Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

THE best of the FSX/P3D versions . But its V4 so why not expect it from the start ? :cool:

I am on SLI GTX 970´s and they do get to work mostly but again i am happy at 25FPS smooth operation even in EGLL with ORBX OPENLCEU and VECTOR and low settings and the NGX offcause.

Now i dream of 11GB Videoram to increase textureload and a CPU to match.

About stutters  - I suspect scenery conflicts as i only have them very very close to landing or takeoff (not all my scenerys offcause  but KSFO HD do trick me) 

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

25 minutes ago, Sumits81 said:

I've got the same setup as you and my performance is great in both- v3 and v4.

Thanks for the confirmation. 

Richard Åsberg

21 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

About stutters  - I suspect scenery conflicts as i only have them very very close to landing or takeoff (not all my scenerys offcause  but KSFO HD do trick me) 

Thanks

Michael Moe

Yeah, those are the least interesting parts of the flight anyway.

:laugh: (kidding)

-Roland

23 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

THE best of the FSX/P3D versions . But its V4 so why not expect it from the start ? :cool:

I am on SLI GTX 970´s and they do get to work mostly but again i am happy at 25FPS smooth operation even in EGLL with ORBX OPENLCEU and VECTOR and low settings and the NGX offcause.

Now i dream of 11GB Videoram to increase textureload and a CPU to match.

Thanks

Michael Moe

I've been thinking of replacing my 980Ti with a 1080Ti but not sure if the improvement would be worth it and if I also would need to replace my CPU to see the full potential of the 1080Ti.

I think for now my current setup will be good enough and from what has been said so far that appears to be the case.

Richard Åsberg

3 minutes ago, sparkie66 said:

Yeah, those are the least interesting parts of the flight anyway.

:laugh: (kidding)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing ☺️

Jokes set aside it sounds great the new version of P3D seems to overall make good use of your hardware resulting in mostly great performance.

Richard Åsberg

So far so good. Looks so good in almost 

40+ FPS with the NGX flying into Simaddons  CYYC  at night with Orbx NRM and Dynamic Lighting active. No FPS drop on landing with all landing and taxi lights on. Plus no crashes so far but probably need to do more extensive testing. Loaded all my old P3d v3 and FSX sceneries and so far I don't see any issues( knock on wood) 

And this is on a non-overclocked 7700k and 1080ti

Just don't go too far right with the autogen settings. Even with a high end system . I keep draw distance at HIGH and all other AG settings at dense. Looks very good and draw distance is satisfactory to me without overloading the sim too much ( which might be cause of some users reporting a lot of autogen popping and slow loading) 

• Upvote 1

Yes.

I haven't be in V3 since V4 came out.

Even with my old system, I have much better performance with a better looking and a better 'feeling' experience.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

There are no justifiable words that could take me back to a 32bit sim.  To not have to worry about whether i can land or not because of possibility of OOM  or install a mega airport in all its glory and not worry its using too much VAS is all the difference in the world. 

I have stutters that im investigating, but strongly believe its due to conflicting scenery or some AI model and even something running externally.  There is no stutters in default p3d v4. 

Also beware of some users who review v4 judging it against v3 by visual means only. Doesnt make sense when there is a whole lot of change under the hood. Performance maybe be quite the same or slightly better, but remember theres a whole lot more going on than what V3 had. Looking out to the horizon that is filled with scenery and not just popping in as you fly is really sweet. 

Is it perfect? of course not. But its a big step forward. Little surprised its taken so long to convert alot of addons but perhaps this is an indication there is a whole lot more going on . 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I fly here ,I fly there, I fly everywhere- 64bit does the tric with a sim the size off 520gig

If you like P3Dv3, I'm sure you'll be happy with v4... it's basically a 64-bit version 3 with increased LOD, more Autogen, and limited dynamic lighting (which still needs some optimization).  I know I'm in the minority; but I returned it on day 58 of the 60 day "trial".  I've just never cared for any version of Prepar3D (and I've really tried to like it).  I just can't get past the lack of a true fullscreen mode and the ugly black water.

