Sign in to follow this  
MartinRex007

Engine sound issues?

Does anyone notice when you advance the throttle's on take off  the engines sounds rev up then they hit a flat spot like they de-accelerate for a couple of seconds then continue to increase. Boy if I was in the real plane and heard that on take off I would be rather concerned!!

Cheers

Martin

I'd be more concerned about the pilot who's abusing the engine ;)

Even with RPM at HIGH, the engine is still not turning at the required 100%. You have to advance the power levers to approx 1/4 travel first to let the engine accelerate and stabilize at 100%.

Once RPM is stable at 100% you can slam the power levers full forward without any surging.

• Upvote 1

Good to know, I'll try that. I suppose I could replace that particular sound file with one from the MU-2 which does a great job modeling the engine sounds?

Thanks - Martin

This has nothing to do with the sound file.  It's the problem of torque/RPM fluctuations in case RPM isn't stabilized before increasing the load on the engine.

Understand, appears I wasn't getting the engines stabilized first at 100% before releasing the brakes. So you want the props full forward on take off, and then pull them back along with the throttles shortly after takeoff? Thanks much better now, no longer hear surging!

Cheers

Martin

No need to pull the power levers back as T/O and MCP rating is identical.  You can reduce RPM to 96% due to noise, but you can leave them at 100% as well.

• Upvote 1

Don' kn ow if this is me or I have something wrong with the endine sound file. From startup to shutdonw they have the same pitch, no matter what the prop or throuttle settings are. Maybe I just need some educdation on this installed Honeywell TPE-331-5-251 single-shaft turbo-prop engine?
Help:huh:

1 hour ago, Tenpin said:

From startup to shutdonw they have the same pitch, no matter what the prop or throuttle settings are. Maybe I just need some educdation on this installed Honeywell TPE-331-5-251 single-shaft turbo-prop engine?

Once a constant speed prop is within the governing range you shouldn't hear any signifcant sound change when changing the throttle/power lever setting.

(For some reason in FSX/P3D this works only with turboprop engines).

The TPE 331 operates between 96%-100% so there's no significant change if you change the propeller RPM either as the operating range is so small.

That's why those engines/props are so horrible noisy on ground IRL as it makes basically no difference if you are taxiing at a low power setting or taking off with full power.