Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

Overall loving it, OOM  is gone. No need to restart the sim, keep looking at the VAS counter, and refuse to change view in order to save VAS. Very stable sim.

Bad or to be improved: Dynamics light needs some optimizations. Having FPS issue using 3x 1080p monitors at night with dynamics lighting enabled airport like KSFO HD V2. (currently running on a single 1080 TI) 

• Upvote 1

Danny F

KSFO HD2 is the only place that works for me really good with Dynamic Lights.

Others like Justsim LFMN etc. do not work this good. :-(

Overall I'm really happy after making the switch from FSX SE

Two issues

DL needs optimisation particularly with 4 x SSAA

Shadows are really buggy when cloud casting is turned on in options.  With cloud casting on (depending on time of day and position of clouds overhead) if you pan around (inside or outside VC) I'm using EZDOK then the light source and shadows can disappear/reappear, immersion killing.

Thomas Derbyshire

I just switched from v3.4 to v 4 this week and so far I find much improvement.

System: 4790K 4.0GHz, GTX 1070FTW, 16GB RAM, Win 7 pro

The sim runs much smoother on my system at high end airports with ORBX regions ( was getting 45 fps at KSFO HD), scenery extending out much farther.  I keep autogen at a moderate range, along with vegetation.  I do not think I see much higher CPU usage and temps around 60 on air.

I tried dynamic lighting at FSDT KIAH with 737 NGX, that definitely will run your video card to the limit, but it was cool seeing the service vehicle headlights illuminating the ground and the aircraft when they drive up.  I think I will see if I can make 2 separate profiles, one for night and one for day.  I think I will need to dial back a lot more autogen, shodows, etc to use dynamic lighting without maxing the video card.

Stephen Forsgren

Really like P3Dv4 and for the most part everything works great, especially with a really great nearly full suite of ORBX addons and certain payware aircraft.

Kind regards,

Does it make sense replacing a 980Ti with a 1080Ti when replacing P3Dv3 with P3Dv4?

I mainly think of the demanding dynamic lighting etc.

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

Does it make sense replacing a 980Ti with a 1080Ti when replacing P3Dv3 with P3Dv4?

I mainly think of the demanding dynamic lighting etc.

I would think that P3DV4 will run just fine with a 980Ti  :cool:

I run it with a GTX770 and like what I see.

Bert

Quite frankly, I am somewhat disappointed in P3Dv4 since coming over from FSX-SE to be honest.  I guess I am just underwhelmed is all.  I think my expectations were set too high.  I cannot really tell you what my expectation were specifically other than this thing must be great and the user base was very energized in the moment.  I can say that the sim is very stable and smooth which means a lot and the 3PP add-ons are many and very well done.  But at the end of the day, I had all these things in FSX-SE except the dynamic lighting which for me is not very high on my priority list.  I keep using it in order to fly some aircraft I ported over from FSX-SE and I appreciate the fact that most of them were updated for P3Dv4 where they were FSX/P3D compatible.  Nevertheless, I have totally removed FSX-SE, so on with P3Dv4 we go and never to return to FSX-SE.

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I would think that P3DV4 will run just fine with a 980Ti  :cool:

I run it with a GTX770 and like what I see.

I know it will run with my current card 😉

I was more thinking if the performance boost going from a 980Ti to a 1080Ti was big enough in P3Dv4 to justify the cost.

Richard Åsberg

2 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Quite frankly, I am somewhat disappointed in P3Dv4 since coming over from FSX-SE to be honest.  I guess I am just underwhelmed is all.  I think my expectations were set too high.  I cannot really tell you what my expectation were specifically other than this thing must be great and the user base was very energized in the moment.  I can say that the sim is very stable and smooth which means a lot and the 3PP add-ons are many and very well done.  But at the end of the day, I had all these things in FSX-SE except the dynamic lighting which for me is not very high on my priority list.  I keep using it in order to fly some aircraft I ported over from FSX-SE and I appreciate the fact that most of them were updated for P3Dv4 where they were FSX/P3D compatible.  Nevertheless, I have totally removed FSX-SE, so on with P3Dv4 we go and never to return to FSX-SE.

I remember feeling the same way coming from FSX.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I don't really see any difference from V3. I may not understand the technical end, so maybe that's where the improvement is but I don't see much of a difference. I also have to figure out the new structure and update my add ons (again and again and again). The worst thing is that my ai packages don't work either and that's a real let down. I don't think it's worth it to switch, but I did because people are saying that soon the majority of add ons will be only for P3D V4. I also read that the new Flytampa Boston is V4 only. I really feel like I was "forced" into switching by add on developers. Don't hit me, I know I made the decision, but I feel like it should have more visual improvements and features. I would have been happy to just keep V3.

10 minutes ago, bosflo said:

I don't really see any difference from V3. I may not understand the technical end, so maybe that's where the improvement is but I don't see much of a difference. I also have to figure out the new structure and update my add ons (again and again and again). The worst thing is that my ai packages don't work either and that's a real let down. I don't think it's worth it to switch, but I did because people are saying that soon the majority of add ons will be only for P3D V4. I also read that the new Flytampa Boston is V4 only. I really feel like I was "forced" into switching by add on developers. Don't hit me, I know I made the decision, but I feel like it should have more visual improvements and features. I would have been happy to just keep V3.

There are only a few devs producing for V4 only but dont worry they will quickly do backflips if the rent money dries up :ohmy:

ZORAN

@WebMaximus I think the performance gains in P3D will sure be there. But will it be worth the price? Hm.... My 1080ti really shines in 4K. And I can crank up GPU related stuff in P3D. It helps with overcast conditions. Hard choice. I would say: Go for it if it doesn't hurt you too much :-)

I love my 1080ti, but mainly because I also play a lot of other modern games in 4K.

@bosflo Install some ORBX addons, crank up the LOD and set the texture_size_exp and your eyes will drop out compared to v3 :-)

• Upvote 1