Sign in to follow this  
mikeglaz

Manual landing

The Tutorial doesn't address this (I don't think).  But what would I need to do to manually land the 777?  Obviously I need to turn off auto-pilot.  Anything else to change or keep in mind?

I'd recommend leaving the A/T engaged for the first couple of times; otherwise, airspeed and picture (landing zone not moving close or further away in field of view).  For full stop landing use autobrakes, spoilers and reverse thrust as you normally do.  I always speed time in the local pattern with a new product getting used to it's handling and landing.  Just stay ahead of the airplane.

Dan Downs KCRP

Boeing recommends having the autothrottles on at all times even if the autopilot is off.

But if you like flying like "a real man", turn off the flight director and just fly raw data or even with no data whatsoever. It is good for keeping your skills up. I do find it to be a little difficult to fly precisely without a force feedback yoke, and most reasonably priced yokes are not very good for manual flying, not precise enough (or too sensitive around the center position), but if you don't need to be super precise, it is possible to fly completely manually.

One interesting exercise is to enable various AP modes with the AP turned off and just watch how the flight director works. You can learn a lot about what the aircraft is thinking and doing when you do this. THR (CLB CON) mode and FLCH modes are especially interesting to watch.

Practice, practice, practice! Just remember, there are real world CAPTAINS that still cannot perform a "perfect" landing. Don't use that as an excuse not to know, do your best. :biggrin:

On 8/17/2017 at 5:02 AM, mikeglaz said:

The Tutorial doesn't address this (I don't think).  But what would I need to do to manually land the 777?  Obviously I need to turn off auto-pilot.  Anything else to change or keep in mind?

Use the AP initially, at 500ft call out look outside, fix your aim point at the 1000ft marker (the thick runway marker on FAA runway standard).

disconnect the AP and keep the aim point at a fixed position, maintain roughly 800ft/min Rate of Descent. 

Hold this aprroach attitude until the 40ft call out and after that slowly raise the nose by looking at the end of the runway but try not to level off.

The end result is you raise the nose by about 2deg to reach about 3 deg pitch up on the PFD, the hold this pitch until the main wheels touch down. 

The easiest way to do it is to remember how the outside picture change during flare by doing an autoland first. Then try to replicate it in manual flight. 

And don't keep pitch up in order to try to soften a landing, at around 6-7 deg nose up on a 773ER you scratch the tails. 

ideally you will be touching down at the 1500ft marker from the threshold with a sink rate of <180ft/min

This is how pilots training works in the sim as well during the initial conversion training.