Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

I'm getting a new computer

In the past 2 or 2 weeks I have been getting Windows 7 errors messages and even had the dreaded blue screen crash 3 days ago! So instead of fixing this computer I asked my friend to build me a new one. When I get the new computer I am going to hopefully re-install FS9, but I am also going to install P3D v4. I figured I can use FS9 with my full AI while building P3D v4 AI (a lot of AI doesn't work in P3D v4 yet) and scenery. I just hope I will be able to install FS9 on the new computer, because if not I will have to give up on FS9 and stick solely with P3D.

I am doing this because I am getting tired of fixing this old computer. Last month I had a hard drive failure and around March or April I had a video card failure. Now I am Windows 7 error messages. It is time for a new computer!

You are like me, I have FS9 loaded to the hilt with AI.  With FSX I just fly GA VFR with no AI, mostly ultralights, Light Sport and Carenado's suite of aircraft, especially the Malibu Mirage.  My favorite add-on for FS9 is JustFlight's Duchess followed by the Robinson R44 Copter.  Although my rig is 8 years old (running Vista, which Microsoft no longer supports), FS9 and FSX run well and I don't get bluescreens or lockups.  Eventually I will buy a new rig, but only if I figure out a way to migrate FS9 and FSX over.  I like the stability of my rig.

John

Sweet.Will it be Windows 10. I think FS9 should work there.

nebojsa

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, JAT said:

Sweet.Will it be Windows 10. I think FS9 should work there.

nebojsa

Yes it will be Windows 0.

8 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Yes it will be Windows 0.

Yes, me thinks that Windows Zero was the best version of the OS that Microsoft ever released!!!!

Dijvid

1 hour ago, vector said:

Yes, me thinks that Windows Zero was the best version of the OS that Microsoft ever released!!!!

Dijvid

Good catch! I would not haven't noticed that mistake if you didn't bring it up. :laugh:

Oh my, so many flavors of Windows.  I remember supporting Windows 3.11 at my hotel back in the 90's.  I have met and spoken to Bill Gates, met him back in 1989 when he visited my hotel.  He was such a humble guest, we VIP'd him but he shooed away the attention.  He drove a 60's vintage classic car, talked with my staff, just was the perfect gentleman back then.  His visit was freaky because the big stock market crash happened the next day and Microsoft went down 250M dollars.  I thought about him, but he managed that like a champ and recovered from it.  His visit was memorable, two computer geeks face to face.

I got a free copy of VB from Microsoft, that's how I started writing flightsim add-ons like Landclass Assistant.  I kept upgrading it thru the years and stayed in touch with Microsoft all those years.  They offered me work but I did not want to move up to Seattle, not enough sun up there.  Plus I don't consider myself a pro programmer, picked up bad habits like spaghetti code that I can't even decipher today, came from a Basic vs. C background.  I know some C, and Java, but mostly I would code in Silktest to test standalone programs and websites, I did that until early retirement last year.

I keep getting hounded to get back into development but I feel I don't have the stamina or attention span to do that anymore.  I worked for some big players in the software industry, the biggest being JDA software.  My ex-boss there still follows me on Facebook, we were close friends and shared many lunches and dinners together.  Working in the software industry was a close-knit society, many of my colleagues moved jobs with me.  You need a strong mathematical and analytical background to work in the profession, skills I gained in college having many good teachers.  Even Psychology is a requirement for some of the AI which goes into these programs.  I have a deep understanding about how our flightsims are coded, I've even cracked some of the code to make adjustments to my aircraft handling in the air.  They are immensely complicated programs which stretch a computer to its limits, much hard work goes into them to keep them compliant with so many different rigs and OS setups.  Ten years from now we will have stupendous flight sims given FSW and XP-11 and P3D.  But I am satisfied with what I have today, yesterday I flew the coast of CA down to the Golden Gate in my Epic LT.  An eight year old PC, still handling FSX and FS9 with AI, all at 30fps. I got the PC at just the right time and kept my GPU upgraded, and my PSU to support it.  I replaced my 350W PSU with a 450W PSU and it eliminated CTD's.

John

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Markie said:

Have u installed it yet? I want to try win 10 one day. So far i use win 7 which is ok for me.

No. My friend said the computer will not be ready (he is building it for me) until Thursday or Friday.

I'd be interested in your experience - my XP box still exists with FS2004 loaded but I hardly ever get to it since I installed my new WIN10 computer.

I am probably too lazy to rebuild my favourite sim to the level that ten years of tweaking produced previously, and nothing less would do... :)

I amuse myself meantime with bursts of AFS2 which in a limited way is great fun, especially in VR. 

Well I will be picking up the new computer on Wednesday. This new computer will have two 1tb SSD hard drives, I will use one drive for P3D and the other for FS9.

I am excited and at the same time not excided about the new computer. I am excited because now I will be using a new sim after all these years. But at the same time I dread the thought of having to rebuild my FS9.