE DATA (wind forecasts) > DESC FORECAST, just to give you some idea of what it might be as you step through things.

E.g.: If you pull new wind data mid-flight, you'll get a prompt when the data comes back, and then a prompt when the DESC data is ready. Again, the CDU will have a message in the scratchpad with specific information about what it's alerting you to. Stop. Read. Process. Act. Too many people simply hit CLR. Don't be those people :tongue:

Kyle Rodgers

3 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I think that, technically, the *FMC indication is driven by the FMC COMM page. While you can get to everything via the procedures Chris mentioned, the central hub of everything is FMC COMM. If you click that key on the CDU, it's just a matter of determining which prompt to hit. The usual progression is PERF INIT > RTE DATA (wind forecasts) > DESC FORECAST, just to give you some idea of what it might be as you step through things.

E.g.: If you pull new wind data mid-flight, you'll get a prompt when the data comes back, and then a prompt when the DESC data is ready. Again, the CDU will have a message in the scratchpad with specific information about what it's alerting you to. Stop. Read. Process. Act. Too many people simply hit CLR. Don't be those people :tongue:

Thanks Kyle, but I cleared it out of frustration in not knowing how to get the winds in.  Perhaps between you and Chris I'll be able to understand it better.

I never try to pull in the winds mid-flight, I try to do it on the stand as I set up the CDU.

And like you said earlier, it's like a firehose on full!  So much to learn on three complex jets.  I used to work these in real life but all we ever did was re-wire the signals to the CDU's or update the AIRAC.  We were never taught the operation of the FMC/CDU's.

Jack Sawyer