Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

For people that use both P3D and X-Plane, questions

20 minutes ago, Chock said:

a really good flight planner

PFPX can export flight plans usable by X-Plane and several X-Plane addons.

Regarding the user interface, XP11 has MUCH improved in this regard, and I find several of the default keybindings more logical than in FSX/P3D/FSW. This said, my favorite general interface currently is FSW's.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Yup, but try getting the FMCs and ATC of something like JARDesign's stuff to talk to Goodway or some such and then also working with, for example, the Flight Factors A350 FMC so everything is on the same page, then tell me the flight planning and ATC integration does not need any work to make it as usable and easily suited to airliner operations as is the case with P3D or FSX.

Yes you can jump through all sorts of hoops exporting things back and forth and believe me, I've explored all kinds of things like that in attempts to get some decent flight plans with SIDs and STARs working, and spent quite a bit of cash on XPlane 11 add-ons in the hopes of achieving that too. This is in stark contrast to something like FSX or P3D, where you can export a default flight plan and have it work in pretty much any ATC add-on, or any add-on's FMC with them all working in concert with one another.

I've even had those XPlane flight planners and FMCs say they don't recognise numerous European airports, many of which are major service hubs for large European airlines, including Iberia, Monarch, and Easyjet, so this is not obscure stuff I'm trying to achieve with an outfit that has one clapped out DC-9 flying from some old airfield in the arse end of nowhere, these are major operators flying into and out of major destinations in the European Union, one of them is the flag carrier for Spain for chrissakes.

I genuinely do wish it was not the case, but XPlane is nowhere near as capable compared to the kind of thing you can easily achieve in P3D or FSX with your payware airliners and ATC with something like Pro ATC X. If this wasn't the case I would not be saying it was because I certainly did not buy that A350 and that expanded JAR Design ATC stuff and that flight planner to have it all sitting on my hard disk doing nothing, I wanted to use it and really can't do that as well as I can with stuff in FSX and P3D. And that is a real bummer, because actually landing that A350 on a properly profiled runway in XPlane is far more realistic than it is in P3D, but that's no good to me if ATC and the FMC cannot get me there in the first place because it thinks that Runway 25 at LEAM is a figment of my imagination.

I hope it changes, I really do, because as I say, XPlane is visually amazing, runs great and it has many of the right pieces in place, and I've got some cool payware airliners for it too including a nice CRJ which I had long before that one eventually showed up for P3D lol. I've even got a cool B17G for it, which as everyone knows, no sim should be without, but until it has all of the pieces in place, it remains something I'll only fire up once in a while before once again realising that yup, I was right, it's still not doing what I want.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, MarioDonick said:

And in fact, the waves are 3D now (in contrast to the 2D waves of XP10):

http://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/

(This type of "stormy" sea is not active in XP11, but it could if Laminar polished it a bit).

I think the waves are not 3D yet. The demo presented in devs blog is a glimpse into the future.

Pascal

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Yup, but try getting the FMCs and ATC of something like JARDesign's stuff to talk to Goodway or some such and then also working with, for example, the Flight Factors A350 FMC so everything is on the same page, then tell me the flight planning and ATC integration does not need any work to make it as usable and easily suited to airliner operations as is the case with P3D or FSX.

That was going to be one of my questions...Navdata.  I, personally, don't export much so that might not be a thing so long as everything is talking Navigraph.  More than likely, I'd get a flight plan from Simbrief and enter it into the FMC or GNS.  If I'm flying on VATSIM I'd just copy it from Simbrief. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

6 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Interesting that we cross paths twice on the same day.  Thanks for this.  I'm not so much interested in spins and such as I am in the approach to landing, being moved around...keeping the airplane on path...the air starts shoving you, you adjust it back...shoves you again, etc., etc.  Which default airplane do you think I should try for good flight dynamics?  Might give it a download and try.

When using real world weather, X-Plane introduces turbulence if the METAR reports gusting winds (this is what I noticed). It also models some turbulence when flying inside cumulus clouds. And severe turbulence when flying inside a thunderstorm. As I said, some people complain that the modeled turbulence is a bit too "continuous".

