Sign in to follow this  
Guest Keyser Soze

Interesting info for people who use AVG anit-virus software

Bob, the logo is only relevant on a certain platform.LinuxWindowsXPWindows NT, etc....No need to contact Grisoft, for if you read the text immediately below the Logo, you would have read this. "We have received the VB100% in the test of virus Bulletin in February 2005 on Windows NT platform."There is no "More to this story", IMHO, if Grisoft violated VB's logo program they would be all over them for it. ;-)So it was for Windows NT, so do you run Windows NT, as the version for NT is different than the AVG for workstations (XP)?Also folks should be careful with trying to compare a anti-virus program with a spyware or malware detection program. They are very different IMHO, and I try not to mix the two. I like dedicated software.Regards,JoeJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest danowat

Joe,This is the body of the text as I recieved it."NOD32 Receives 30th 100% virus Bulletin AwardFor more than seven years, NOD32 remains the only antivirus system in the world that has not missed any 'In the Wild' virus in the prestigious tests performed by the international authority on virus prevention, recognition and removal - virus Bulletin."With its usual admirable performance, NOD32 once again leaves little room for comment and achieves its latest VB 100% award with predictable ease.", commented virus Bulletin in its February edition granting Eset's antivirus its record 30th virus Bulletin 100% Award. A record breaking 28 antivirus products were tested on Windows NT and NOD32 was one of only 4 that achieved a clean sweep detecting all the viruses in all the test sets in both on-demand and on-access tests without any false alarms.NOD32's scanning rate of zipped executable files was more than 2.8 times faster than the second best product and over 9.3 times faster than the last of the products with 100% detection rate.With the exception of Symantec, none of the big "brand names" made the grade with 100% detection in all test sets this time around, missing viruses in either on-demand or on-access scanning and sometimes both. A selection of those who didn't make the grade below :"Maybe the data I was presented is not true, never the less from personal experiance AVG is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard ;)Dan.

>Of course the best anti virus protection is not to open dodgy>attachments in the first place.Sorry, this is not true these days. I was getting plenty of viruses, trojan horses without ever opening any attachments.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Dan,Are you saying that the chart is something you received in an email?Also, I suspect that most here are using Windows XP, so why should we care if any software achieves a 100% on Windows NT?How many sim using Windows NT here?I think the info is misleading, and is more of a marketing ploy for payware software than it is helpful.I could really care less about any rating from Windows NT, as I don't use that operating system. Do you?In your post above, it says:"A record breaking 28 antivirus products were tested on Windows NT and NOD32 was one of only 4 that achieved a clean sweep detecting all the viruses in all the test sets in both on-demand and on-access tests without any false alarms."Great for them, but that's only Win NT right? Just like AVG's rating advertisement is only for Win NT according to VB.My interest is from that chart you uploaded to Avsim. If that chart is about Win NT, AVG has a seperate version for WIN NT and WIN XP, and that should be clear to readers here.Where is that chart from?I would really like to see the data for that info you posted in your first post. What OS, etc...?Thanks,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

So why is it that some people never see any viruses whilst others appear to attract them like bees to honey? They must be doing something wrong.

Guest Edam

>One word, NOD32, extremely fast and effective program, with>100% detection record, and a VERY light footprint, i.e. no>performance hit.Yeah, well I tried it and *something* is slowing down almost every system function ever since. There is a noticeable delay with almost everything. Web page loading, saving clips to ClipCache (even the sound that it makes when capturing a clip is slower), etc. As usual, "people rave, but your mileage may vary." Addendum: I tried F-Secure and it wanted me to uninstall Ad-Aware before it would install. Why? I think that I'll stick with AVG. BTW: After getting rid of NOD, the system is back to the way that it was as far as speed.

A trojan is, by definition, a program sent represented to be one thing, but carrying within it malicious code waiting for execution. The trojan has to be imported and executed on the host system to work. Sort of like the real trojan horse. Which makes me wonder why a leading brand of condoms would be named Trojans...I mean you think about it, a vessel full of bad little guys finally gets allowed into the forbidden inner sanctum, then the bad little guys get out and kill everybody... ??? :-)It's possible to have a trojan executed by configuring your system to execute some programs automatically...like word documents embedded in e-mails with macro viruses as one example, or wmv files with embedded malicious scripts.It's also possible sloppy port/firewall management is an issue...and then there's the whole spectre of one malicious back-door program letting in all the others.But on the topic of AVG...I'm struggling to believe that a product which was rated at the 100% mark last time it was evaluated on the XP platform is now letting viruses through by the thousands. It does make me wonder if they're still using the 6.0 version (I think Grisoft stopped updating the signature files on v6 months ago) or something similar. Or maybe there's something fundamentally flawed with the testing and certification procedures.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest lalo lolo1

A month ago a virus infected my old Win98 computer although the AVAST autoprotect was enabled.AVAST detected the virus after it installed itself, but did nothing with it. Was unable to repair the files, and since those were critical windows files, if the were put in the chest, Windows started having 1000 problems. Finally I installed NAV and run the AV in DOS, which finally removed the viruses. Leo

Guest DNelson

I'm speculating, but they may be talking about the NT kernel, which includes 2000 and XP. You'd think they'd be more specific though. I don't see how they could possibly be talking NT 3.51, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Its probably not significant but I just uninstalled AVG7 and installed AVAST. After scanning 330000 files on 8 partitions Avast discovered one Trojan in an old System Restore file. So I suppose AVG wasn't doing too badly for me anyway.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

I just did two complete scans one with AVG and the other with NOD32. None of the two found viruses. Both programs have their virus definitions updated. I think I'll stay with AVG since its free. I also run a firewall and Spybot and Adaware.just my .02 centsEd

>They must be>doing something wrong.No,they are not doing anything wrong. They may simply use their computers much more fequently, or visit more 'risky' sites or install more programs. The risk is proportional to your exposure to the outside world.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

I just came across this thread, decided to check my software and ran a scan. AVG ran (with the newest updates) and found nothing. I installed the version of Norton Corporate that WMU supplies to it's students with the newest definitions and it found nothing. I installed F-Secure and it found 4 copies of the same trojan horse. No matter what I did, I could not get either Norton Corporate or AVG to find those.For what it's worth.

>Or>maybe there's something fundamentally flawed with the testing>and certification procedures.Bob,I did not have to read any official testing or certifications to know that something was wrong with the AVG months before I started reading unflattering comments about this product. AVG seeemd to be doing its (imperfect) scanning only when I specifically requested a scan. It never 'intercepted' any viruses or T. horses. Since I installed Avast my database gets automatically updated and I never saw a virus which would not have been caught while it was entering my PC. So Avast for me has been like a day/night experience comparing to AVG. Maybe Avast is not perfect but until it fails me I am happy with it. And my PC gets a lot of use since my kids download a lot of music and visit sites where I would never venture.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2