Sign in to follow this  
medic89

Change pop-up short keys

Hello Guys,

since the whole issue with CTD-events after poping up the captains pfd during long haul flights, I have to use the fo pfd pop-up during takeoff and landing. My problem is, I'd like to know, if its possible to change the commands SHIFT + 8 and Shift + 9, so that those keys open the fo side displays instead of the captain ones. Is that possible?

best regards, Phil Tereny

4 hours ago, medic89 said:

since the whole issue with CTD-events after poping up the captains pfd during long haul flights, I have to use the fo pfd pop-up during takeoff and landing. My problem is, I'd like to know, if its possible to change the commands SHIFT + 8 and Shift + 9, so that those keys open the fo side displays instead of the captain ones. Is that possible?

These key commands are simply a behavior of the default sim function to pop out windows in the order they're defined in the config file, I believe. Ideally, they shouldn't be used at all, and, instead, the clickspot should be used (though not in this case, for obvious reasons, unless you want to re-enable it in the PMDG SETUP menus).

What is the reason you need the pop-up on takeoff and landing, though? Why not just use a zoom of 0.7-0.8 temporarily, or just pan down slightly to catch the relevant part of the PFD? In reality, your eyes should be up and out. The PNF (FO in our sim) calls your speeds. You don't really need to be looking in at all. On landing, it's essentially the same. Stabilize your approach early on to get your throttle where it should be, and then the FO calls your height. Close/flare and land.

Kyle Rodgers

11 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

then the FO calls your height.

Does he? Thought it was the GPWS that did that, or is there another setting somewhere that I wasn't aware of.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

12 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

Does he? Thought it was the GPWS that did that, or is there another setting somewhere that I wasn't aware of.

GPWS, FO - either/both. I think in our sim, it's mainly the GPWS. Go back far enough, it was the FO. Main point being: your eyes can be up if you're stabilized. You're hearing your height. You shouldn't be looking at it, and/or looking in. Eyes out.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle,

I use the popup to identify the flight director, the ils/dme indicator etc. und the vc i always use the maximum zoom out. 

Mainly I perform non-visual approaches, so I only look to the pfd and nd until I reach the decision height, then I start to look outside the window (I was told by an instructor, that this is the common procedure).

12 minutes ago, medic89 said:

Mainly I perform non-visual approaches, so I only look to the pfd and nd until I reach the decision height, then I start to look outside the window (I was told by an instructor, that this is the common procedure).

Where are you in the world that is using non-visual approaches so much?

I'm guessing you mean you're using precision-aided visual approaches? In other words, you're using the ILS info to aid your visual approach? If so, your primary focus should still be outside. At no point when you are visual should you be overly-dependent on the information on the displays. The terminal environment is busy. Look up and look out. Perhaps you should clarify with that instructor. If they actually believe that you should have your eyes glued to the instruments when you can see out the window, I would like to have words with them...

In the sim here, too, you should have your eyes up and out. Only reference the instruments on occasion to give you an update on how you're doing. If you can see out the window, you should be looking out the window. This is especially important if you are doing real world flight training. You can pick up quite a few negative habits from flying in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

37 minutes ago, medic89 said:

At my "home airport" for example, visual approaches are not allowed (EDDM).

Ah...EU. Figures.

Everything goes through CFMU, and I don't think visual sep can decrease the mins like it can here in the States

Kyle Rodgers