Sign in to follow this  
Guest jennifer

Clarification on the landclass memory leak issue, please

Can someone clarify exactly what the landclass memory leak issue is?I thought it was a landclass file in a scenery folder where there is a texture folder, but have also heard it only is a problem when the texture folder is empty.Flightscenery Rhode Island has 4 landclass files in the scenery folder with a texture folder, and when I move the files to the Landclass folder, most of the scenery does not show up at all... so will this be a memory leak problem if the landclass files are in the scenery folder with a texture folder?Thanks

My understanding is that the problem only exists when the texture folder is empty... you should have no problem if that isn't the case with your scenery.DJ

Guest Tatu

Hi!The LandClass memory leak appears when you have a landclass bgl in a scenery with an empty texture folder. Or a texture folder that does not contain any terrain bmp's.With other words... For a landclass sceneries create a scenery folder WITHOUT a texture folder.Landclass -Scenery <- All LC bgl's here.I don't own the Rhode Island scenery, but it sounds that the phototerrain was done using the "Landclass system". In this case the landclass files call specially named bmp files that are in the Texture folder and no memory leak exists.I have understood that Rhode Island is a beautiful scenery and very well done, why would you like to start removing files or moving them somewhere else?Tatu

Hi there,that's the problem with general statements like "never have a land class file in a scenery folder that has a parallel texture folder": they are well meaning but false.Land class files call land use texture bitmaps, which by default reside in SceneryWorldtexture. If a landclass file is in an add-on scenery folder *without* a parallel texture folder FS will look for and find those textures in SceneryWorldtexture without problems.However, if there is a parellel texture folder, empty or not, then FS will search in that texture folder first. If it finds *all* the bitmaps it needs (classes, variants, and seasons) then things are fine. If even one bmp set is missing then FS will still find the textures in SceneryWorldtexture but at a price: for some reason, FS keeps loading the bitmaps missing from the local texture folder over and over again, until your computer runs out of available memory and shuts down.In other words, the memory "leak" is actually a memory overflow.Now, why would a developer want to have a land class file in a local scenery folder with textures? Because that allows him to provide custom textures (with custom autogen) that will be displayed regardless of what type of global land class textures the user has installed. For example, our Misty Fjords uses this approach to provide a complete set of custom textures and Vancouver+ uses it to provide partial replacements. And Rhode Island may very well use a similar approach in associaion with its photoreal textures. All of these work perfectly fine without any memory overflow problems.Another word of caution: if you're using Flightsim Manager to "find" landclass files be aware that it gives false positives as well as missing some landclass files. My advice: don't fix it until it's broken. Pro-active searches for problems that may or may not exist are almost always doomed.Cheers, Holger

An excellent and much appreciated explanation - Thanks, Holger!DJ

Thank you all for the replies. I wanted to make sure that was not the cause of my out of memory and .dll crash problems. now off to find out what is causing it *pulls hair out*

Guest Tatu

>Thank you all for the replies. I wanted to make sure that was>not the cause of my out of memory and .dll crash problems. now>off to find out what is causing it *pulls hair out** What dll crashes?* The first thing you do is to try to fly in other parts in the world and see if the problem exists everywhere. This way you can find out if it is maybe a local scenery addon that causes your problem.* The problem can also be an addon panel in a plane.* If it happens everywhere all the time with all the planes then the problem is most likely in your Windows settings or drivers. This should give you a hint and maybe reduce some possibilities of the cause of the problem.Tatu

Guest jennifer

Thanks Holger. I realise from your reply that I only had a partial understanding of this subject. . . . a little knowledge ia a dangerous thing!:-)