Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

Global Fler Route

Guest Terry_ABQ

Is there an official list of the way points the Global Flyer used? Something we could use to build our own flight plan and see if we could complete the trip?Terry

Hi,I was wondering the same thing, as I downloaded the GlobalFlyer and took her up for a spin. Pretty cool little plane and FREEWARE too.Regards,JoeFrom their Route Page:http://www.globalflyer.com/MissionControl/...ute_details.jspUnited States:Salina KSChicago ILNorthbrook ILCanada:North BayStephenville (Newfoundland)Madeira Islands:Porto SantoMorocco:CasablancaFezAlgeriaLibyaEgpyt:LuxorSaudi Arabia:GassimBahrainSharjahPakistanIndia:BhopalKolkata (Calcutta)BangladeshChittagongMyanmarChina:KunmingWuhanShanghaiJapan:Nagasaki(North of) HonoluluUnited States of AmericaSanta Catalina CAPeach Springs AZTuba City AZAlamosa COGarden City KSSalina KS****************Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Terry_ABQ

Joe,ThanksTerry

Guest GCBarni

Before I saw the results of the "final" route as suggested in this thread today, using FS flight planner, I had plotted the one mentioned initially, whereby Steve was to exit Newfoundland and head for Ireland, the UK, France, Italy, Greece, Egypt, and then Saudi Arabia, etc., towards India, China and Nagasaki, Japan. From Japan, it was Hawaii, and then head for Salina.The distance totalled less than the magic figure usually given as 23,000 + miles to qualify as round-the-world. I assumed this figure is in statute miles, so I converterd the flightsim mileage which is nautical, and it was still too low to qualify.Having seen the now published trip, I plotted it in FS this morning and it too, comes up short of the figure required. In order to reach the figure sought, I had to extend the route from Nagasaki further south to Kosrea (PTSA) in Micronesia and then onto the Marshall Islands before heading northeast to pass north of Honolulu and on toward Santa Catalina Island, etc. In conclusion, my 'new' route now totals 23,175.8 statute miles and overall, seems to follow pretty closely to what Steve must have flown except for my excursion to Micronesia.BTW, using FS flight planner required three separate plans in order to force an easterly route and allow for pinpoint editing to ensure the correct pathes.

Guest Terry_ABQ

Interesting note on the FS flight planner. Terry

Guest dcreeves_2000

I have posted a set of custom waypoints as an FS2004 flightplan in the file library today, with the data taken from the GPS tracking data itself. It's as accurate as I can get without the real data (which I have asked for and not got). I digitised it from the post-flight analysis on the Solarmetrics webpage. There is leeway for winds anyway ;) but the total distance is over 20000 nm, a record in anyone's book :)Regards,Dave

The circumferance around the equator should be approximately 21,600nm if the trivia from groundschool was correct, on minute of longitude at the equator should equal roughly 1nm. 60 minutes to a degree, 360 degrees should equal 21,600nm. I think in statute miles it was supposed to be 24,000 some miles in circumferance.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest dcreeves_2000

From the website:"The FAI's rules state that a record attempt like this must start and finish at the same airfield and cross all meridians of the globe. What's more the course must not be less than the very precise figure of 36,787.559 kilometres (around 23,000 miles) which is equal in length to the Tropic of Cancer." which converts to 19,863 nautical miles. So the route I put up is just a little more than this.

Guest GCBarni

Thanks for making this available to the rest of us. I checked this out yesterday by flying the plan at 16X speed. After the 'Sharja' waypoint, your plan has the craft doubling back for about 50 miles before carrying on towards Pakistan/India. In your plan, this would be the 'User.47' and 'User.48' waypoints. Is this based upon the info you were dealing with, or a glitch perhaps, within the conversion from the data given to whatever you needed to create the plan for FS useage? Surely, Steve wouldn't have made this maneuver in his flight, would he?To 'fix' it, I just altered the line for User.48 to read the same as for User.47 and this eliminated the double-back during flight in FS.

Guest dcreeves_2000

Hi, and you're welcome to the route. I'm sorry about the glitch - I thought I'd got most of them out! That one slipped under the radar because the latitude is identical and waypoints 48 and 49 got reversed somehow. There are a few minor zig zags in the path over newfoundland too, and I think all of these are due to the digitising process I used which means the route is probably accurate only to within about half a degree lat/long (or about 30 miles) as that's the pixel resolution of the graph I got the data from. But you're right, if you see something like that, just use the GPS to skip to the next waypoint, or switch the coordinates for waypoints 48 and 49 in the plan file itself.Dave

The flight is also supposed to cross both Tropics as well, correct?----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Guest GCBarni

Thanks for the reply, Dave.