Sign in to follow this  
Guest Keyser Soze

Interesting info for people who use AVG anit-virus software

Avast is also free. Is it better or worse than AVG?Really don't feel like paying for an anti-virus program. Too many coorporations take advantage of people's paranoia. It may be a conspiracy for all I know.If you use a firewall, download all the Windows Updates, steer way clear of M$ Lookout Express and Internet Exploder, and don't download files you don't trust you're fairly safe even with a free anti-virus program. IMO (haven't had a single virus infect my computer in ~5 years).

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest danowat

"And there are a lot of users, myself included, who have been using this free edition for years without any problems or complications and the report holds no special meaning for us either."Yes, AVG has a free version, but its free for a reason, how do you know it is working fine?.Bottom line is I also used to use AVG, but found that on 3 occasions I became infected due to AVG's lax performance.Stick your head in the sand if you like, fact is AVG is about as much good as having no virus protection at all, and its not just yourself you are putting at risk, but by using poor software you are just helping the propergation of viruses and the like, and putting everyone else at risk too."Less attention should be paid to "numbers" and more attention placed upon one's surfing habits and integration of other complimentary software for protection.......there isn't a single product out there....not one; that can perform to the expectations of some PC owners......and that includes those programs that had the fewest "misses" in the heralded virus Bulletin Report."I do agree with you to a point, BUT, there are many, many forms of virus/malware out there that require NO input from the user, in fact just recently a fairly well known freeware groups site was giving out a nasty little virus that automatically downloaded itself to your PC, and if you are unlucky enough to have AVG you would not have known a thing about it.Dan.

Guest danowat

"It may be a conspiracy for all I know."What virus companies making viruses to increase sales?, nah, it could never happen.............or could it :-lolDan.

Guest ponyboy

Just because something is in print does not mean it is factual. And being on the web.... I would cut the validity by 50% more. Statistics can always be skewed to make one product look good and one look bad.I don't trust any report that can't even spell Norton. I used NAV for years, was happy with the results but I could see it did seem to load down my system after getting into flightsimming. Now I have one PC with AVG for several months - happy with the results but I will try a few of the others suggested on one of my other machines.Personally I don't believe there is one "perfect" anti-virus.

Guest Larry_KMSO

I'm using the Czech Rep produced AVAST! free edition anti-virus. So far so good! I used to use Norton's but when Norton said my wife and I had to buy separate expensive licenses each year for each of our two pc's, I said goodby forever. What a hassel to Uninstall. No more Norton's for me.So who out there makes Anti-virus software that's usable from more than one PC at the same IP? Larry

Um Norton doesn't even seem to be included in the report :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest av84fun

<>Actually, on my browser at least, only 10 names appeared, none of which showed a 100% detection rate. clicking on the jpg link brought up the same 10 name table.Regards,Jim

Guest bobsk8

The people that I work with who write complex software programs tell me that what makes Norton slow things down a bit, is what makes it extremely good at protecting your system from viruses, etc.. I guess an analogy would be like removing all the safety mechanisms from an aircraft in hopes that it would fly faster and farther on less fuel. Frankly, I would rather have the protection and lose 0.5 frames per second. By the way, I just shut off Norton virus Protect when I fly, and just leave the Firewall on.

"So you abandoned a security product for another one that you knew was worse simply because it made FS go a bit faster?" Why do you always preface a comment with an insult??? I am really tired of this attitude JW. I removed Norton for the reason I stated. I installed AVG because, AT THE TIME, it seemed a reasonable option. Now, that I have more data, (thanks to the people here) I will obviously switch. Mike

