Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

ENVTEX and ASCA

When ASCA is running in the mode Full Dynamics, it uses it's own textures dynamically from its own texture folders. That's the way it's built. It can only load those textures. Which textures and cloud-models gets loaded, is based on weather data taken from AS16. AS16, is needed to run ASCA in Full Dynamics mode.

ENVTEX is designed to inject its own textures INTO ASCA texture folders.

When ASCA is injecting textures into FSX/P3D, it uses the same texture folders as always, but when ENVTEX has injected textures into ASCA, it instead of using it's own textures, is using ENVTEX textures instead. 

In theory I guess you should be able to replace textures within ASCA's texture folders - and even using REX textures - if you know what kind of textures is used where. Specific REX Cumulus-models/textures should match the specific Cumulus-models/textures, which ASCA is using. Also I'm fairly certain, that REX / ASCA textures are compressed, so you'd have to find a way to extract them and identify them.

Hope that made some sense... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I'm still confused about the difference between Dynamic and Global mode. I use ENVTEX for sky textures via ASCA. I thought Global mode was easier on frame rates? Can you use ENVTEX in either mode? What is the advantages of one over the other? 

Eric 

35 minutes ago, captain420 said:

So generally speaking, I'm assuming that with the latest update of ASCA, the sky colors and cloud textures are better than ENVTEX's?

Why of course! Completely and fantastically better!

Now, ignore what I just said because I am not you.

This whole discussion is amusing - we are talking about the most subjective thing in P3D - what we see and like. Not only are we all different with different tastes, we have different systems and monitors and I'd venture a guess that MOST of the monitors are not properly color calibrated - yet we get post after post asking which is better. Amazing.

I can line up a whole slew of posts stating that ASCA and ENVTEX are the greatest thing ever and I can go into different threads and find a slew stating that REX Soft Clouds and TD are better.

The point is we, each of us, has a preference and each of us has come to that preference by simply trying different things until we get something that pleases US.

As to which is better - sorry folks, that question will NEVER be answered yet I guess it will continue to be asked.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Maybe a QUOTE from the Developer of ENVTEX himself will help people understand that ENVTEX and ASCA integration is for changing SKY TEXTURES ONLY (NOT CLOUDS !!! )

I understand it can look complicated at first sight but it's actually not that much 

First, the "ASCA integration" sky themes are different from those available in the customization screens: 

If you don't use this feature, Envtex will install one of the 11 sky themes, in these 11 sky themes, more than 500 textures are included, which brings a lot of variety within 1 theme.

If you use the ASCA integration feature, then the 60 Envtex themes for ASCA will override the 11 "usual" sky themes. The same number of textures are included in these 60 themes, with less variety within 1 theme (we don't need any variety thanks to the dynamic texture injection).

When you use the ASCA integration feature with:

ASCA + Envtex : ASCA will dynamically inject Envtex AND Asca sky textures, ASCA will use one of all the ASCA and 60 Envtex sky themes depending on weather and location (if you use full dynamics or global automatic settings within ASCA of course)

Envtex textures only: ASCA will dynamically inject Envtex sky textures, ASCA will use one of all the 60 Envtex sky themes depending on weather and location (if you use full dynamics or global automatic settings within ASCA of course)

In both case, if you chose to use Envtex clouds textures, ASCA will override them if you chose to enable "Cloud textures" within ASCA and if you use the "Global Automatic" or "Full Dynamics" setting. If you disabled the ASCA "Cloud textures" then the Envtex clouds textures will be displayed by FS/P3D, but they will not be changing dynamically (At the moment this is not possible but as I read on avsim, it is indeed in our plan, as soon as ASCA allows that).

It's not very easy to explain this clearly, but I hope it helps =)

• Upvote 1

WAT1460.png

Thanks, that clear things up for me. I've been using ASCA in full dynamic mode thinking it would also include ENVTEX's cloud textures as well... so it's only using the sky color textures then. So what mode do you set it in ASCA if you want to use the cloud textures from ENVTEX?

Seems to me I'd have better luck going with Kiwi's freeware sky color texture route with ASCA instead of ENVTEX. 

I thought ASCA+ENVTEX integration included all textures from ENVTEX, clouds, sky colors, etc. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

8 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I'm still confused about the difference between Dynamic and Global mode. I use ENVTEX for sky textures via ASCA. I thought Global mode was easier on frame rates? Can you use ENVTEX in either mode? What is the advantages of one over the other? 

Simply - Global mode uses one (selected) set and ASCA selects the bits based upon the weather. Dynamic does the same but it uses many more sets so the variations are greater. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

21 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Thanks, that clear things up for me. I've been using ASCA in full dynamic mode thinking it would also include ENVTEX's cloud textures as well... so it's only using the sky color textures then. So what mode do you set it in ASCA if you want to use the cloud textures from ENVTEX?

