Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

FlightScene Tahiti buggy installer Prepar3D v4

The installer available today at Simmarket for the FlightScene "Tahiti and Society Island" (filename = Flightscene_Tahiti_and_Society_Islands.zip, size 2.50 Gb, 2 689 738 837 bytes 0817 10h00) is buggy. It deletes your SCENERY.CFG and replace it with :

[Area.]
Title=Flightscene Tahiti and Society Islands Objects
Local=flightscene\society_islands
Layer=
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.1]
Title=Flightscene Tahiti and Society Islands Images
Local=flightscene\society_islands_imagery
Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Advice of the day : make backup of crucial Prepar3D v4 files (SIMConfigBackUp is an helpfull tool by the way). I guess the right layers entries should be : 

[Area.204]
Title=Flightscene Tahiti Faa
Local=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\flightscene\ntaa
Layer=204
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.205]
Title=Flightscene Tahiti and Society Islands Objects
Local=flightscene\society_islands
Layer=205
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.206]
Title=Flightscene Tahiti and Society Islands Images
Local=flightscene\society_islands_imagery
Layer=206
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Tahiti seems fine :

36495403681_38acca9a7d_k_d.jpg

Moorea as well :

36464276382_578379a5aa_k_d.jpg

Bora Bora has very light texture (on my config, it could be my setup and my PTA Preset)

36495404231_0b0f6e8a19_k_d.jpg

And Maupiti (under rain) has a awfull runway (mirror) texture. + A duplicate windsock.

36464276822_00d3b77008_k_d.jpg

FlightScene Support forum post : http://www.flightscene.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55&p=256#p254

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

I had a similar problem with the installer. it corrupted my scenery cfg so that P3DV4 would not start. Luckily, i had backed up the scenery cfg. I then added the scenery manually into the scenery library.

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Beware that the installer also puts lines in both your exe.xml and dll.xml files for their autogen-switcher and I honestly do not know if those .xml files are also depending on the correct coding (additional to the wrong entry, they missed that the scenery.cfg needs UTF-8 coding...). Furthermore, the uninstaller does NOT remove those lines out of the .xml files during the uninstallation process (!). The installation of this scenery corrupted my P3Dv4 as well, and I did NOT have a backup scenery.cfg. According to the support, the installer creates a backup copy of the scenery.cfg before overwriting it (at least...), but I have to verify if this solves my issues. Last, the uninstaller also does NOT remove the animan.exe that comes along with the scenery and it does NOT remove the folders from your P3Dv4 folder (at least they are empty).

Basically, the installer AND the uninstaller is a full mess. I wonder how this slipped the tests. But at least the support is fast and friendly and Flightscene will replace the installer as soon as possible.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

A new version has been made available yesterday. Don't ask me for versioning, it seems out of control of the developper ;)

CAUTION : it's far out of issues. So, if you don't know what you do or are not able to backup/restore/manually change .CFG and other P3D files, I highly recommend to stay on stand-by mode. Monitor frequency ;)

If not and for your information : FlightScene64.DLL and Animan.exe are now loaded via the add-on.cfg Prepar3D v4 features and no more via the DLL.XML and EXE.XML. Files are moved from P3D root folder to the FlightScene personal/customized folder. Unfortunately, the Automergeutility-blabla-bla is still there (I'm scare it messes my autogen and every launch). But the worst is that many customers (including me) have the ANIMAN.EXE process crash few seconds/minutes after launched, which removed the building and infrastructure in airport. Free update ? Yes. Usable ? No !

In the editor forum : http://www.flightscene.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Yeah, sounds like a real pain. I'll pass. Their forum is full of problems reported.