Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

Now that P3Dv4 has been out for a while and the most commonly used add-ons have been updated it would be interesting to hear what you guys think about this new version of P3D.

I guess this has been the most anticipated version of P3D yet when we finally got what we all have been wishing for for so long...a 64-bit platform where we no longer need to worry about the notorious VAS issues and where developers now to a much larger degree can work with "free hands" not constantly having to worry about all limitations in previous versions of the platform. Of course the performance still is an issue if you increase the settings and the scenery detail too much but at least we now have a platform capable of things that we could only dream of in previous versions.

Looking in the rear mirror I've always jumped on any new version of both FS and P3D pretty much on day one but this time I figured I would wait a bit to allow the dust to settle. This means I'm still on P3Dv3 and I even played around with XP11 a bit in the meantime but now that most of the add-ons I'm using is available for P3Dv4 it's time for me to decide if it's worth shelling out another bunch of $ on this platform.

So...that takes us back to the initial question in the subject line...are you guys happy with P3Dv4 and do you find it a worthy upgrade?

From what I've read there has been a bit of a mix of good and bad things which I guess is only natural when I new version is released. I've read that the dynamic lighting is a real FPS killer which of course is a very bad thing considering that is one of the parade numbers for this version as I've understood it but I've also read people saying this is the best flight sim platform they've ever used which of course sounds really promising.

Another thing I'm very interested in is if the flight dynamics/model changed in some way. Reason for this is after playing around a bit in XP11 one of the things I really liked over in that corner was the feeling of actually FLYING the aircraft, having to seriously fear bad weather at your destinations etc where it often in FS and P3D has felt like you're going on a track like a train pretty much regardless of current weather conditions etc.

I watched the YouTube clip below and in some sequences it looks to me like the NGX is moving a bit from side to side, up and down and so on just like IRL and I was wondering if this is thanks to the new version of P3D or the new version of the NGX. You see this clearly from 09:00 into the clip on short final into LGSM (amazing scenery and approach BTW!).

Looking forward to your comments guys and how you find this new version of P3D!

Here's the YouTube clip which should start at 09:00 if I copied the link correctly.

Richard Åsberg

Without question, to me, this is the best so far. As with any of them, realistic settings adapted to your hardware is the key. You can overload ANY sim with enough addons, etc.

Using ASP4/ASCA I can tell you I DO fear the weather at destination! The flight models are there but if your settings in your weather are dumbed down or not available, you're not going to get the response. For sure, I get some white knuckled approaches in P3D4 just like I did IRL so to answer your question - 

Yes! I am very happy with P3D4.

Vic

• Upvote 6

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Good: No more VAS problems.

Bad: Some stuttering on complex scenery with lots of textures to load, Still no Airbus.

• Upvote 1

Patrice Dubois

Love P3Dv4!  No looking back for me.

I had a great "wake turbulence" wake-up call when landing the A2A cherokee on left while a 737 was landing just before me on right...nearly augured in!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Now we can run Vector with ALL options set to ON and not worry about OOM or something. 

4 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Love P3Dv4!  No looking back for me.

I had a great "wake turbulence" wake-up call when landing the A2A cherokee on left while a 737 was landing just before me on right...nearly augured in!

Sounds great!

Would you say this is something new now in version 4 and if so do you know /think it's because of the new version of P3D, a new P3Dv4 version of the aircraft or the new P3Dv4 version of Active Sky if that's the wx engine you're using?

Richard Åsberg

11 minutes ago, patrice_bambou said:

Good: No more VAS problems.

Bad: Some stuttering on complex scenery with lots of textures to load, Still no Airbus.

More stuttering than you would get in previous versions with the same scenery and settings?

Richard Åsberg

7 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Now we can run Vector with ALL options set to ON and not worry about OOM or something. 

Yeah, this and being able to fly multiple legs without restarting in between must be one of the single most great improvements! 

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I waited for several weeks and finally bought v4 just last week. It is without a doubt impressive. In every situation, and with every aircraft and Orbx scenery and airport, the visual and performance is better than my experience in P3Dv3. Definitely do not feel like the aircraft are "on rails" , but I haven't had this feeling in any versions of P3D since v2. I am now in the process of installing all of my Orbx airports, in the beta program, one at a time in case there is a problem I know which airport caused it. So far no issues. Some have said that you need a higher capacity PC than in v3, but I have moved all sliders to the right a bit from v3 and still performance is better. Go for it!

• Upvote 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

10 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Sounds great!

Would you say this is something new now in version 4 and if so do you know /think it's because of the new version of P3D, a new P3Dv4 version of the aircraft or the new P3Dv4 version of Active Sky if that's the wx engine you're using?

I think it's a combination of all of these - I do use ActiveSky which has had wake turbulence simulation for a while, but the experience in the new sim, with the A2A aircraft, is really remarkable.

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

4 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

I waited for several weeks and finally bought v4 just last week. It is without a doubt impressive. In every situation, and with every aircraft and Orbx scenery and airport, the visual and performance is better than my experience in P3Dv3. Definitely do not feel like the aircraft are "on rails" , but I haven't had this feeling in any versions of P3D since v2. I am now in the process of installing all of my Orbx airports, in the beta program, one at a time in case there is a problem I know which airport caused it. So far no issues. Some have said that you need a higher capacity PC than in v3, but I have moved all sliders to the right a bit from v3 and still performance is better. Go for it!

Thanks for your input!

I'm on a 6700K @ 4.5GHz and a 980Ti with P3D on it's own partition on a Samsung 960 Pro and 16 GB 3000 MHz DDR4 RAM. This setup gives me OK performance in P3Dv3 running on a 4K screen and also in VR and I hope that will also be the case in P3Dv4.

From what you say where you've been able to even increase some of the settings and still with increased performance that sounds very promising!

Richard Åsberg

3 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I think it's a combination of all of these - I do use ActiveSky which has had wake turbulence simulation for a while, but the experience in the new sim, with the A2A aircraft, is really remarkable.

OK, thanks. Sounds great and exactly what I was hoping for with this new version including all add-ons that have been updated.

Richard Åsberg

17 minutes ago, WebMaximus said:

Thanks for your input!

I'm on a 6700K @ 4.5GHz and a 980Ti with P3D on it's own partition on a Samsung 960 Pro and 16 GB 3000 MHz DDR4 RAM. This setup gives me OK performance in P3Dv3 running on a 4K screen and also in VR and I hope that will also be the case in P3Dv4.

From what you say where you've been able to even increase some of the settings and still with increased performance that sounds very promising!

I've got the same setup as you and my performance is great in both- v3 and v4.