Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

Help with taxi speed

Is there a way to control the taxi speed of this bird?  I am finding that I have to ride the brakes constantly to control speed.  I can easily taxi over 30 knots if I don't apply brakes!  Is there a way to increase ground friction to get more reasonable speeds?

Thanks for your help!

Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

No need to change the friction. At low weight a high performance jet like the Phenom 300 can easily exceed 30kts at idle thrust.

That's why many of these biz jets use idle reverse to control taxi speed. Unfortunately the 300 doesn't have thrust reversers so you have to use the brakes.

IRL it's important that you don't ride the brakes!  Normal procedure is to let the plane accelerate to a maximum of 30kts, reduce the speed to 5-10kts and let her accelerate again.

That's the only way to keep the temperature at an acceptable level.

The way I hold down taxi speed (for this commercial aircraft and almost every aircraft developed for FS) is to hold down the F1 key during taxi.  If I don't then the brakes will get too hot (especially the PMDG brakes).  Wish they would put this in their manual to hold down the F1 key during taxi to avoid overheating the brakes!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I don't fully understand that one. F1 is per default 'throttle cut' and if your hardware throttle is correctly calibrated, the idle position is identical with the 'throttle cut' position (0%)

Btw, if you don't get 0% at idle you most likely don't get 100% at max throttle either (which is much worse)

FYI, if I set the null zone for the throttle to min in FSX I get only a 1%-99% range.

I have to manually select 0 in the controls cfg file to get the full 0-100% throttle range. 

In P3D this problem doesn't occur.