Sign in to follow this  
DeeGee

I'm already Hooked

New member checking in.

I've been involved in aviation all my life. I was a GA pilot at 17 flying a Condor tail dragger. I then joined the RAF flying Phantom and Tornado F3s as a navigator on squadrons and an instructor. I dusted off my PPL just before I retired and am now an aviation author.

My project has been to macquire the Tornado F3 simulator which has been restored with full cockpits front and back. I had hoped to restore some capability but the wiring was stripped out when it was decommisioned. At that point I turned to virtual reality as an alternative.

I have had lots of help from an expert to get me started. I'm using a high end PC with P3D V3 and Flyinside. I've loaded ORBX England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Germany and REX weather. I have Tac Pack but yet to explore weapons. I also use Oculus Rift and touch controllers.

The front seat fit allows me to fly the Tornado F3 in a virtual world. I've installed a Saitek controller in the simulator cockpit to allow me to interact but form the real cockpit. It may be possible in future to take taps off the real hardware. The next stage is to install a 2nd PC to allow a passenger to fly along using the "WSO mode".

I've mastered the art of add on scenery, high def airfields and add on aircraft. Needless to say I've installed a Phantom model!

I have just worked out how to use Sim Director to generate simple scenarios. So far I can intercept a Bear, a Badger and can follow another Tornado into an intercept.

Early days; it's all very new and I learn new things every time I fir up the kit. Thanks for this superb forum in which to learn the art and answer my dumb questions.

https://www.facebook.com/f3simulator/

Welcome aboard. Nice to see someone here who flew both Old Smokey and the Blue Circle. Good luck with the sim build. :cool:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

cool looking setup with the real hardware!!

cheers,-andy crosby

Welcome to Avsim!

Very nice looking setup.  I was just wondering why your not using P3Dv4?  Does v3 work better for what you are doing?

Bob

3 hours ago, FSXtreme said:

Welcome to Avsim!

Very nice looking setup.  I was just wondering why your not using P3Dv4?  Does v3 work better for what you are doing?

Bob

I got started just before P3D V4 arrived Bob. As I'm still learning I decided to stick with V3 as it seems to do what I need. Thanks for the welcome.

• Upvote 1

Awesome to sense your dedication to aviation! Kudos! 

Always in our hearts AVQ1. Andre Roy. 

Air Traffic Controller New York TRACON

Interesting background!  Hope you enjoy your visits here at AVSIM!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10