Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Are you happy with P3Dv4?

I did use PTA in P3Dv3 but havent used it yet in V4 . Guess i kind of like the V4 performance. Neverless i might go PTA as well later on but for now i dont need it

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

5 hours ago, zmak said:

Guys rather than endless 'its amazing" comments can you tell us fence sitters exactly in what way v4 is amazing excluding the fact its OOM free.. that's a given

I remember when FSX SE vs FSX came out, there was a whole bunch of side by side videos that highlighted the advantages but so far and I find it strange there has not been one single side by side vid V3 versus V4. We can only assume that there is no difference between the two platforms except the OOM factor.

I dont want to see back slapping posts but more technical posts showing off the exact difference between 32 and 64 bit other than OOMS

The major things are 64bit, adjustable autogen draw distance (nearly to the horizon now), dynamic lighting, and higher texture resolutions among some other lighting tweaks.

There's a ton more under the hood and with performance but as far as eye candy goes, those are the major things you'll notice.

The increased autogen draw distance is very impressive

4 hours ago, swiesma said:

What?!

texture size exp is the single best thing in v4. Sharp ground textures to the horizon. 

Gave it a try, took some screenshots to compare the settings (only used the option in the option screen) and well, there may be a very, very, very slight difference but I seriously won't notice that difference during flights. I do suppose this does come at a cost somehow so I might as well keep it off. I can't see how this very little difference can be the single best thing in v4. Maybe at 10 and 4K? I don't have a 4K monitor.

EDIT Decided to give 10 a try too: no, defenitely not worth it. The difference is hardly noticable. I suppose you need a 4K monitor for this. The loading times are getting insance too so this tweak is gone from SSD. (I should have known better: I am done with tweaks.)

See http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/what_is_new/new_v40.html for what is new in 4.0 -- obviously what is important to one person may not be important to others.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

48 minutes ago, pgde said:

See http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/what_is_new/new_v40.html for what is new in 4.0 -- obviously what is important to one person may not be important to others.

What about this:

New 3D rain/snow system. This feature can be toggled on and off in the UI under Options - Weather (Detailed Precipitation)

Is it any good? Does it hurt performance? Don't we need PrecipitFX anymore?

48 minutes ago, J van E said:

What about this:

New 3D rain/snow system. This feature can be toggled on and off in the UI under Options - Weather (Detailed Precipitation)

Is it any good? Does it hurt performance? Don't we need PrecipitFX anymore?

yes - no - yes.  :biggrin:

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

10 hours ago, vgbaron said:

yes - no - yes.  :biggrin:

Thanks, I will give it a try then! 

I am kind of happy P3D v4. Right now I say I am only kind of happy is because I don't have any add-ons for it yet. I got a new computer yesterday and I just installed P3D v4 (was using FS9 previous) and I don't have the money for add-ons now. So for now I have to use the default stuff. I am sure I will like it more when I start adding add-ons.

PS: The only add-ons I have that work in P3D v4 that I can install now is the UK 2000 Extreme stuff, but I didn't do that yet.