Sign in to follow this  
AOB

Young Pilots wanted

These forums seem to be full of old pharts like me who helped Noah build his ark and have been around since FS was wire frame. How about we have a thread for young players or new players to the hobby? They are the future just as we (well most of we anyway) believe FSW is the future. Should pay more attention to them I reckon. So lets hear it from them. What gear do they use, where do they like to fly etc.

I am 56 years young. Been simming since Psion Flight Simulator, 1982.

-eelis-

4 hours ago, eelis said:

I am 56 years young. Been simming since Psion Flight Simulator, 1982.

-eelis-

Me too on my Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48ko memory + Microdrive (I still have it as well as Psion Flight Simulator)...;-)

Regards,

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

You won't get many young ones on AVSIM full stop. It is mostly adults although the general attitude on this site is pretty school yard a lot of the time!

There is also a pretty elitist and clichey attitude in a lot of the forums and I've seen plenty of people ask questions to be shot down in flames by someone who likes to wave it about..

There are nice, generous and very helpful people on AVSIM but it does have a rather unfriendly reputation on more than one forum out there.

You are more likely to find younger or first time users of fsw on the steam forums or the dtg forums as you only progress to AVSIM once you are looking to go a bit deeper in the sim genre.

Obviously there are exceptions to the above statements!

Chris

9 hours ago, eelis said:

Psion Flight Simulator, 1982.

Ah, what nostalgic memories. Whoever envisaged we'd get to where we are today?

Well... not to hijack the thread... but the people I need to reach are here, so... forgive me.

Like all of you, I've been in flight sim for many-a-moon (30 years).  For the past 12 years or so I've been involved in flying shared cockpit in commercial airliners on VATSIM, which I can tell you is so much fun that it's difficult to convey with mere words (at least for me) and is just an absolutely incredible, truly as real as it gets (in desktop flight sim) experience.

However (had to be a "but"), being rather heavily involved in the shared cockpit genre, I can tell you that most who are attracted to this are under the age of 18.  I'm 55, and obviously don't have much in common with someone who's walnuts haven't dropped yet and who's view on world events is limited to the who's who line up at school (just a bit of humor, no offense intended).  

Anyway, since most of us are wrinkled old farts, I'd love to hear your opinions as to why more in our age group aren't interested in shared cockpit.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

51 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

more in our age group aren't interested in shared cockpit.

I'd love to do this if only I knew how. And the overriding time factors of time zones, free time, etc, etc.

Well, I'm one of the "old" guys I guess since I started simming in my early teens back in 1984 using Sublogic's flight simulator II on my commodore 64, however I believe the views, opinions, suggestions, etc. of folks like myself to be just as valid as any "young" simmer.  After all, those like myself have the experience and perspective regarding all things flightsim that younger simmers simply don't have, and younger folks may have an idea that doesn't occur to those older and more experienced.  We need input and participation by everyone regardless of age.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Welcome Warriorpilot. Tell us more about this ATP. What is it and is there anything anyone in this community here can assist you with?

Loved your short video clip and the music too thanks for that.

The younger communities of flightsimmers are developing around Steam, Facebook, and Reddit. I am a member of many flightsim themed Facebook groups with extremely high participation by young people 25 yrs old or less.

It always surprises me on forums like Avsim, FlightSim, and Sim-Outhouse how much the impact of DTG/Steam has been underestimated regards growing the community. FSX-SE, DTG Flight School and now FSW are bringing thousands of new (and mostly young) people into the hobby.

1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

The younger communities of flightsimmers are developing around Steam, Facebook, and Reddit. I am a member of many flightsim themed Facebook groups with extremely high participation by young people 25 yrs old or less.

It always surprises me on forums like Avsim, FlightSim, and Sim-Outhouse how much the impact of DTG/Steam has been underestimated regards growing the community. FSX-SE, DTG Flight School and now FSW are bringing thousands of new (and mostly young) people into the hobby.

I agree. Don't think you are going to see them here and on the older sim forums. They want to be around people closer to their age I imagine and do not blame them at all. Where ever they are, they don't have to listen to people saying, MULTIPLAYER, that's not real simulation, or teaching and learning through communication through people their age group. Face it on here, most of the time all you see is arguing about something. We can not even enjoy a post here without someone coming and slamming Flight Sim World. Why would they want to be a part of that. A fine example we are for the younger generation? Me included at times! Steam is full of the younger generation, and they aren't complaining, I want my sim in a box, and I don't want no stinking Steam DLC, and I have to have jet's and real weather engine now, or I am gone cry, wah, wah, wah...and I'll take my ball and go home, kind of stuff we ( and me ) post at times! Geez everybody just chill and enjoy life and simulation, and ...

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

and ...you know that they want fighter jet's so they can shoot each other down, and I hope a 3rd party developer gives it to them in FSW. If that is possible with the core engine! That will really show us old fart's...once again me included :) Peace out!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

Just now, Learjet777 said:

and ...you know that they want fighter jet's so they can shoot each other down, and I hope a 3rd party developer gives it to them in FSW. If that is possible with the core engine! That will really show us old fart's...once again me included :) Peace out!

That is a good point about the military add-ons. The community to which I most closely identify is virtual US Navy aviation. Our little groups and squadrons have both young and old interacting and flying together.