Sign in to follow this  
strider1

The Reality Expansion Pack for default Cessna 172SP

Looks quite nice, to be honest. I haven't flown a 172 much in a sim since A2A released theirs in FSX, but this is quite tempting.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I like it very much! It uses the default C172 and applies the REP treatment to it.
I've loved all my REP planes but may favourite has been the C210 up till now. Now I have 2 favourites lol.

As REP need an existing XP11 capable aircraft and the fact they haven't done a turboprop yet ... I'm hoping the next module will be the C208!

Enjoy your REP modules everyone!:)

I've got it - it's really nice!  Adds a lot and takes the wonderfully modelled and textured default C172 to the level of a true payware plane. Highlights for me are how the plane handles and feels on approach now, and the additional dynamic sounds linked to FDE.

Be very careful to follow the installation instructions - you must make a copy of the C172 aircraft folder first, and place the REP folder in that copy.  You must make no changes at all to the original C172 folder - otherwise next time you load X-Plane it tells you that the C172 is missing and you need to run the XP11 updater/installer.

• Upvote 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

21 hours ago, JYW said:

I've got it - it's really nice!  Adds a lot and takes the wonderfully modelled and textured default C172 to the level of a true payware plane. Highlights for me are how the plane handles and feels on approach now, and the additional dynamic sounds linked to FDE.

Be very careful to follow the installation instructions - you must make a copy of the C172 aircraft folder first, and place the REP folder in that copy.  You must make no changes at all to the original C172 folder - otherwise next time you load X-Plane it tells you that the C172 is missing and you need to run the XP11 updater/installer.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up, it would be for a lot of people (including me) to simply rush and put everything in the default folder as for the other REPs :)

Yeah, it's great to have a study-level GA aircraft in X-Plane 11, at last!

Tom Ross

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, Redglyph said:

Ah, thanks for the heads-up, it would be for a lot of people (including me) to simply rush and put everything in the default folder as for the other REPs :)

Yeah, it's great to have a study-level GA aircraft in X-Plane 11, at last!

Why is this better than the AirFoillabs C172?

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

6 hours ago, tgcbraun said:

Why is this better than the AirFoillabs C172?

Right, the AFL C172SP. It was a big letdown.

It was never finished to start with, and this has been a very long time for a basic GA plane (and it wasn't mentioned as beta when I bought it months ago). There are still a lot of issues, for example it consumes too much oil, you can't even steer the front gear wheel, controls regularly reset, it messes with X-Plane sound and visual settings, and so on, and so on. Whereas the REP is finished, stable, and on the beautiful stock C172SP. No fuss and promises for more than one year, it's divulged and released when it's working, pretty much like A2A's add-ons.

Failures are implemented, they are simply not working on AFL's. As part of the training, it's really a must, you want to drill that part until it becomes second nature.

If you are using X-Camera for Track-IR, you can do the walk-around with the REP, because it uses the API correctly. With AFL's, it's not working and sometimes you have to fiddle with in/out views to even be able to interact with the cockpit.

I won't even talk about the installation and module manager of AFL's, nor its home-made layers. They should really focus on what they are supposed to be good at, and stop re-inventing what is working perfectly well in the default X-Plane API. Perhaps they would have finished by now, and perhaps it would be working.

And finally, the REP's developers exist, they communicate, answer to questions and help out when someone has a problem.

• Upvote 2

Tom Ross

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

4 hours ago, Redglyph said:

If you are using X-Camera for Track-IR, you can do the walk-around with the REP, because it uses the API correctly. With AFL's, it's not working and sometimes you have to fiddle with in/out views to even be able to interact with the cockpit.

Yes, I struggled for many hours trying to get the Airfoillabs 172's walkaround systems and 'step outside' mode working, before realizing that it just wasn't compatible with TrackIR!

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Sorry for the quite negative post above, as you can guess it was a big disappointment and a source of frustration. I may have stressed the point a little further and harder than I first meant ;)

In any case, I'm over the moon Simcoders offer a better alternative! Now I'll just have to wait for my favourite fspilotshop to make it available. :)

Yes, I struggled for many hours trying to get the Airfoillabs 172's walkaround systems and 'step outside' mode working, before realizing that it just wasn't compatible with TrackIR!

Perhaps it could work by using X-Camera and disabling it, since this great tool allows to map the enable/disable to a key (or more simply by the add-on menu access). I haven't tried though.

Tom Ross