You can try it by yourself by running the demo and setting up a wind layer with some mild turbulence. I think the C172 or the C90 are good default aircrafts to try.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

2 hours ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

That was going to be one of my questions...Navdata.  I, personally, don't export much so that might not be a thing so long as everything is talking Navigraph.  More than likely, I'd get a flight plan from Simbrief and enter it into the FMC or GNS.  If I'm flying on VATSIM I'd just copy it from Simbrief. 

You could try using Simbrief with X-Plane and see if you can export the flightplan in the default C172 GPS or in the default B737 FMC.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

16 minutes ago, Murmur said:

You could try using Simbrief with X-Plane and see if you can export the flightplan in the default C172 GPS or in the default B737 FMC.

You can indeed export from Simbrief in XP format, and place this into the Output/FMS Plans folder in the XP11 root, then open the plan in an instant in the C172's GNS430.

Oh that's another thing @Gregg_Seipp, XP11's default GNS430 and 530 are fantastic; almost at Reality XP level;   Full and accurate Direct-To features, etc.

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Just now, JYW said:

Oh that's another thing @Gregg_Seipp, XP11's default GNS430 and 530 are fantastic; almost at Reality XP level;   Full and accurate Direct-To features, etc.

Wow, well, that's good news!  Did I miss you recommending a good default airplane to try out the FDE?  :D

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

14 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

Wow, well, that's good news!  Did I miss you recommending a good default airplane to try out the FDE?  :D

The XP11 C172 is by far the best 'default' aircraft that's ever come with any sim!  It's really payware level; textures, modelling, features, sounds.  They made it the showcase for their new tech in XP11.  I've never flown any default aircraft in any sim until this one :gaul:

The rest of the default aircraft aren't anywhere near as close (IMHO) so it has to be that one. :)

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

..... a question with no definitive answer, & I think most of the answers you will get are very subjective ......I'm not into P3D V4 yet & my FSX-SE runs smooth stable & so fare is giving me many hours of enjoyment. I'm running XP11 as well and still didn't find my comfort zone with this Sim. IMHO you should define your expectations, define your needs & goals & setup your priorities ( I'm a student Pilot Low and Slow in SoCal so the Sim is a tool for the most) , and you do not need to take a mortgage or re-finance your home  you can put your hand on both, as fare as I know both LR & LM guarantee your satisfaction. 

Cheers

14 hours ago, Chock said:

Yeah, well, but this is not what you said in the beginning. You said a good flight planner is missing. PFPX is a very good one, usable with a lot of aircraft.

I agree that integration of flight planning, AI and ATC is very bad in X-Plane. If other aircraft and ATC are needed, online flying is the only good option.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

16 hours ago, Chock said:

I've even had those XPlane flight planners and FMCs say they don't recognise numerous European airports, many of which are major service hubs for large European airlines, including Iberia, Monarch, and Easyjet, so this is not obscure stuff I'm trying to achieve with an outfit that has one clapped out DC-9 flying from some old airfield in the arse end of nowhere, these are major operators flying into and out of major destinations in the European Union, one of them is the flag carrier for Spain for chrissakes.

Isn't this a navdata issue? If so this is fixed easily by buying a cheap navdata cycle from navigraph or Aerosoft. Also, the A350 isn't to be taken seriously. I have it and although it's fun to fly it around casually I can never complete a "serious" flight with it, like I can with the JAR, IXEG, or Rotate MD-80. The way I understand it, FF outsourced the FMC and flight model to QPAC, who promised to implement SIDs and STARs (features that any FMC should have right off the bat...), but they've gone AWOL. What issues are you having with the JAR? I'm more than able to fly a complete flight with it just like I did in P3D. I use PFPX for planning, build an importable coroute easily by creating a new text file and copy+pasting my route into it (you can export to other planes, but the JAR requires a text file), then go into the FMC and effortlessly put in my SIDs, STARs, perf data, etc, and the plane generally flies it just as it should. The only two issues I've had with the JAR is that it won't accelerate and climb at the same time, and every now and then (once per flight on ~50% of flights) it randomly decides not to follow my pre-planned route so I need to cycle the AP on and off. With more skillfully build planes, like the Flight Factor 757/767, IXEG 737, and Rotate MD80, I've never had this issue. 

Also, I'd like to throw in an alternative opinion on sloped runways. They look awesome and in theory it's a great feature, but I've chosen to turn them off for two reasons:

• At ~30% of the airports I've seen, the mesh is a bit wrong and you'll end up with a runway that's way more bumpy than it would be in real life. Usually, it's not that bad, but occasionally you'll run into some very bizarre looking errors, like areas of the apron where you need to apply 80% power just to get moving, runways that slope off at the end at a very sharp angle, and generally unrealistic looking terrain. Off the top of my head, HECA (Cairo), KSAW (end of runway 19), and KSAN (north apron) will showcase the 'bad' side of sloping runways. I could always use per-airport flattening in WED, but I don't want to have to micro-manage each airport I decide to fly to before I do a flight, and realizing you forgot to add the flatten setting after you land is a disappointing way to end a flight.
  • At some airports, buildings and scenery objects will float if you have sloped runways on. Two examples I can think of are the payware KORD by nimbus and the freeware KATL from the org. 

13 hours ago, JYW said:

The XP11 C172 is by far the best 'default' aircraft that's ever come with any sim!  It's really payware level; textures, modelling, features, sounds.  They made it the showcase for their new tech in XP11.  I've never flown any default aircraft in any sim until this one :gaul:

The rest of the default aircraft aren't anywhere near as close (IMHO) so it has to be that one. :)

Thanks! 

I spent some time looking at various youtube videos yesterday...couldn't get on my sim much so I thought I'd spend time at least doing that.  From what I could see X-Plane seems to have a lot going for it visually and FDEwise.  I noticed that a lot of people do their youtube videos at dusk/dawn/night and it does look great(!) but looks very nice during the day, especially up at altitude where the realistic haze makes it look really nice.  In terms of FDE, just from watching the vids, landing touchdown looked more realistic where landings on the gear looked more realistic...slight bounce on the wheels.  I noted that there wasn't a lot of air movement on final but that may have just been that people were doing their videos in calm wind...a shame if real air movement is effective.  I'm eager to try it out and see what my impressions are. 

I could easily see X-Plane getting a much larger customer base if it does good air movement, they fix some of the issues mentioned by Chock (I can't imagine why they don't address the torque issue after all these years), and get some third-party devs to build some things.  To me, X-plane does have a great deal more out of the box than P3D which needs a great deal replaced before it's appealing...global scenery, navdata, mesh, wx, textures, shaders, etc.)  It's interesting that in many reviews a Carenado airplane is still a Carenado, even in X-Plane.  From what I can see, the number of airplanes with decent systems is, actually, about the same as it is in P3D when you add it up...there aren't that many in P3D either where I limit my flying to PMDG and RealAir (though, there are others)...I'm not much on A2A aircraft (I think their Comanche is their best but I don't want a vintage airplane.) 

I have to install another hard drive and rearrange some things, then I'll give it an install and see how it goes with the default 172.

Gregg Seipp

21 hours ago, Murmur said:

Also, to date I don't know any aircraft for X-P that spins 100% realistically.

Have a look at the Aeorobask Pipistrel Panthera, then after having a look at the youtube real life spin tests.

Not too far off.

Harry Woodrow

5 minutes ago, Gregg_Seipp said:

where I limit my flying to PMDG and RealAir

The closest to PMDG is the IXEG, as for RealAir, Aerobask comes really close.  I use FSGRW and SkymaxPro 4.5 with XP11 and although it's not AS16, it's close enough for me.  I have both P3Dv3.4 and XP11, and I must say that if as real as it gets with GA flying is what you are after, XP11 beats hands down.  With Ortho4XP in PNW, the scenery are way more real than the best of ORBX.  I used to care a lot about high detail airports where ORBX wins in PNW and elsewhere, but the free stuffs in XP11 really are good enough, and beside after take off and landing it's what in the air that counts.  The more I use XP11 the less I touch my P3D.  I also don't have the PC muscle to run P3D without any stutters.  May be next year, when I build a brand new system?  I think you should begin by looking at which plane(s) you like the most and where do you fly the most, then see which sim platform offer you the best combination.  Since I am not a tube flier, the P3D combo does not offer me much.

• Upvote 1

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020