Which OS is this table for? Grisoft is flying both the ICSA and virus Bulletin 100% logo for Feb 2005 on its site, so there appears to be more to this story.I've sent a link to this thread to Grisoft for comment as well.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Avast is a very good Program IMHO, and is FREE for Home use. That is what I use, and I feel it is adequate for my needs. YMMV.You can get it here:http://avast.com/eng/down_home.htmlDan,Do you have a link to that data, as it should be listed here so others can view it, or search out their software to compare with how virus Bulletin does their rankings.virus Bulletin also does their platform rankings inremittently.For example Avast for Windows NT received a 100% Pass rating for February 2005, as listed here:http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/pro...s.xml?avist.xmlNow, XP for Avast was last tested in June of 2004, and VB failed them then. I think most of them have failed at one time or another, not 100% sure of that though.But if Avast received a 100% in Windows NT, what were the four you alluded to in your first post that passed with 100% for February, and on what platforms?Thanks for posting this. I ceased using AVG about a year or so ago, as I did read about it missing things.Folks should also be made aware of a very good (IMHO), on-line scanner made by Panda Software. You can scan your system here for FREE:http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co...n_principal.htmFolks should bookmark that link for future use so you know where to find it. It is also linked on Panda's front page lower left column.One more addition, if you read this page:http://www.virusbtn.com/magazine/articles/.../2005/02_01.xmlIt says a lot about the MS new Spy ware program, in comparison to Ad-Aware, & Spybot Search and Destroy. (I've been using SS&D myself.) I did run a scan with MS, and it found nothing on mine, but YMMV, but it says Ad-aware has only a 25% detection rate on start page and search page hijackers. I haven't used that program in quite a while, and most likely won't return to it either.MS SPyware is beta and is also Free and can be downloaded here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=enOne more note that not many are aware of, MS released in January a Malicious software tool that can be found here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=enOn-line version here:http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspxHope this helps,JoeJOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

After long use of AVG (I suspected it was a substandard antivirus program) I switched to AVAST - also free but so much better. Since I switched to Avast not a single infection occurred.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest GCBarni

"Yes, AVG has a free version, but its free for a reason, how do you know it is working fine?"They began AVG as free program initially. As with many such software producers, beginning as freeware is quite common and usually after the product has a proven track record, commercial versions arise. AVG rewarded their loyal users/testers by retaining a free version, which doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the commercial version, but is still regarded as effective. There is nothing sinister about their free version and it demonstrates their dedication to protecting the WWW by providing a product that _everyone_ can afford. Notice once more that the manufacturers of the programs which 'passed' the so-called tests do not follow Grisoft's example. I know it is working because on the rare occassion when a "bad" *.exe comes disguised, AVG alerts me and deals with the file. "Bottom line is I also used to use AVG, but found that on 3 occasions I became infected due to AVG's lax performance."Please quote the circumstances and file names that AVG missed. I'm quite certain that Grisoft would be extremely anxious to hear about them as well."Stick your head in the sand if you like, fact is AVG is about as much good as having no virus protection at all, and its not just yourself you are putting at risk, but by using poor software you are just helping the propergation of viruses and the like, and putting everyone else at risk too."The assumption here of course, being that using AVG is like having no pretection at all. The only fact you have for that assertion is the numbers from the report......hardly a given.... and some personal experience that may or may not have been directly the fault of AVG. And as for your suggestion that I am contributing to the propagation, I take offense and umbrage......no one with that attitude would bother entering into this discusion in the first place nor mention the use of other tools and ethics that _should be used in conjunction with an antivirus program_ as I have done earlier and in past messages in this and other forums; in other words, Sir, I do give a ####!! "I do agree with you to a point, BUT, there are many, many forms of virus/malware out there that require NO input from the user, in fact just recently a fairly well known freeware groups site was giving out a nasty little virus that automatically downloaded itself to your PC, and if you are unlucky enough to have AVG you would not have known a thing about it."Dan, you've just provided another example of what I've been saying all along! Not AVG, nor _any_ other program is capable of doing what you suggest.....not even the most recent update can prevent it all. Viruses do come in many guises, but they need to be actioned before they do their "thing". The moment you attempt to 'open' said attachment or file, whatever antivirus program you use should...operative word....should detect the hazard. If it's _not_ a virus, in the purest sense of the word 'virus', then blaming a program like AVG for detection failure is ridiculous and counter-productive. Merely downloading an infected file to your harddrive is not in and of itself necessarily going to cause problems and no program would necessarily detect that particular action. Can you please quote the name of the "nasty little virus that automatically downloaded itself" mentioned above? Finally, no matter which antivirus program you decide upon, at the end of the day it is 'You' who has to take responsibility for prevention; don't rely on one piece of software alone. And don't forget that a virus is only one instance of malware....there are others and because they each have different methods of entry, it becomes incumbent to utilize other frequently updated tools such as firewalls, routers, anti-trojan, anti spyware, etc. and not _just_ an antivirus program.

Jim, The author uploaded the jpg to avsim, so I asked him for a link in my post below. That way we can see the data, and read about others as well.Hope This helps,Joe JOIN The AVSIM RTW RACE FLIGHT TEAM****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

which makes me wonder. Did they pay for it to make the rest look bad and failed or were they so bad that they fell off the scale? :)