Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Night Environment vanishing in proximity to plane

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this phenomenon - NE not displaying in the area closest to the plane.

2017-8-13_22-49-50-727.png

Ignore EGCC to the right of the picture - NE doesn't overlay any airports. I'd just taken off in a default Maule, so not busting Mach 1. I was flying at about 2500 feet or so.You can see the area where NE was not being displayed, yet it works perfectly fine outside that area. The phenomenon did go away then reappear again. It must be a performance issue on my rig, but it's like a reverse LOD. I do like to switch to external views now and again and pan around.The scenery is VFR Real photoreal England and Manchester airport is the excellent & FPS friendly UK2000 product. Any ideas please?

I could turn off the lighting splash map, and or disable the photoscenery.....

Thing is I bought this via Aerosoft, version 1.7 ... not expecting any help from that quarter.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi Kevin.... 
just goofing Mark :wub:
do you know how to clear you DX cache?
i believe once you flush your DX cache, all should be fine after that :sleep:

ooh i forgot its NE!!!
it must a be a higher LOD nightmap there,
yes please try to disable the photoreal nightmap layer (if possible) so they don't compete,
i believe with UK2000 you can do that, though am not sure of the file naming Gary used in his latest work there ,

Thanks Chris. UK2000 is only for the airport environs isn't it? I was getting this over the VFR Real product...

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Gray and myself had several powwow's to ensure we are familiar with each others work,
on UK2000 you should be able to switch those nightmap off (they do have small Photoreal for the immediate surrounding)

VFR real im not familiar with, they have to use a nightmap with their work somewhere,
if they were clever they separated their day and night bgl's to allow NE to take over the night in their Photoreal,

try to email them and ask how to integrate NE with their work, its possible they already have the answer,

• Upvote 1

Looking in the directory - there's no differentiation of bgls, they're all in one folder, nothing obvious with the filenames either. I could try emailing Just Flight.

The thing is the phenomenon was not constant, it came and went which leads me to think it's a PC issue.

Thanks Chris!

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

not necessarily Mark!
they most likely use different resolution in different areas,
if you check during day time you could prob spot the difference in resolution,
or if you load bgls to TMFViewer you could easily see the exact LOD it is sampled at,

if this is the case they must have not separated night from day bgl;
in this case day LOD's will carry onto the night layer LOD's (which is simply a resource waste to load a LOD16 night map!),

• Upvote 1

Not representative of fault finding by any means, I haven't messed with any config settings etc.but I just took off from Manchester again earlier this evening with a POSKY 744. Even when doing 250 knots I could not get the black hole to repeat. And at 12000 feet at 300 knots the NE was great heading NW to Blackpool and then up the coast to the lakes!

I'll live with it and stay flying for now. I'll try a test from Heathrow (UK2000 FREE version). It'll bog my system down thanks to the prime meridian rather than Gary's excellent add-ons.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

It may be to do with hanging around low & slow with the Maule, rather than low ish and fast with the Boeing. Not sure.

I'll try again some time.

As per my previous post, I did try from Heathrow in the 744 and heading east to overfly London City airport. I was getting pauses and stutters, but not once did NE exhibit an "exclusion zone". Once I sighted France I realised I should buy Black Marble LOL!

Mark Robinson

Had another try, but this time with the Maule and default Cessna. It's actually NE's splash map which is disappearing - the lights themselves are still there. I'm getting a better feel for what's going on I think.. :)

It's hard to tell at night, but perhaps I'm getting blurries of the photoreal scenery and when it resolves into focus it's overlaying the splash map somehow. 

I must state that NE has the highest priority in my scenery library (no.2) ,apart from world timezones (no.1)

I'll try emailing Just Flight and see if they can shed any light (pun intended!) on the situation.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Hi Mark,
i don't think its blurries thats causing a "perfect crop circle";
it has to be a higher lod photoreal with night layer conflicting there,

can you refresh my memory please; whats your scenery stack atm?
(everything thats currently involved in rendering the scene regardless of position,)

FSX:SE

Night Environment British Isles (priority 2 in the stack)

VFR Real photoreal scenery (scenery and mesh) (this is a really high resolution mesh 9.6m) (priority 63 and 67 respectively - I own all 4 volumes

Freemesh X - but that's superseded by the VFR Real (priority 211)

On the bright side the NE lights are still there :biggrin:

My rig:

Windows 7 64 bit ultimate

i7 950 @3 GHz

24 Gb RAM

2Gb Nvidia GTX 960

I would post a question on your own forum, but I bought this from Aerosoft (version 1.7) so no formal support.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Mark we support Aerosoft customers regardless!
our forums are open for all to register an participate in discussions,

can you uncheck VFR to see what happen when its out of the way?

Will do. All of it including mesh or just the photo texture? I'm away until after the bank holiday now. When I get back I'll register on the forums. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson