Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Server Fund?

Guest Pesawat

Hi guys,New to the board, download often but not really post. However lately i have been observing the extremely slowwww download speeds again going easily from 300kbps+ to a mere 10kbps+. Now I dont know if this has been discussed before but how about having the option to once in a while have a Donation Time. I do NOT mean to make this site a paysite. But this I think will benefit all of use who use this site. Maybe a share from our(users)side a few bucks will keep the AVSIM servers healthy and maybe after a certain time an upgrade to please us again with more stability and speeds. I dont think that from our side it would be that bad since pretty much EVERYTHING on here is free.Just my two Rupiah ;) (i know that is not much)Moh.

We appreciate the thought and the willingness to support AVSIM. We upgrade at least once a year and most recently have upgraded the file library server. The issue is not hardware. We have four servers supporting AVSIM and these are continually monitored for performance. The issue is bandwidth. You do realize that we have over 440,000 members of the library, right? We limit our bandwidth consumption to some 70 megs a second. Sometimes the number of folks downloading outstrip the 70 megs a second and you will see slower downloads. It is not that consistent however. Most days folks see normal download speeds (meaning very high). It is just during "peak" periods with popular files that we see the decrease in performance. The issue with bandwidth is that it is not a "one time" charge, like buying a server. It is a monthly recurring expense that can vary by bandwidth consumption. We limit to 70 megs a second in order to be able to control our monthly expense. Were we to open it up to our full pipe of 100+ megs a second, we'd loose control of our monthly expenses and a single contribution per month would not help us pay the bill. My suggestion; just accept that sometimes downloads will be slow. But, also recognize that they are free.EDIT: And, you can always donate here:http://www.avsim.com/pages/helpus.shtml

Guest panda234

Avsim is generally one of the fasted sites I use, by far. Once in a while it slows down a bit but generally just after a big release or sometimes on a weekend when the weekend flyers are out in full force. For a site this large, with as many files and users as it has, it's amazing that it runs as smooth and as fast as it does. PS. Wasn't going to say this, but I will. I use it as a test site. If I think the 'net is slow I'll go to Avsim. If it's slow, I assume it's the 'net, otherwise it's the site I'm having problems with. I know Tom dosn't want to hear that, hehe. billg

Folks need to monitor these two stats:Number of files downloaded over the last 30 days:http://library.avsim.net/viewstats.php?Graph=fileperiod-30Bandwidth consumed over last 30 days:http://library.avsim.net/viewstats.php?Graph=mbperiod-30That second one is important. You will notice that we are averaging over 500 gigs (one half a terabyte) a day of bandwidth and on some days approaching a terabyte in full. Go look up what that costs. You will be amazed. EDIT: and need I say, you are getting it for free! :)The alternative? Well, we could shut AVSIM down and that way we don't have to listen to complaints about "slow downloads" or put up with petty egos slagging us. In fact, that is becoming a more attractive alternative day by day. My wife would love it!

Guest jon_151

When there is a new releases, something people are anticipated to download, I notice that the library is sure very slow, sometimes I won't be able to download a file, but the key to get something you want is always patient. When I can't download a thing, I'll always wait for hours, even days then when I think I can get a decent download speed, I'll download the files I want, the file will always be there, it's not going to go (unless the file is violating the copyright) and you're not going to feel hopeless (OH! I'm left behind! what do I do !? all those folks posting the screenshot that makes me really want it NOW!) to me if I don't get that very nice files the day it's available or few days on after it's been released, it's okay, I'll wait, I understand the waiting game is tough, but I'll try. Sometimes I endure it by not sitting in front of my PC, I would go somewhere or take a fresh breath, reading some comics/magazines/books.I thanked Avsim very much for their BIG contributions to our hobby.PS: Glad to see another Indonesian here :)

Hey Tom, I would do just about anything to prevent a closing of this site. I don't read the daily paper, I come here. 1st thing in the morning with my java, I come here, lunch (If I am home), I come here, After diner, here...... This is my second home. This IS THE BEST site in the world of flight simulation. There is no better example of the care and kindness that the AVSIM staff has shown me over the years. I really would be at a loss. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate AVSIM since this topic has appeared. By the way, My wife would love it too if there was no AVSIM, but that does not get discussed in my household. Have a good night everyone.