Sign in to follow this  
matthewpow

Dirtier Wings as You Fly

Has anyone every thought of creating some sort of addon/plugin for the NGX in which the longer you fly the specific plane, the wings get dirtier? It could read the .hours file for the specific reg and if somehow it could read any kind of Active Sky file like other addons do to detect the type of weather you were flying in. I'm not sure how complex this would be, specifically the weather part, but I feel it would add an extra point of realism to the aircraft. Just a thought I had tonight.

Matthew Simmons

Yeah, should be a PMDG feature where you go into the maintenance page of the FMC and see an option for A/C wash!!

ice

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Interesting idea. Not sure how feasible it would be though.

Yeah that would be my main concern with this idea. I feel it would be somewhat easy for the hours and without the weather but I also feel it could take thousands of textures to be able to fade and not just jump from clean to it's a 15-year-old plane. The weather I could see being a much harder, somewhat impossible, challenge because it would need to read every type of weather AND it would add more files to the initial number. 

Matthew Simmons

It's been done with some other add-ons, notably some Aerosoft GA aeroplanes which get dead flies splattering on the windscreen as you fly em around and then you have the option to 'wash' the aeroplane with a servicing utility. So it certainly could be done.

I guess you'd need the sim to read the hours and then load in a dirtied up texture for it to happen with an airliner, that could probably be achieved with five or six texture choices, but it might make life a bit of a pain for repainters lol.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 minute ago, Chock said:

but it might make life a bit of a pain for repainters lol.

Yeah the repainters might not like it as much cause they won't be able to customize the wings in one go, but most the time, at least on US airlines because they have no lettering on the wings, all the repainters add is weathering... Making the Japan and China airlines might be a fun job to do though lol.

Matthew Simmons

I don't really see a point to devoting valuable developer time to something like this (although it would be cool) when they could be working on something much cooler, like the -200ER or something different.

14 minutes ago, Milton Waddams said:

I don't really see a point to devoting valuable developer time to something like this (although it would be cool) when they could be working on something much cooler, like the -200ER or something different.

I didn't say I wanted PMDG specifically to do this. I just said it would be cool for a developer to make it. Not PMDG.

Matthew Simmons

9 hours ago, matthewpow said:

I didn't say I wanted PMDG specifically to do this. I just said it would be cool for a developer to make it. Not PMDG.

My bad, then yes it would be very cool. Maybe someone like FSFX.

• Upvote 1

And on that extremely rare flight, the ingestion of a bird through the engine with some interesting fireworks briefly out the back end.

Or even more rare, a cracked windscreen due to bird strike.  Heck, let's throw in the occasional drone strike too, looks like it is going to become a fact of life too in the coming years.

Mark

4 hours ago, mtrainer said:

And on that extremely rare flight, the ingestion of a bird through the engine with some interesting fireworks briefly out the back end.

Or even more rare, a cracked windscreen due to bird strike.  Heck, let's throw in the occasional drone strike too, looks like it is going to become a fact of life too in the coming years.

Yeah with all the new technology, we'll be ingesting mechanical clouds into the engines soon. All joking aside, adding those would be cool, though as you said, very, very rare.

Matthew Simmons