Seems to me I'd have better luck going with Kiwi's freeware sky color texture route with ASCA instead of ENVTEX. 

I thought ASCA+ENVTEX integration included all textures from ENVTEX, clouds, sky colors, etc. 

Once again, I recommend we go STRAIGHT to the developer for an answer.  This is a QUOTE from Damian Clark HIFI Developer >>>>

Hello Paul,

Full Dynamics and Global Automatic work the same for all but "Cloud Textures".

Specific to Cloud Textures: 
For Full Dynamics, each of the ~400 cloud model variants are specifically associated to explicit cloud texture variants. A generic example: Model variant CumulusHumilis48s3 might be associated to "Satin". There are approximately 8 unique cloud texture variants within all associations including the High Performance Hard and High Performance Soft variants, which are reduced-resolution generic soft/hard variants used for overcast clouds per your Overcast Cloud Resolution setting. In this mode, you can have in theory up to 8 different cloud texture variants visible at once depending on the cloud models used in each of the wx cells used within your visible range.

For Global Automatic, only one cloud texture variant (i.e. Satin) is used at a time for all clouds (thus "Global"), but updates throughout your flight as wx conditions change. It changes when the conditions change. For example you may be in a "Fair Wx" profile at departure, but 10 minutes later are in a "Hazy" profile or perhaps a "Rainy" profile. Any time this changes, AS16 will trigger a change, re-selection of wx influenced items, and re-activation of such items.

The wx influence used for Global Automatic cloud selections and the general "Auto" cirrus and sky color selections is based on many factors, not just METAR (air stability, for one).

The wx influence parameters are changed (if desired) within ASCA settings for Wx Influence, by choosing which profiles should be considered for specific variants.

Sky colors: For the Instinctive1-5 sets, 1 is more hazy/desaturated, while 5 is more clear/vibrant. The idea is that clearer or more unstable atmospheres have a certain visual vibrance enhancements to the sky colors.

Hope that helps!

Damian Clark

Blue skies and fair winds,

V Carlo 

WAT1460.png

From the quote above from Damian, "The wx influence used for Global Automatic cloud selections and the general "Auto" cirrus and sky color selections is based on many factors, not just METAR (air stability, for one)."

Does this also apply when in full dynamic mode? 

Eric 

22 minutes ago, B777ER said:

Does this also apply when in full dynamic mode?

Yes it does.

Vic

• Upvote 1

I guess you've heard of "tongue twisters"? I find all this a "brain twister".  After months of trying to figure these associations out, reading the help forum at togoprojects and here, I found the ultimate solution-- I just click a few buttons in this program and a few in this other program and go fly... all the while intending to forget about all the option clicking.

Life is now much simpler, and I can forget about all the opposing views and about how each others statements are incorrect. It's about the same result as turning off the news on radio and tv.   

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

+1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

I had REX HD Overdrive, REX SC, ASCA, ENVTEX... all of them.

And I personally like best AS16 / ASCA / ENVTEX with the thopat preset. But hey, it's about looks and tastes are different. I saw those "freeware screenshots" and don't like them compared to what I get in the sim. But others will feel different about this.

Also, like it was stated: For clouds you can also use REX SC with ASCA, the drawback is that dynamic mode does not work. here is the video for ASCA + REX SC:

The "sky textures" can also be replaced, just uncheck it in ENVTEX / ASCA and use the freeware ones from above.

Long story short: You can combine them all in one way or the other, you just need to be clear about what addon does what and not buy random stuff, throw it at your sim and wonder why nothings working (I have one special user here on my mind :-D)

• Upvote 1

One of the features that I love about ASCA is that you can use Art Tools to add freeware textures, then you can use them in Themes, Global, or Dynamic Modes. Cool!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

There are many offerings and combinations with these products, but at some point I have to enjoy flying.

I have RexTD and ASP4/ASCA. 

I use RexTD for all nonSky and nonCloud textures. I then set ASP4/ASCA to full dynamic and go flying.

I may not have the best "looking" combination to some, but I have a convincing sky/weather environment for when I fly....It looks good to me.

Hopefully, one of these Devs can come up with a "simple" & complete solution instead of this multi-product / fragmented offering that IMO only serves to increase their revenue.

1 hour ago, FlyBaby said:

Hopefully, one of these Devs can come up with a "simple" & complete solution instead of this multi-product / fragmented offering that IMO only serves to increase their revenue.

So we get a "universal" product and then the complaints come in because it's too complicated. Even NOW with having to use several products there are many complaints that EACH product is too complicated, too many options - and you want to combine them all into one?

ROFLMAO!  I sure hope that never happens - we need simpler not more complicated.

FWIW, I run them all at default with a minor change here and there - increase turbulence, faster load time, etc. I use GSalden's preset and I'm good to go.

Vic