13 minutes ago, planechaser said:

So far so good. Looks so good in almost 

40+ FPS with the NGX flying into Simaddons  CYYC  at night with Orbx NRM and Dynamic Lighting active. No FPS drop on landing with all landing and taxi lights on. Plus no crashes so far but probably need to do more extensive testing. Loaded all my old P3d v3 and FSX sceneries and so far I don't see any issues( knock on wood) 

And this is on a non-overclocked 7700k and 1080ti

Just don't go too far right with the autogen settings. Even with a high end system . I keep draw distance at HIGH and all other AG settings at dense. Looks very good and draw distance is satisfactory to me without overloading the sim too much ( which might be cause of some users reporting a lot of autogen popping and slow loading) 

Fact is I never been much of an autogen guy. Since it's still not what is down there IRL but just autogen I rather keep my performance up by keeping autogen down and then enjoy detailed and more realistic airports instead.

6 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Yes.

I haven't be in V3 since V4 came out.

Even with my old system, I have much better performance with a better looking and a better 'feeling' experience.

Sounds great and especially what you say about a better "feeling" which to a certain degree has been lacking in previous versions IMO. 

2 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

There are no justifiable words that could take me back to a 32bit sim.  To not have to worry about whether i can land or not because of possibility of OOM  or install a mega airport in all its glory and not worry its using too much VAS is all the difference in the world. 

I have stutters that im investigating, but strongly believe its due to conflicting scenery or some AI model and even something running externally.  There is no stutters in default p3d v4. 

Also beware of some users who review v4 judging it against v3 by visual means only. Doesnt make sense when there is a whole lot of change under the hood. Performance maybe be quite the same or slightly better, but remember theres a whole lot more going on than what V3 had. Looking out to the horizon that is filled with scenery and not just popping in as you fly is really sweet. 

Is it perfect? of course not. But its a big step forward. Little surprised its taken so long to convert alot of addons but perhaps this is an indication there is a whole lot more going on . 

As for visuals that isn't the most important thing to me to be honest. I think already in P3Dv3 most of the stuff looks really nice.

What I'm more interested in is not having to think of VAS issues etc of course but even more so the improved "feeling" mentioned by some and also seen in the clip above.

One thing about the new lighting system I was slightly disappointed with was how the sun will still cause objects to cast shadows even in overcast conditions.

2 minutes ago, LEFTSEAT said:

The best after 22 years of simming...

That says pretty much everything I guess 😊

Richard Åsberg

I'm absolutely happy with it.  I left v3 installed just in case, but haven't used it once since v4 was released.

I feel like this is the true successor to FSX we were all waiting for.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yes i'm happy ...great performance..

PC Specs: Base: GYGABYTE GA-Z170X G1 Gaming | Memory RAM: 8GB (4GBX2) 3000MHz DDR4 | Hard Drive: 2TB SATA-III 7200RPM HDD | Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Superclocked 6GB GDDR5 | Processor: I7-6700 CPU 4.00GHz | Windows 10 Creator 64 bit Operating System | Operating three Monitor
add ons: ASP4,FS Real Time , Navigraph, My Traffic Professional,PMDG 777x , FSUIPC5,Super Traffic Board!

2 minutes ago, MadDog said:

If you like P3Dv3, I'm sure you'll be happy with v4... it's basically a 64-bit version 3 with increased LOD, more Autogen, and limited dynamic lighting (which still needs some optimization).  I know I'm in the minority; but I returned it on day 58 of the 60 day "trial".  I've just never cared for any version of Prepar3D (and I've really tried to like it).  I just can't get past the lack of a true fullscreen mode and the ugly black water.

I always use windowed mode so that's not a problem for me plus I thought there's always been a full-screen mode by pressing ALT+ENTER.

As for the water I'm quite happy with what I have right now in version 3 and using ENVTEX.

So what is your current platform of choice, XP11?

Richard Åsberg