Sign in to follow this  
captflyby

Unable to Obtain an IFR Clearance

Prepar3d v4

PMDG 777-200LR/F
Tutorial 1:   VRMM to OMDB IFR FL380

I enter VRMM/Rwy 18 and OMDB into Prepar3D flight planner. Set the day / time

I enter the flight plan into the Captain's CDU of the FMC, just as described in the tutorial.

Then I activate it. Then I execute. Then I save the scenario.

I have P3D-ATC selected, but the only option it gives me is ground.  No IFR clearance. Sub-menus are VFR choices only.

I do not have this problem when flying the Carenado 525 or Phenom 100, but I also only used the P3D flight planner also..

P3D is apparently unaware that I have entered and activated an IFR flight plan in the PMDG FMC.

What did I do wrong in PMDG when entering the FMC data?

Richard Jeffries

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I would think you need to load the flight plan into P3D's flight planner, as it wouldn't recognize anything entered in the FMC.

Unless you have the create and load option in the FMC selected.

Ignore the built in ATC entirely. There's a reason we did not include it in the tutorial. First, it distracts from learning the plane itself. Second, it's just plain awful. Sure, it gives you a basic understanding of ATC, but beyond a primer, it can get you in all kinds of bad habits. Moreover, it's not advanced enough to really handle more realistic add-ons like ours. You can force it to work, but it's really not all that great.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you.  I have been investigating 3rd party ATC products.  Eventually I will use VATSIM or Pilot Edge (limited), but have to learn the plane first.

Richard Jeffries

i think that pilotedge is actually very good to get started with ATC. they have a training program and it forces you to learn the basics quickly. the controllers may chew you out from time to time if your training is not up to snuff, so it's a good motivator - just don't take it personally if it happens to you.

if you listen to their audio samples you can usually hear some beginner hogging the frequency for minutes at a time and subsequently getting an earful from control..!

vatsim is alright but the audio quality is just ridiculous (has it changed in 15 years? when i was a teenager in the early 2000's i remember it sounded just as bad). you can't even hear what controllers are saying because they use such awful encoding.

for serious atc pilotedge is the way to go.

On 15/08/2017 at 1:16 PM, scandinavian13 said:

Ignore the built in ATC entirely. There's a reason we did not include it in the tutorial. First, it distracts from learning the plane itself. Second, it's just plain awful. Sure, it gives you a basic understanding of ATC, but beyond a primer, it can get you in all kinds of bad habits. Moreover, it's not advanced enough to really handle more realistic add-ons like ours. You can force it to work, but it's really not all that great.

That's as maybe, but some, including me, use the built in ATC in P3D and FSX for additional immersion when flying offline. Yes it's not very realistic and it gives strange directiopns for the sake of it, but it's better then nothing. You can always ignore its peculiar instructions.

So for my money, the correct answer to the OP's problem was given by Captain Kevin (surely not his really name?). Not "ignore the built in ATC". PMDG didn't include the ATC in the tutorial but it is mentioned in the introduction manual and creating an ATC flightplan is a feature of the sim.

ki9cAAb.jpg

1 hour ago, kevinh said:

creating an ATC flightplan is a feature of the sim.

I would argue the only reason they did this was to make it available for ASN to capture it.  Anyone that has logged actual IFR hours should be repelled by the default ATC... it is that bad. I know, my opinion but nothing is better.  I have quite an active imagination and even have a controller in my head.

Dan Downs KCRP

14 hours ago, kevinh said:

PMDG didn't include the ATC in the tutorial but it is mentioned in the introduction manual and creating an ATC flightplan is a feature of the sim.

This was done, as Dan mentioned, to enable tools like ASN to pick it up. Any other use is simply taking advantage of a convenience of the true function.

I, personally, think the default ATC is in conflict with the enjoyment and realism of our product: it's not aware of SIDs and STARs (by extension on the latter, your VNAV path gets shot entirely because it has no concept of an Optimized Profile Descent), its vectors are downright awful, and it puts you in terrible phraseology habits.

Kyle Rodgers

5 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

This was done, as Dan mentioned, to enable tools like ASN to pick it up. Any other use is simply taking advantage of a convenience of the true function.

I, personally, think the default ATC is in conflict with the enjoyment and realism of our product: it's not aware of SIDs and STARs (by extension on the latter, your VNAV path gets shot entirely because it has no concept of an Optimized Profile Descent), its vectors are downright awful, and it puts you in terrible phraseology habits.

Fair enough, but regardless of the reason, PMDG added the option to load the flight plan into FSX/P3D so it should work. If someone wants it to work they need help doing so not a lecture on why they shouldn't be using it.

I only use the ATC for departure and arrival. The rest of the flight I ignore it and follow my flight plan. I know it's limitations but it's better than nothing.

• Upvote 2

ki9cAAb.jpg

5 hours ago, kevinh said:

If someone wants it to work they need help doing so not a lecture on why they shouldn't be using it.

WOW!! .. Just Incredible the way you think Kevin!

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

6 hours ago, kevinh said:

If someone wants it to work they need help doing so not a lecture on why they shouldn't be using it.

I made note of why it necessarily conflicts with the realism found in the product. That's it. Let's tone done the hyperbole, please.

Kyle Rodgers

9 hours ago, mario340500 said:

WOW!! .. Just Incredible the way you think Kevin!

Mario,

My thinking is this. A user asks why a documented feature of the product isn't working. Support says you shouldn't use it because it isn't realistic.

Fair enough to comment that the built in ATC is unrealistic (we all know it is but some want to use it despite this), but surely an answer to help the user fix their issue should be given as well?

ki9cAAb.jpg

8 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

I made note of why it necessarily conflicts with the realism found in the product. That's it. Let's tone done the hyperbole, please.

No more hyperbole from me. I honestly don't believe using the built in ATC detracts from the realism of PMDG's brilliant products. Any more than bad default scenery does.

ki9cAAb.jpg