Sign in to follow this  
Guest jennifer

FSscene & GE

Guest moonstar

Very cool Peter. Your expedited response is much appreciated!!!! I'll be talking at you soon.

>>GE highlights the faux pricing policy of these other>replacement textures, and the fact that the `regional` release>policy is just bogus. If I had known then what I know now I>might have actually taken the Fscene products to my local>Trading Standards Office as it seems we've been hoodwinked.>AllcottCouldn't have put it better, Allcott. I am still thinking about whether there might be a way to get our money back! Roland

Guest Adverse Yawn

The orig textures are on CD 4.

Guest Adverse Yawn

The FScene autogen patch, made things worse. Yes the trees lined up, but then I get a clump of buildings at a corner of what seems like every field.

Guest allcott

>The orig textures are on CD 4.Open it and extract World.cab to a temporary directory, this will create the default structure WorldSceneryTextureThen COPY all those textures in the TEXTURE folder over to your FS9 WorldSceneryTexture folder. DON'T just copy the folder itself as you may have lots of additional textures for addons installed in your FS folder and you can end up with a lot of grey tiles or objects!The GE installer can be used after that reinstall the GE textures straight over the defaults. This ensures you don't see the jarring breaks between texture tiles or colour changes where another developer has slightly altered the default texture to match their set.Oh and remember it might be an idea to restore the original autogen textures in the FS9Texture folder too! Trees and buildings in GE are designed to work with default textures there too, and the GE installer does NOT change those, although replacement autogen is in the offing to deal with the issue of too many large buildings in the opinion of some folks.Hope this helps!Allcott

Guest allcott

>>>>GE highlights the faux pricing policy of these other>>replacement textures, and the fact that the `regional`>release>>policy is just bogus. If I had known then what I know now I>>might have actually taken the Fscene products to my local>>Trading Standards Office as it seems we've been hoodwinked.>>Allcott>>>Couldn't have put it better, Allcott. I am still thinking>about whether there might be a way to get our money back! >>Roland>Well, I've had them long enough and was happy enough with them before that I don't think that's a goer for me, but I did have a good look at some of those texture sets last night and you know what? I think that in more than one case, only 5 or 6 tiles are actually changed between the various `Regions`! What I don't think many of us had realised (I know I hadn't until GE was released) is that FS changes the `look and feel` by using very few distinct tiles for a given region, just altering the balance between them. In other words, MOST of the textures you buy in each of the FScene products you already have when you bought the first one! You do not get distinctly different sets, despite what the advertsing and marketing suggests. :-erksAnd it's the same with BEV.Perhaps the developers would like to confirm or deny that, as right now it looks like we're being sold and re-sold the same thing, the main thing that changes is the label. :-madShame it takes a new `take` on the texture product from GE to bring this to the simmers attention. I now finally understand what the developers were alluding to in the build up to release over at the Flight 1 forums. All the clues were there, we just weren't picking up on them. I couldn't understand how the GE download could be 5-season complete with worldwide coverage at just 75 megs when the sets from FScene and BEV are much, much larger for the same coverage.Allcott

>textures before installing GE. BUT some of the files that have>been made available for d/l for Fscene also modify the>FS9/Texture folder and the .agn autogen files. If you don't>change those back to default as well you're asking for>trouble!>Is the Fscene Europe fall textures among these files? How do you change these files back to default?

Guest allcott

>>textures before installing GE. BUT some of the files that>have>>been made available for d/l for Fscene also modify the>>FS9/Texture folder and the .agn autogen files. If you don't>>change those back to default as well you're asking>for>>trouble!>>>>Is the Fscene Europe fall textures among these files? How do>you change these files back to default?Only if you've installed the trees and rivers update. Change them back by restoring the backups of the files you changed. Or by getting them off the FS installation disks same as for above.Allcott

>>Perhaps the developers would like to confirm or deny that, as>right now it looks like we're being sold and re-sold the same>thing, the main thing that changes is the label. :-mad>>Allcottand FScene does sell four seasons of Africa textures making people believe they get specific textures for that continent when FS9 does not even use extra texture sets for Africa (and some other areas). Africa landclass uses the US/Canada textures.That means if you install the FScene Africa textures you get Africa textures when flying in the US.......... How about that !!!!!!!!All this only transpired after I've purchased their expensive textures and my feeling is that FScene is deliberatly misleading people. And of course, they do have a strict no refunds policy!Roland

Guest allcott

>>and FScene does sell four seasons of Africa textures making>people believe they get specific textures for that continent>when FS9 does not even use extra texture sets for Africa (and>some other areas). Africa landclass uses the US/Canada>textures.>>That means if you install the FScene Africa textures you get>Africa textures when flying in the US.......... How about that>!!!!!!!!>>All this only transpired after I've purchased their expensive>textures and my feeling is that FScene is deliberatly>misleading people. And of course, they do have a strict no>refunds policy!>>Roland >> >> Yes, that's what I mean. How come this didn't come to light before!? I never realised or I'd never have gone near them in the first place. It's only now the different approach by GE puts things into simple terms that we can all understand. And just why have other developers gone down the same route as FScene when they MUST have known that it was marketing gobbledegook? Did they all think they could get away with the same BS? I mean, I've already spent more on three seasons for BEV USA textures than on the entire GE set. Which has Global coverage - and all five seasons!Allcott

The recent discussions of GE versus other scenery replacement textures have got to be some of the most confusing. So, to clarify: why do you need to manually uninstall FS Scene? Doesn't the install of GE automatically overwrite all the existing texture files?ricardo

Guest Peter Wilding

Hi there ricardoThe reason we suggest you need to unistall FSScene or any other textuer set is we don't know what they have done with the few textuers we don't overwrite. It's not many we don't touch but there are some very good snow tiles that MSFS defaults use on mountains, which we have not been able to improve upon, and we don't touch some airport grass textures and a few other things like runways and streems etc, etc,What we can't be sure of also is some of the 100 series bit maps which FSScene or BEV may have done and the colours we have used are to blend with the defaults.So yes, GE does overwrite everything but it's been tested on a clean default base of ground textures so even a few small odd things could spoil it for the more decening users.For this reason we think it makes more sense to be safe and ensure it's a clean install.

Hi Peter, my problem as related in another thread is that I have heaps of third party stuff in these folders that I don't want to lose. If I roll back to defaults it will be a major hassle to recover the them post GE install and, furthermore if I do mess with the two texture folders post GE install will this creat hassles with GE?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Peter:thanks for the quick and concise answer. I think I'll leave everything as is right now, unless I run into problems, since I only have a handful of FS scene textures installed. ricardo

>>>textures before installing GE. BUT some of the files that>>have>>>been made available for d/l for Fscene also modify the>>>FS9/Texture folder and the .agn autogen files. If you don't>>>change those back to default as well you're asking>>for>>>trouble!>>>>>>>Is the Fscene Europe fall textures among these files? How do>>you change these files back to default?>>Only if you've installed the trees and rivers update. Change>them back by restoring the backups of the files you changed.>Or by getting them off the FS installation disks same as for>above.>I find no update called 'tree' or 'river' on the FScene homepage. There is a autogen fix patch offered. Is this what you mean?